The HDD I got for my PS3 may belong in my MBP? Advice Please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Chewbacca, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

So, I have finally started using my ps3 that I have had for ever and filled up the 80gb hdd in short order. I ordered a Western Digital WD Scorpio Black 750 GB SATA 3 GB/s 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache

Here is the dilemma, I am running a 2011 17' MBP with 16gb ram and 750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF (couldn't figure out the Cache)

Is it worth the effort to install the new drive in the MBP and use the mac's hdd in the ps3 or is the stock better as is? I have a 3tb external drive and the MBP is backed up with Time Machine on a time capsule so backups shouldn't be a problem.

I have never switched a HDD before, will it void the apple care? Is it a big hassle or plug and play? Is it even worth the effort? I'm most likely going to keep my current MBP as long as possible so maybe just the fact that the new one is new would be reason enough??

I have always trusted the good advise given on these forums.. thanks!!

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Replacing the hardrive is an iffy issue when it comes to AppleCare. If you damage anything while replacing it or if the hardrive causes any damage due to you replacing it it will not be covered. In any other case it should be.

To answer your "Is it worth it" question: Do you want faster boot ups and application openings? If so, then yes, but it won't be huge.

(NOTE that I do not know if the drive in question is compatable or not)

3. prisstratton, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

To answer your questions:

It is not really that much effort to install the new drive in the MBP. Your new drive is faster and you will see a performance increase.

Switching drives will NOT void your Apple Care, it is considered a USER upgradeable part in your MBP. It is not a big hassle and IS virtually plug and play. It is worth the effort (although it is not much effort), as you will see a more responsive system (but if you want the ultimate then go with a SSD).

The process is as follows:

Install your new drive into a USB HDD enclosure and plug it into your system via a USB port
    Partition the drive as GUID and format as Mac OS (extended journaled)
    Clone your existing drive to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (the free download will work for 30 days and do what you want)
    Option boot your system and select the cloned drive to boot from just to check that everything is working okay
    If everything is okay, physically swap the drives

All Done……..

4. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Thanks for the reply! Looks like we have the same system.. I was planing on a new MBP every 2 years but love the 17". Cant part with it.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You should have just stuck with "I don't know."

OP - You'll be fine, people do it all the time, however I actually take part of that back re-reading your post. I would highly recommend NOT putting a 7200 RPM drive in your PS3 as the additionally heat will likely be an issue. The "speed" difference on the PS3 is not something you're going to notice, the space will. Enjoy!

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Talk about loads of misinformation. The only accurate assessment you have made is "Do you want faster boot ups and application openings? If so, then yes, but it won't be huge."

Stick with what Interstella5555 said, "I don't know".

7. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_pro_17inch_early2011.pdf

"If you attempt to install a replacement drive or memory and damage your equipment,
    such damage is not covered by the warranty on your computer."

8. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Thank you for all of your input, very helpful. I was concerned about the risk, however small, of damaging my MBP switching out the HDD with one of identical size even it is is a bit faster but it seems it will be noticeably faster so cool!!

Even more important it had not even occurred to me that the new HDD could damage the ps3.. thats huge!

Usually I can just search old posts to find my answer but on the occasion I have to ask a new question I always get great feed back.

One other question, since I have time machine on the network drive (time capsule) would it still be easier to clone the HDD first or restore from the latest time machine back up? It took a full day to make the initial back up so i'm sure it will be a long process.

Thanks again!

9. prisstratton, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

You could really do whichever you please or felt most comfortable with. I have done both and I found the cloning to be the simpler procedure, but not by much.

I think I liked the idea of the cloning a little better. It gave me peace of mind knowing that I had a complete bootable duplicate of everything right at that point in time.

The length of the process depends on how much of the drive you have used up. Last year when I cloned my drive to a new Intel SSD (see my sig.), I had used 40 GB on my drive, so the whole process took little more than half an hour.

Here is a video demonstrating the HDD upgrade on our model MBP:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_17_unibody_early11_hd/

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I would put the drive in the PS3 and keep your existing drive in the MBP. When you want to spend the money, get a SSD for the MBP. It will extend the live beyond the 2 years you were planning.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555