The Grove - Apple Store - Los Angeles

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Stenorocket, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Stenorocket macrumors newbie

I have a confirmed preorder and plan on getting to The Grove about 4am. I want to get the phone and make it to work nearby by 830am. Hopefully Grove management/security will be ready and willing to let people get in line. Anybody else planning an early arrival and if so, what time?

2. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

how much is the parking and at what time do they let people into the mall? Isnt parking closed during the night?

3. Mercury macrumors regular

The parking is free with validation, though the Apple store's validation probably won't be able to cover your entire time there if you arrive early and camp out.

I'm trying to remember where I parked the day the first iPhone came out and I camped out at the Grove. I had some friendly people save my place in line while I went to grab a beer and clam chowder at the Farmer's Market. Good times.

4. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Did anybody ask how they hand the 2 lines? Some let them in at the same time while other have a 2:1 ratio (2 reserved to one walk-in).

5. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

the grove is going to be the busiest store in la. if you want to get to work by 8:30 you're going to have to get there at midnight at the latest.

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

When I went for the 3GS launch I waited a good 5 hours in line but I didnt arrive until 7 in the morning. Will they allow us to camp out the night before? Or will they not let us line up until the early morning hours?

BUT it is also one of the best places to wait, outside and the Farmers Market is a nice touch. As one member mentioned, getting a nice cold one while waitiing inline it IDEAL!

7. roberry82 macrumors member

Time to arrive?

What time are you guys trying to get there? I called security at The Grove to ask what time we'd be allowed to form a line, but they didn't have an answer for me and said they'd call me back. I was thinking of getting there around 3 or 4 am. I tried to reserve two phones on the 15th for pickup at The Grove, and was successful reserving one, but the second reservation gave me an error. I'm hoping there won't be any issues.

8. Iboy4 macrumors newbie

Guys, I've spoken with mall security and they don't allow over night waiting on premise. The earliest you can wait in line is 5am. If they catch you on premise any time before this, you will be asked to leave. So 5 am it is :)

9. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

That means that the line will start outside the mall well before 5am so there will be people waiting over night.

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I'm getting home delivery - but I wanted to go to the Apple Store on the 24th to get a dock and possibly a case. The Grove is my closest Apple Store. If I get there right when it opens, can I just buy the accessories and leave without dealing with the monstrous line?

I've never been lucky enough not to have to wait in a huge line for an iPhone, so this will be my first time just going for accessories.

Thanks if anyone knows.

11. Stenorocket thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info.

In light of all the info, I've decided to take the day off. Then I can sync my phone and shoot some HD video at The Grove. I'll still be getting there early around 4am. I'll post the line status around 5am.

12. DJprodiji macrumors newbie

if you're getting there before or around 5am, chances are good that you can park for free just outside the grove on fairfax or beverly. there's plenty of street parking. just watch for signs that say no parking 7am-9am

13. Mac Divine macrumors newbie

As long as you are not purchasing or picking up an iPhone 4, you will be allowed into the store to purchase your accessories.

by the Way, the Apple Store @ the Groove will open @ 7am on June 24th ;)

14. Stenorocket thread starter macrumors newbie

Acessories

When I was in line for the iPad, people were told to come back at the usual opening time for anything other than iPads. The early opening was only for that product. You could call the store and ask. I found asking for a supervisor helps. I've gotten different answers from employees on the same question in the past.

15. Stenorocket thread starter macrumors newbie

Who's in?

Anybody else know what time they're going to get to The Grove store?

16. roberry82 macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting there around 430 am. 5 am seems to be the time that security will allow folks in the grove.

17. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

One poster mentioned for the original iphone he was able to camp out.. so have they changed the rules for this years launch?

18. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Good source has told me several celebrities will be coming in to pick up their phones without having to wait in line...

19. adster macrumors regular

When I bought my 3GS last year on launch day, Stevie Wonder came in and was purchasing one with the rep next to me, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Cue the jokes.

20. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I'm sure he'll be back again, I'm sure he will appreciate the new Retina Display.. :p

21. Stenorocket thread starter macrumors newbie

Line for iPhone 4

A few of us have checked with Grove security and they said no camping. But with these events, things change all the time. They tell you one thing one day and the next day they let people camp out. So it's really anybody's guess. I'm planning on getting there around 4 or 430 and just wait. I was going to go to work but just took the day off.

22. DJprodiji macrumors newbie

Glad I'm in on night shift...I'll be headin over right after work, which is likely between 2 and 4. Also, if anyone wants to chip in on some Damiano's pizza, let me know. They're open til 6am :-D

23. Mercury macrumors regular

FYI, if you're referring to my post, my "camping out" was during the day because the iPhone launched at 2 or 3 PM. The store closed and re-opened.

I actually have no idea what I'm going to do tomorrow!

24. phas3 macrumors 65816

yes! I knew i'd find a thread about the grove. Anyway I 've got one reserved there i'll be leaving my place here at marina del rey at 3:30 should get there at 4. WIll try to post back on this thread

25. Echthros macrumors member

Does anyone know the approximate turnout over at the Grove based on previous experience?

I'll be a walk-in and I'm checking out different Apple stores to be able to weigh my chances of getting an iPhone as best I can.