The government is to start "monitoring" blogs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Aug 25, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I thought they already were. Then I noticed this was Ireland-UK. I guess they were just following what is being done here.

I realize this is related to many other things we discuss here. But, I think this does have additional significance when you recall this.

The article is ~10 months old. However, things have not improved since then. They have actually become worse (reference thread "Please tell me (criminalizing the antiwar movement)").

The noose is tightening.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as monitoring blogs, I think that in itself is not particularly shocking or disturbing. Blogs are increasingly important as elements of parajournalism. Governments have always monitored parajournalism -- that seems like a reasonable role for the government. These are public documents, and even if the role of bloggers is different from that of journalists, writers of books, etc, they are still producing items on the public record. They are sometimes even producing first source literature.

Now engaging to me is a different matter. One would hope that after all the embarrassment in the private sector over people at MS and other companies doing this, that the administration would have the sense not to make fools of themselves. Although that is asking a lot....

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

If I were scared, I would be more circumspect about doing it. I would still do it. I have faithfully served my country. I will not surrender my voice of opposition to those who would strip me of my constitutional rights. The WH knows what a powerful weapon fear is. They intimidate the mainstream media through the fear of losing, delaying broadcast licenses (Dan Rather). They threaten them with financial loss through advertising revenue. (CEO CNN). They use fear to keep journalists in line by threatening their careers, they install fear in upcoming politicians by using FOX (and the rest) to destroy their careers (Moyers).

The federal wheels of injustice could rollover me like a piss-ant. No question about it. However, if it ever reaches that level, who would want to live here anyway? Not I.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Your point is well taken. I also omitted a reference to an active campaign to interfere with the blogs/message boards, and note what you have written. Thanks for catching that. ;)

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

So the government will be actively reading blogs to get a pulse on the issues that matter so that they can be addressed, and this is a bad thing? :confused:

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You are a few hours late in making the same point as was done previously (and responded to).

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, gotcha. I think that's the surreal part... that the engagement part is actually stepping up. That's such a waste of time for everyone involved.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I want to know what the big deal is about. It is not like the blogs are private info. The writers put them out in the public for the public to read. Hell if you do not want the government reading your private thoughts then well don't post them on the internet for everyone to read.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We could test the reliability of the story by drawing attention to this thread..

Test Words:

Osama bin Laden

Blackbrair

Red Dash Alpha

now all we have to do is wait..

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe Vice President Cheney could emulate Digg and set up a Dick, and then when your thread gets Dicked, the bandwidth will be arsed, and requests to load the page will get bollocks?

12. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

There is no 'big deal' about the issue you raise; free open access is in the public domain. In fact, this is exactly what the vast majority of people support (myself included). It is the interference, misuse of information and potential censorship which concerns me.

You might recall a series of stories in the 16-24 month ago timeframe? They concerned an individual whom Microsoft paid to visit various websites and engage in flaming, disinformation, etc. As the story developed, a few more names came forward, including an individual who retained evidence of the contact, which he refused to participate in. Eventually, a couple in-depth articles were written. In them, the authors provided examples of how the Administration was also engaged in the same practice. They were not simply reading and analyzing the what was being written. They had active participants engaged in the threads.

At the most benign level, the 'agents' were just offering rebuttal opinions. However, they also were fabricating information, citing false (or unreliable) sources. They were also engaged in disrupting the threads, in hopes of killing the discussion. There is probably a term for this, but I am no longer able to keep up with 25 years of IT and application acronyms.

The *story noted that large active sites had a full-time, ongoing effort. Smaller sites were visited irregularly. There was a linked article, something like "How to identify disinformation". That was also interesting reading.

In summary, if the government wishes to know what its citizens are thinking/saying, that is good. They should know. However, the next question is, what are they going to do with it? The current Administration has not shown me any reason to trust them to act responsibly, or within the laws of the land. I suppose we will find out soon enough.

*I usually like to post links to the reference material I am using in discussion. But, I cannot find any of these by searching Google. I am usually pretty adept at using the search engine. But, I am not having any luck with these. Did anyone link them back when?

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, aren't you?

You should be.

That's not what we're worried about.

Look up, not the problem. It's the monitoring, combined with the rest of the stuff they've been trying to do. Maybe a little premature to starting putting on the tin foil hats, but the implications are worrying none the less. Especially with these jokers.

I wouldn't want Hillary to be able to do this either if God forbid she wins.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Really? Why? Because I'm not.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you not been paying attention? FISA? Eminent domain? At the very least, the implications should make you a little nervous.

Again, in and of itself hopefully not a big deal, but overall it's disquieting at the very least.