The Great Depression Report.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The World Health Organization came out with a report ranking the most psychologically depressed countries. The US ranked third. From what you see around you, do you think that the rankings are correct ?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

We can't even be number one on that list? Dang! How can anyone not be depressed over that?

Just pop a pill, never look for societal causes. India has a caste system, China is supposedly brutal, but what's the excuse for America?

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Spending too much time in PRSI :) ?

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Look at the choice of candidates of both political parties, who wouldn't be depressed.

5. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think most of the psychological depression is being generated by the economy. Younger people getting out of college with no job and big loans. Middle aged people forced to work multiple jobs. Older people unemployed because of age discrimination.

As far as the election, I think that a great majority of the population are not engaged and the posters in PRSI are not indicative of the typical voter.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Overexposure to clickbait; news that abuses you, filtered by people whose job it is to point out that you are incomplete (and depressed!) without what they will now try to sell you. Could be a pill, some infotainment, a box of rocks. The message is if you don't buy whatever it is, you're a failure. Over and over again, relentlessly. You are too old, young, stupid, worried, smelly, insecure, wrong political party, not hip enough, too unaware of your mortality, too aware of your mortality, almost too late to take advantage of this special offer, and the really big one: too broke to borrow money at prime rates so you can solve all those other issues you've bought into.

The cure is as simple as unplugging all the gear now and then, but it's not easy, is it.

Do they still pitch that thing that chops veggies? I took all but one TV to the landfill in 2004 and that remaining one is up in a closet. That thing that chops veggies was close to the last straw for me one night. I realized that ad was depressing the hell out of me becaseu a) i was watching it and b) i use good knives to chop stuff and c) they were going to keep showing me that ad until I bought it or died.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

I just love the "mute" button on my TV remote.

When the audio of annoying ads is muted, it's easier to repurpose the pictures. One can imagine an alternate voiceover narration, e.g. "You'll never see this product work as well as it appears on TV! We've specially sharpened the blades, and we use fake food made out of sawdust, so it just crumbles if you look at it sideways! But who the hell eats sawdust!! Termites, that's who. So if you're a termite, or an anteater looking for termite bait, order now!!!".

I also notice that with the sound muted, I sometimes evaluate the production quality, or production tricks, or I spot small continuity errors. Obviously, this is made easier by the fact that ads get repeated many times, so every new time it's an opportunity to find another "Waldo", or to mentally compose an alternate voiceover.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So what you are saying is.....Thanks baby boomers.:D

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't try to make that call just by seeing what is around me and trying to extrapolate that into some kind of worldwide comparison. That would require a conclusion that would be highly influenced by personal bias, and in the end worthless as any true measuring stick.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

That was funny, but where is the other 20 paragraphs?

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ran out of bandwidth, baby. ;)

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

Put down the bottle.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

God I should have tried that with those leather jacket ads they were running sometimes. I could have made whole gangsta musicals out of those things.

Continuity errors, I love them. I could read about them on Imdb for an hour at a time if I let myself do it. They're like a Hollywood version of a rare stamp collection.

On topic: by November 9th this country will rank top of WHO's list of depressed nations... unless we intervene now and put up someone amusing to write in. I wonder if we could get the whole country to elect a Chief Entertainer instead of picking one of these pols we're supposed to go for.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Do you think the study is right? I assume this is based on self reporting so there is always a degree of error and cultural and even biological + environmental differences. I would generally say yes.

We do consume the most of antidepressants, but a lot of country such drugs are not widely prescribed and things like Prozac are black market drug. I think that's very much social standards and medicine.

It seems the happiest places on earth live the simplest. The fast paced, competative, success-oriented societies tend to have more stress, more anxiety, and more depression.

There of course is a balance of many aspects of life.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The result of many schools not understanding little rambunctious boys and just drug them with help from Doctors that will write STRONG drugs to little kids!

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You mean these?

I always wished I could purchase one and improve its velocity. It would a fun weapon in a nerf gun battle with the nephews. I always felt I really needed a nerf gatling gun. 20 nerf arrows per second would certainly ensure victory.

17. 5684697 Suspended

If true, it's quite depressing.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It is true. So much for trickle-down economics and free markets bringing happiness. Also, an expensive, inefficient, profiteering US medical system might have something to do with it. The most scary thing is that anxiety and depression are sky-rocketing among young people, and the older generations' responses to this have been snide remarks about snowflakes, triggering, and 1st-world problems, how they walked barefoot through 30 miles in snow to get to school, etc....

If we're not careful, we'll reap as we sow. Inequalities in wealth, health, opportunity, education, social mobility, and respect are catching up with us.

19. 5684697 Suspended

Uphill, both ways.

And yes, sometimes having and overcoming adversity makes you happier. And happiness, is a serious problem.

One thing I see is a lack of fitness, and study after study shows that people who work out and are fit suffer far less from depression.

Another tip is to turn off the doggone television and talk radio. Your IQ will go up and your BP will go down.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You're right about blood pressure for sure. Ever since I ditched the TV in 2004, my blood pressure has hung in there at right about 115/65. Used to be 138/72 or thereabouts. Exercise and not getting mired in infotainment are really good antidotes to situational depresssions. I used to zone out on TV reruns when I was tired or annoyed about something, but now I attack undesired vegetation in the gardens, or dispatch snow piled up in the walkways in winter.

Wonder how much my missing eyeballs cost the advertisers over those 12 years?! Funny if they were pitching anti-depressants or OTC weight loss pills etc. Get off butt and move around instead solves a whole lot of problems all at once.