Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Have people seen the new Guardian official app? I'm really impressed. Much better than I was expecting. Cusomisable front page, galleries, audio content, offline caching. Here's some screenshots:

Attachments

• guardian1.png
    guardian1.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 89
  • guardian2.png
    guardian2.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 77
  • guardian3.png
    guardian3.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 81
  • guardian4.png
    guardian4.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 85
  • guardian5.png
    guardian5.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 81

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
That's looking good. I read The Guardian online every day so will install this app ASAP. Many thanks. I trust it is a free app?

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
that's good. The Guardian is the only paper I read on a regular basis, so I'm pleased to have a good iPhone app for it!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The offline button is a bit hidden - it should be up the top since it's the one that'll need hitting most often. It's a shame the iPhone doesn't have a task scheduler to do it for me.

Also no comments at all, which is really annoying - the comments are the only reason to read CiF, they're better written than the vast, vast majority of it's articles...

Phazer

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
The offline button is a bit hidden - it should be up the top since it's the one that'll need hitting most often. It's a shame the iPhone doesn't have a task scheduler to do it for me.

Also no comments at all, which is really annoying - the comments are the only reason to read CiF, they're better written than the vast, vast majority of it's articles...

Phazer

agree on the offline button. Should be more obvious.

Comments are in there. Just tap "more" and "comments" is about a quarter of the way down - is this what you were referring to? You can then edit the toolbar and add them to that if you want.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
agree on the offline button. Should be more obvious.

Comments are in there. Just tap "more" and "comments" is about a quarter of the way down - is this what you were referring to? You can then edit the toolbar and add them to that if you want.

No, I mean blog comments etc underneath the pieces, not the presence of Comment is Free - which is useless in the Guardian without the comments as they're the only place where all the factual errors made in the factual pieces are corrected.

Phazer

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
If you looking for an alternative i'd recommend The Telegrpahs app. It's really good just recently been updated. Also has Twitter integration. And best of all - it's free.

AnDy

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
i don't quite understand the nature of these news apps.. (sky news, guardian etc..)..

why not just use a RSS reader which pulls in feeds from various news sources instead?

maybe i'm being old skool? ;)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Used the Guardian app for the last couple of days, very impressed. Although a G reader, I've previously been using the Independent app. Not anymore. Although I'm using a 3G and have the ability to browse online pretty much anywhere, the ability to cache a load of stuff via wifi before leaving the house is a real godsend - fantastic for Touch users. £2.39 very well spent - only marginally more than one copy of the paper Saturday edition!

PhantomZone

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Really impressed with it! Serious amount of content and flexibilty!

The BBC have really missed the boat here....:(

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
What's wrong with using the BBC's mobile site?

Nothing but I just think an apps more neat and tidy. I'd buy it in a heart beat the BBC news is by far the best. They could do a much better job than the Sky enws app which is awful.

AnDy

Bungle73

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
UK
The BBC's mobile site works pretty well, I don't see how it could be improved with an app tbh.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
The BBC's mobile site works pretty well, I don't see how it could be improved with an app tbh.

Offline browsing, sharing articles via twitter, facebook etc, favourites (articles & sections) would all be useful features for me that aren't available from the mobile website.

Hejog

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
as news junkies i'd be really interested in your feedback on my application, Broadersheet.

It has all the functionality of the guardian app (offline reading etc) but works for *any* news source: from the financial times, the guardian, etc etc. $4.

read more about it here: http://broadersheet.com

Sobek

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Very impressed with The Guardian app! It's amazing how much more flexible it feels than navigating a web page. Well worth the cash, and downloading articles is brilliant. Shame the audio only works over wifi though. Not that I want to be drawn into speculation, but it would be brilliant on a tablet too....

PhantomZone

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009

Well that's great you're happy with the safari version, saves you a couple of quid! Without going into the ins and outs I'm sure the offline content mode alone makes it worth buying for most!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.