The great brain robbery. Stealing IP.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

China using military to steal IP from US companies.

US using public money to buy stolen products from China.

Problem, China has the customer base, you want to play the game, you gotta let them steal from you.

Why bother trying anymore?
    We complain about the "uneven playing field" here in the US, yet look at the world of crooks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/preview-the-great-brain-robbery/

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

For one thing we have to up our game on proper security protocols. If you search on "corporate carelessness data security" the results are eye opening... the enemy is us, for being so lax about this stuff. I'm not saying there isn't state-sponsored and sophisticated hacking going on, but it's amazing how little rocket science is required to get past the gates 90% of the time. It's shameful, really. And shows incompetence at the highest levels (which often don't feel like paying for good security OR being inconvenienced in any way by having it).

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

If you look back at that time frame when Target and others where hacked, there was a long string of hacks, one after another.
    There didn't seem to be any fine for them or at least not enough for a wake up call to get others to act because it just kept happening.

One part of the story that's disturbing is that our government doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. When the government doesn't act it gives China a free pass.

Security can be a back and forth, leap-frog game and there's also the employee that took a bribe.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The US wouldn't do anything like this,no siree Bob.
    Pot,kettle interface.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am surprised companies don't set up honey pots with disinformation... Probably not very effective, but it would be gratifying.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me all these hacks are a symptom of USA companies not taking computer security serious! If one really thinks about this is any company that puts sensitive data on unsecured servers and then management simple passwords and any script kiddy could hack! Only is companies learn about VPN and encrypting sensitive customer data in their networks!

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

China doesn't screw around. They just steal American innovation. Unlike the EU who steals American innovation through the courts.

8. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

That's exactly what I was thinking, setup decoys that are very realistic. If they didn't write the code, they wouldn't understand it and it could be set as a trap when it fails.

However, don't forget, they went after the programmer. In the 80's this was talked about and how it's not legal in the US but is very common in other countries.

IP rights are a part of general property rights and is a VERY important part of economic freedom. When you look at a map of world property rights, you see that the wealthy countries are the ones with the strongest property right. It's an important part of how wealth is created. IP is becoming more and more important part of the creation of wealth.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Undocumented and obfuscated code: our first line of cyber defense!

10. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

In WWII, double agents became very important. If you know a few things:
    1. they will try to steal what you have.
    2. they don't know how to write the code themselves, else they would have.
    3. they don't know how to debug the code.

Setup something that works perfectly (for a while), "let" them steal it, make it hard enough to steal so that they "know" it's valuable.
    Make it such that they have to invest heavy into making it work.
    Then after they've spent the time and money on it, it fails by design.

Years ago, I developed a system. The source code was stolen and I was dropped from the project after about 1 year of development. The system was very close to being done.
    They replaced me with another programmer and we ended up on court. After 2 years in court, they still didn't have the project finished. Programmers quit because they couldn't get the job finished. In court they claimed they had written the code, yet they had no idea how it worked.

It reminds me of a car jacker that stole a car and couldn't drive it because it was a stick shift :D

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I've thought of bringing a server on-line with a domain name like "machiningplutoniumcores.org" just to watch the traffic. Could be interesting.

12. Melab macrumors regular

Explain.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2016 ---
    So what? IP is interventionist.

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Stolen? Or given to?

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/index.htm

Never mind giveaways dating back to 2003, etc...

China has been given rather a lot by US companies, not the government. Just don't laugh when you find articles featuring Microsoft execs whining about piracy. They've been more or less enablers when convenient. If the articles and quotes they present are actually true.

Also look up how China sold the US military counterfeit goods back in 2010 or so, CNET had an article all about it.

14. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I can't see that, if it's owned by a company or a person they have more power and without it they have less rights to what they invent.

15. Melab macrumors regular

It's illegitimate.

16. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

There's always a problem selling to a nation when the product is the same price as in the US. China and many other countries just can't afford our prices. However, they do knock off some expensive brands that are sold in the US.
    Somehow I don't think MS needed to charge the price they did. However, the original story was about wind turbine design that China sold back to the US through the US government.

No clue what you're talking about.