The Harsh Truth Exposed by the Midterm Elections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m not normally a fan of Peter Beinart but this is spot on. Oh and the caravan will suddenly not exist.

Once upon a time, when Democrats campaigned on economic security, Republicans countered with economic opportunity. Democrats promised protection by government; Republicans promised liberation from government. But the libertarian, anti-government rhetoric of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan in 2012 is long gone. Despite a booming economy, Republicans didn’t even campaign heavily on tax cuts.

In the Trump era, Republicans counter economic security with cultural security. Trump promised to protect Americans from Latino murderers and women who destroy men’s lives by alleging sexual assault. And, to a significant extent, it worked. By mobilizing his white, rural base, Trump matched Democratic enthusiasm in purple states such as Florida and Ohio and overwhelmed Democratic incumbents in red states such as North Dakota, Indiana, and Missouri. It’s an old game: W. E. B. Du Bois famously called it the “psychological wage.” Instead of protecting white people from economic hardship, you protect them from the racial demons you’ve stirred up in their minds. And Trump is this era’s undisputed master of that game. He understood that as frightened as many Americans are of losing their health care, he—with the help of Fox News—could make them even more frightened of Honduran asylum-seekers. Now that the election is over, I suspect the caravan will disappear from Fox’s screens and Trump’s Twitter feed—until something like it is needed again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/trump-and-harsh-truth-exposed-midterms/575128/

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Not sure how (some) Republicans can say in the same breath that immigrants are taking your jobs and then say - we need immigrants (and more babies to be born) to fill all the jobs we have.

3. kapolani macrumors 6502

You do understand there's a difference between illegal 'immigrants' and legal immigrants, correct?

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I do. Do the conservatives that say the above know?

5. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Are conservatives saying something against legal immigration?

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Not in public, anyway.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You do know and understand that there is a difference between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers, correct?

Yes. They are conflating illegal immigration with legal asylum.

BL.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

You forgot "willfully" and "disingenuously".

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I do not think its conservatives, only #45.

IIRC, since almost day 1 #45 was preventing legal immigrants from entering USA.
    You know, those from Muslim majority countries in middle east (except Saudi).
    Those with correct visas where prevented entry.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 ---
    What caravan?
    :p

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Illegal immigrants is dog whistle language for "not white". It's not truly about people crossing the border. You can read comments on Youtube, Twitter, news websites, etc. People really let loose their true feelings there. It's the same with NFL kneeling. It's not really about kneeling during a game. Or - if you want to say that it is - it could be "violence in Chicago". Or "I'm a nationalist" (wink wink).

Its fear mongering, simple as that.

Of course, there's exceptions to everything. Not everyone who is anti-illegal immigration are racist or unaccepting of legal immigrants. Not everyone against NFL kneeling has another reason behind it. But a large swath of people do, and that's exactly who Trump is trying to court. He's not even shy about it.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The all too important crutch concepts that republicans have learned to lean on as well were left out... Gerrymandering & Voter Suppression.

12. kapolani, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

kapolani macrumors 6502

Asylum... Riiiiigggghhhttt.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As I stated before:

https://reliefweb.int/report/united...migration-and-central-american-asylum-seekers
    • U.S. asylum law applies to those who have a well-founded fear of persecution “on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.” Those fleeing generalized crime and violence in their home country do not easily fit into these categories. Nevertheless, at times U.S. immigration judges have interpreted this law so as to grant asylum to Central American migrants who can demonstrate “a well-founded fear of persecution”within the standards described above, or who qualify for protectionunder the UN Convention Against Torture.

• Due to the way that Central American gangs operate, in many cases women and children are targeted by these criminal groups precisely because they are women and children, which U.S. courts have repeatedly interpreted as them being persecuted due to “membership in a particular social group.” - Children and young adults are particularly vulnerable to death threats, as local gangs often try to forcibly recruit them, extort them, or in the case of girls, pressure them into relationships with gang members (see this short video series featuring Central American children who fled their home countries because of threats to their lives). Women and underage youths are attractive recruits for gangs because they can draw less attention from authorities when carrying out tasks such as smuggling drugs and weapons, or collecting extortion payments. Others may face persecution from gangs on account of their sexuality or gender, their religion, their resistance to gang activity, (e.g., refusing to pay extortion fees), or because one of their family members has ties to a gang. All of this can form the grounds for an asylum petition, as applicants are not fleeing “generalized” crime and violence in their home country.

• Children and families who feel threatened flee their communities, often heading for the safety of the United States, because they have little confidence that corrupt police forces or other institutions can protect them. UNHCR interviews with Central American women seeking protection in the United States found that “the women consistently stated that police and other state law enforcement authorities were not able to provide sufficient protection from the violence.”
    Don't blame them or us if codified law isn't the Trumpspeak that you don't want to hear. If they have the case for legal asylum, then once they come here and request asylum, they are not here illegally. That is codified law.

BL.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Funny because this is exactly what you are doing.... In most instances there is no difference.. Just because someone can mutter the words from a scripted sheet of paper does not make them a legitimate refuge seeking asylum.

Gee, why do you think most of these seekers never show up for their court hearings?

Yeah I know your favorite word - codified law - and all that which is exactly why immigration and these crappy laws need to be addressed.... They are easily taken advantage of by many..

Come here legally or do not come at all unless you have a legit asylum request.. Most are bogus which is why they never show for their hearing ---> years later.....

15. jerwin macrumors 68020

The difference, if there truly is one, hardly matters.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Yeah, I'm still waiting on the border wall with Canada.

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I’m still waiting on that caravan nobody seems to care about now. A clear lie by Trump to tell his base thousands or millions of illegal voters were going to vote for Hillary.

-The caravan is too far away to make it here, might not even get into Mexico.
    -If they did get here, there’s no evidence they’d make it in.
    -If they didn’t get in, it would be because of border patrol, not the military.
    -The military was and is a facade.
    -There’s no proof these people are coming here to vote.
    -It’s not easy to vote illegally. In many cases - say, Georgia - it’s not easy to vote legally.

Trump supporters would let Trump crap down their throat if he told them he had a cure for cancer.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, yeah. I hate being painted a Liberal just for pointing out the obvious.

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don’t know your actual political leanings, but there are a few moderate conservatives still breathing. John Kasich, Charlie Barker. We will see if Mitt Romney is a check on his own party.... There is hope.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It’s the Fear and Prejudice game, with apparently lots of players, brought to you by the head Propagandist. :oops:

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I feel you got my point. Reason shouldn't be partisan. Because...duh!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 ---
    Yes, but if history has taught us anything, that line of thinking always amounts to a Ponzi scheme.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m not sure what you are saying, there has been lots of damage done over the last two years, because we have citizens and enablers in Congress who are allowing Trump’s antics.

The GOP is so incredibly bankrupt, but look, they are still there, wheeling and dealing to take the country down and I’m not talking about stock market profits. I’m Talking about every single value we hold dear, being subverted in the name of political power.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

What I was (and am saying) is exactly what you're going for. The GOP is all about short-term gains, regardless of the ultimate consequences. It's clever, if you're a sociopath. Again, lest i seem partisan, the Democrats are no bowl full of cherries either, but the seem to have some modicum of decency.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Come on Sam. I've read enough of your posts and know you are smart enough to know the issue is ILLEGAL immigrants.

Please stop putting all immigrants in the same basket.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

We are people, flawed people. And when I look at the two primary parties in power, as flawed as they might be, the Democrats are an easy choice. Today’s GOP is a complete distaster and disgrace. When they jettisoned truth and honesty, and continue to enable the Head acrook, they lost everything, and we as a Nation will suffer for it as long as citizens enable the GOP to play their game of Fool’d Ya.