The Great SSD Poll - are the JMicron Drives fine in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artagra, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Have you experienced stuttering in OS X on a JMicron based SSD?

1. Yes - it was bad enough that I stopped using the drive.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes - but it was really not that bad, so I continued to use the drive regardless.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No - the drive has worked flawlessly from the word go.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. No - but I've had other issues with the drive (strange performance issues, sleep issues, etc)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Artagra macrumors member

So, I've been reading up a lot on SSD's over the last six months - probably into the hundreds of hours (I run an online shop, so much of it was in order to give clients the right advice). One interesting thing I've noted: Every 'windows' review of the JMicron drives from a source I trust (anandtech, pc perspective, bit-tech, etc) have said that it should be avoided due to the stuttering issue. And everything I've seen posted on the forums reinforces this.... under windows. Sure, I've seen tons of posters saying to avoid the JMicron drives on a mac, and then linking to the common reviews. However, I've yet to find a single poster claiming to have major stuttering issues in OS X (I'm not too interested in VM's) themselves. Hence the post! I've been playing around with a 128gb Mushkin SSD in my Unibody MB (2.0ghz), and thus far have not experienced any stuttering, and significantly improved performance over a 7200RPM drive. Now, obviously it's nowhere near the Intel or the OCZ Vertex - but, considering the price, I think that the JMicron drives might be an awesome option for the 'budget orientated' SSD-desiring macbook owner.

Be honest, and only vote if you have a drive using a JMicron controller (either single or in Raid) - ie, don't post if you have a drive with a Samsung, Indilinx (OCZ Vertex), or Intel controller.

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I had the G Skill Titan 256GB. It was very warm, and drained my battery. My battery life on my Unibody 17" went from 7hrs to 4:30 hrs. Plus it took an act of congress to get OSX installed.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

"the drive has worked flawlessly from the word go"

I think you meant, from the get-go ;)