The Hat Trick: Student Kills Himself After Being Secretly Taped Having Sex

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This definitely has to stop. This is America, and we should be better than this type of behaviour. But apparently, thanks to fear and paranoia (mainly in the media), we aren't.

Seriously, everyone. This needs to stop, and now.

The story goes on further to say:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130225495

So yes.. a Mac was used to secretly record this guy having sex with another guy, and broadcast to anyone/everyone on the 'net. Personally, I hope they get the full sentence, and not a commuted sentence (read: suspended, community service, etc.).

BL.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can't imagine what it will take to stop it.

We're only getting more plugged in... more prone to exposure.

I hope you're not expecting people to start behaving better.

That ain't happening.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

perhaps the only way to make it stop is a complete disconnect?

I agree we are exposing ourselves more in social networks such as forums, youtube (broadcast yourself), and facebook. with better privacy controls I believe we can minimize the risk.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Better privacy controls won't stop people from posting stuff about you, which is what happened in this case.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This is a very sad story but the guys who taped this shouldn't be put in jail any longer than normal peeping toms or whatever those people get. The fact that this student killed himself is really quite sad but seems immaterial to the sentences of the people who taped it. What they did was absolutely horrendous but you can't just throw people in jail because someone reacted in a way that ended in his death. Everyone has been bullied, and I'm sure gay kids/teens/students have been bullied more/worse than most, but that doesn't mean that the bullies should get thrown in for life because the student took it a certain way that resulted in suicide.

Again, sad story all around, but let's not be too reactionary here; bullying happens, but it's up to the bullied individual to react in a certain way. I'm fully in favor of spreading the word on different help lines/therapy/etc, but people do have to take responsibilities for how they react to things, no matter the situation, and we can't just throw all the burden on the person who started the ball rolling.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw this story. Second time in less than 24 hours that I've been utterly sickened by the news.

I agree, this has to stop. And if charging these two with a hate crime helps, I'm all for it.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

OK, what part of this has to stop? The part about filming people without their consent? That I can agree too. The part of angst ridden people killing themselves, well, yeah that sucks too.

On both sides it is the same problem, they need to grow up. Responsibility for one's actions, taking your own life is the ultimate skip out on that.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not in favor of blaming the victim...especially in this case. This wasn't some prank -- these guys sought out to publicly humiliate Clementi in an outrageous way. "How could I have known he'd commit suicide?" is a pretty damn weak defense.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Bad Andy. :mad:

It's time to get the message out into the World.

Sorry kids, but it's example time.

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Very sad story indeed... but you must have a stronger stomach than most people. It'd be a great day if I read the news and was 'utterly sickened' only twice by the day's stories!

Anyway... hate-crime laws are BS. They should get charged and convicted for whatever crime they committed and get the book thrown at them... but no more than anyone else committing the same crime. We need to stop segmenting Americans into groups at the governmental level if we ever hope to get beyond racism, bigotry, homophobia and related.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Guess what? The person who's dead paid the ultimate price. These POS's need to go to jail. It seems like it's been open season on gay youth this month, and it needs to stop. If an example needs to be made, then dammit, it should be made with these two. The crime they committed carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison. They should get the maximum sentence. Shame on you Badandy.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The difference to me is that a normal peeping Tom usually spies for their own private enjoyment. This spying was put out on the net for everyone to see and the only reason why someone would do this is to cause public embarrassment and ridicule to the victim involved.

With that said, I'm not sure I understand why some crimes are considered hate crimes and others are not. It seems like any crime againt another human that hurts that person is a hate crime.

13. felt. macrumors 6502a

I agree, killing yourself has to stop. But video taping your roommate having sex and broadcasting it is kinda funny.

14. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

+1

People need to learn to handle things a little more rationally.

Because normal crimes just aren't juicy enough to satisfy our American thirst for tragedy. We need to blow everything out of proportion, instead. It's more fun that way.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or maybe, people should learn not to tape their roommate having sex and put it on the internet. Just maybe. The two need to serve the maximum penalty for this crime. If you don't think they do, you need to tell me why.

16. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Bolded for emphasis.

They should serve the appropriate sentence for the crime of invading someone else's privacy and publishing their private acts on the web for all to see.

That's it, that's where it ends. The part about the kid killing himself is tragic, but bad stuff happens to everyone. We don't just go killing ourselves over it, or at least we shouldn't. If this happened to you, would you take your own life? I sure hope not..

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No one has suggested they serve more than that, myself included. I don't know what you're getting so indignant about. This crime carries a maximum of five years, and they'd better get it- no community service, no BS like that.

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I don't recall stating otherwise. What bothers me is all this "making an example of out them" nonsense. Seems to suggest that we sentence them above and beyond due to the nature in which the victim chose to handle the situation. What exactly do we all mean by this, if that is not the case?

Punish them, as you would punish anyone else for doing the same where the victim did not take his/her own life, and that's that. I don't see the need to make an example out of them. People know doing stuff like this is wrong, but they do it anyways. Sad, but true.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Videotaping your roommate having sex, showing him once, and deleting it COULD be funny if the roomate had a sense of humor. Videotaping your roomate having sex (gender irrelevant) and broadcasting it is criminal.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why? Because this kind of thing is getting worse and more frequent, that's why. There are varying penalties because of the situation involved. You cannot take the fact that someone ended their life due to the actions of these two fools. That's part of it. You also have no idea what these two had done to this kid before this.

21. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So? These kids get the raw end of the stick simply because you've had enough? There's got to be a better way to teach people right and wrong.

No it isn't. That was his own choice. I've been embarrassed to the point of tears and being mortified in front of my family and closest friends, and I never once thought of jumping off a bridge.

No, I don't. So why are we taking it into consideration, if not for only to punish these kids further because of our personal feelings toward the situation?

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's sad and it was wrong of them to do it but... this.

23. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Sorry, Andy, but there is a principle in law that says you take your victim as you find him. It is colloquially known as the "eggshell skull" rule: if you deliver a punch that would not harm a normal person to a person who, unbeknownst to you, has a very thin skull which shatters, killing him, then your ignorance of that condition does not absolve you of murder.

Given that we accept it is possible to harass someone into suicide in a way that a reasonable person would find legally actionable, the perpetrators' ignorance of how their victim might be inclined to react to specific sorts of harassment is not really a defense.

Being outed is a brutal thing, and who, gay or straight, wants to find their sexual encounters posted on the web? But to combine the two is pretty monstrous, and I don't think the fact that this pair clearly didn't give that a moment's thought is much of a defense either.

25. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Oh get real. Some some weak minded person who was probably deceiving his family and his friends got exposed and his death is the fault of those who exposed him? Heck, if he was some religious nut who got exposed people here like you would be cheering it.

They don't need any more jail time than what the last people convicted of a similar crime got, IF ANY. Kicked out of school, sure, provided its not a government institution.