The government can seize your domain indefinately and not even press charges

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, May 5, 2012.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/05/waiting-on-the-riaa-feds-held-seized-dajaz1-domain-for-months.ars

So the government seizes this domain and files for sealed extensions for 9 months and if finally came back that they were basically waiting for evidence from the rights holders. Apparently all it takes to seize a domain is for the RIAA to say so...

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

They're scraping at the end of the barrel at ways to "control" the internet.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this statement, but here's a quote from the OP's article ...

If this is true, then I don't see how "massive unauthorized distribution of pre-release music" can be considered "scraping at the end of the barrel".

4. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Seems like you missed this part "The government would hold the domain for another three months before finally returning it in December with no charges being filed."

If you are seizing property you better well have evidence enough to press charges. This is just an example of the RIAA being in bed with government.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I didn't miss that part.

I didn't comment on that part.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

They are both relevant to each other though. The government should only be allowed to seize property with evidence or detain a person and their estate with evidence and court charges.

It's just despicable.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Whatever happened to probable cause or warrants, or the pre-Hollywood notion of copyright owners using civil remedies for damages and not coopting the DOJ to do their dirty work?

Oh yeah, all that happened.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Absolutely. Another example would be all the lawsuits in which they let go through in which 15 year olds were getting sued for a few million dollars for using Napster to download a few songs, and if they couldn't get money for that they would go through the parents. This also involved forcing ISPs to hand over names and data logging. The government will do virtually whatever the RIAA wants to do. The RIAA is perhaps the most corrupt organization in the US, with the MPAA right besides it. Both spend a fortune in political contributions. And of the numerous politicians of both political sides getting RIAA handouts, both Obama and Clinton have received RIAA money in the past.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Probable what?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:eek:

"Probables, to god-damned hell with probables! We have no probables.

In fact, we don't need probables. I don't have to show you any stinking probables, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!

Come out from that ****-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."