The Grandfather of Tough Cases: The Trident Kraken, Watch Out OtterBox Defender!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Nov 27, 2010.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Now if I were looking for a big case I like the look of these over otterbox. Also like how the clip is implemented.

Blue all the way for me http://tridentcase.com/product_2_17.html

I'll stick to just my monoprice front and back shield though.

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yes, and you can take it off. Also, I may try out the Trident Cyclops, like the Commuter yet it offers a little bit more protection.

4. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Might as-well carry your phone in a shoe box with this or the defender....:apple:

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Shouldn't have clicked on this link. Although I'm against big cases and am happy with my monoprice shields / spring-clip. I've been thinking about it and may be picking it up for my outdoor stuff and the kids.

6. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Hahahaha that made me laugh, but I can't agree more.

7. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Haha, that made my day! On a side note, which do you guys think is more shock absorbant, this or the Defender? the Kraken seems to have way more silicone.

8. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Defender is more shock absorbent by far. The Otterbox has a lot more silicone on it.

The Kraken has this thin silicone that stretches out. The hard plastic has the nice matte/rubbery finish. It feels thinner than the Defender and more solid due to the fact it has a lot less silicone. My screen protector on the Kraken watermarked though while the Defender didn't.

The Kraken just feels cheap and the silicone on mine stretch in 2 days of pulling it in and out of my pocket. The clip is functional and pretty cool actually, but I hate clips/holsters so it isn't for me.

The Defender provides a lot more protection except for the fact that the Kraken has fewer overall "holes". The only thing uncovered is the earhole for the earpiece. Everything else has some form of cover on it. With this in mind it is probably more water resistant though I would submerge either since the plastic pieces don't fully seal.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Is the back camera and flash covered?

10. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Taken from their website:
    " Camera lens and logo opening are also protected by clear durable PET film to keep out dust and debris."

11. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

These things are so ugly Apple should not allow them to be sold. Takes a beautiful, sleek, industrial phone and turns it into the equivalent of a giant ugly hunk of silicone. I'm sure you carry one of these and people come up and ask "what type of phone is that?". With the purpose of avoiding such an ugly beast.

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Seems the original Newton was the inspiration for this, Da-Glo colors aside.

I ripped enough blazer pockets with my Newton, so no thanks.

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Ok this case doesn't look at giving as much protection as the defender but I'm looking for something in-between the commuter and defender.

14. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

The Trident Cyclopes?

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I love my Defender, but that case is just not my cup of tea though *shrugs*

16. JASApplications macrumors 65816