The Great IRS Scandal fizzles into nothing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 23, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

After a two year investigation ...

Obviously this means congress needs to convene more hearings.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let's be clear, they circled the wagons on this one and even the judge stated: “Our investigation uncovered substantial evidence of mismanagement, poor judgment and institutional inertia, leading to the belief by many tax-exempt applicants that the IRS targeted them based on their political viewpoints,” Assistant Attorney General Peter Kadzik wrote to Congress on Friday. “But poor management is not a crime.”

Lois Lerner not testifying in order to not incriminate herself tells us everything we need to know, they did it and got away with it. Bravo.

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

In my entire working career, in both public and private sectors, I've seen mismanagement a majority of the time. The only thing I suspect she was getting away with was being responsible for duties that she should have handled more professionally and proficiently. Well, welcome to my experience with bosses too.

As the DOJ suggests, while that might be a shame, it's not a crime.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

The government has investigated itself and found nothing wrong. Yay?

5. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

There have been plenty of times the government has investigated itself and found something wrong.

Do you think the government has ceased to be able to hold itself accountable on any level?

6. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

I'm sure the lame stream media would be crapping all over themselves if Republicans had done what the Dems did. Life will be interesting if the Dems are unsuccessful in creating the permanent Democratic Party they envision.

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds like it would make for a great movie.

You should work on the screenplay.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Graham Greene is right, cynicism is cheap.

I always enjoy the tales of Earth Two.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Another scandal that wasn't. The real scandal is these political groups having tax exempt status, Karl Rove's Crossroads as an example. Plenty on the left too.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You can continue to kid yourself on this, just because they weren't able to force people to testify to get the evidence they needed does not mean there was no crime committed.

I'm not particularly a fan of the tea party, but it's pretty obvious that political bias played a role in these IRS investigations otherwise there would be no reason to "take the 5th". How embarrassing that you can't even talk about what you do at work without incriminating yourself. Proud day for the IRS.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Leftist groups were targeted as much as right groups.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ergo, the old white guys post revolutionary war were probably correct in safeguarding liberty through creation of three branches of government.

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, taking the 5th is essentially a full confession of guilt. :rolleyes:

How amazing, the GOP needs to resort to all of these petty tin-hat conspiracy allegations in order to smear the reputation of Democratic leaders because they fail to persuade the American public on a policy level. The GOP is nothing more than a bunch of inept whinny crybabies.

14. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I think she took the 5th because she (or more likely her lawyer) was smart enough to see Republicans hungry for a scandal. Since this whole thing wasn't going to involve the White House, and the real prize the Republicans wanted, she was the one who'd be held responsible. So she took the 5th.

If this thing did extend beyond her office she could have been given a deal to testify against her higher-ups. But as the DOJ showed, this was a localized case of poor management, and not a plot to deny Tea Party groups their tax exempt status.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The main stream right wing news, talk radio, and blogosphere, did not make that big a deal of it as I recall, at least for not very long. Hard to stay focused with the flood of liberal offenses drowning them daily. ;)

16. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Too many liberals running Hollywood for it to ever get off the ground.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Michael Bay is making a Benghazi movie.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

John Milius should make "Benghazi Wolverines."

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What we saw is a masterful performance from HRC.

With no scruples, no conscience, no desire to save others from death, she sat there steely eyed and refused to answer a single question. Even more revealing was how expertly she deflected all responsibility to those around her.

The Libs, her fellow Dems are basking in the joy of this macabre "victory".

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow... You are scary. My impression your reference is to the last Bengazi hearing. Fortunately, the first part of your proclamation gives you away. Did you even watch the hearings or just listen to Limbaugh's and Hannity's appraisals?

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Strangely enough, in my entire working career, good management has been the rule the majority of the time.

Now, I've seen plenty of mismanagement and waste, I just haven't worked within it. While we are on the subject, the healthcare business is surely the most mismanaged in America.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Steely eyes"?!

[​IMG]
    This look doesn't say, "I'll kill you with my own bare hands." This look says, "Omigod, are you people for real?"

23. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

More like "I can't believe they won't buy my lies."

24. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

There, I fixed your quote.

25. Renzatic, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is something that just came to mind. She's accused of ignoring orders to strengthen security at the Benghazi embassy, then ignoring all requests for help as the situation there deteriorated. It's apparently a dastardly, horrible, terrible thing she's done, callously disregarding their pleas for assistance as those died around them. Possibly cackling all the while.

But...

Why would she do that? What would she gain from it politically? I don't think this has ever been addressed. She apparently just did it without any motive or reasoning behind it, which obviously, isn't something anyone would do.