The headphone jack was replaced by... a bigger taptic engine

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeexperience, Sep 14, 2016.

?

What do you prefer?

1. a headphone jack

2. a bigger taptic engine

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tubeexperience, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

According to the teardown of the iPhone 7, the headphone jack was removed to make room for a much bigger taptic engine.

What do you prefer? A bigger taptic engine or a headphone jack?

[​IMG]

2. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Honestly I'd take the Taptic Engine. The possibilities for integration within apps and the OS is exciting to me. I've got a couple of nice pairs of wired earbuds, but I'm OK to use the dongle and can count the times I've charged and listened to music on one hand.

For others I totally get it if they'd prefer the headphone jack.

3. menist macrumors regular

menist

I rather have a smaller taptic engine and a bigger battery.

4. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I'd rather have the jack. Wish they had kept the clicky button and kept water resistance like Samsung's S7 line.

I know the headphone jack will have to go sometime but I'm not ready yet, and Bluetooth headphones for me aren't worth the sound tradeoff.

5. Gathomblipoob, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Bigger taptic engine. I've loathed the 3.5mm headphone jack since I was born in 1955.

6. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I would rather have a headphone jack which I actually use over a bigger taptic engine which is a gimmick.

7. Plumber007 macrumors member

Plumber007

Not sure what the Taptic is supposed to do other than massage my finger. So, yea, the headphone jack or anything useful would do.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Engine.

I wear cargo shorts and can never really feel the current alert vibrations from my 6sP on my front pocket.

Hope the bigger engine helps.

9. coconutcrackers macrumors newbie

And tubeexperience's obsession with the headphone jack removal continues, lol. You should get a job, bud. It will distract you from your unhealthy obsession, and put some money in your pocket so you can afford wireless headphones.

10. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Nah. I don't to pay more for inferior audio quality.

Also, I like my job and don't plan to get another.

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

If Apple would just adopt aptX and aptX HD like the Samsung Note 5 then you could have Superior Audio quality without loss or lag or low quality. As Walt Mossberg said the W1 chip does nothing to improve audio quality.

So if you want 192kbps 24-bit you get a 3.5mm jack or a device with aptX or aptX HD

12. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

I don't know how you've managed to reach conclusions on a device you haven't used yet. How is the taptic engine a "gimmick"? How is the wireless audio "inferior"? You don't know. You could be right, but at this stage you're guessing.

13. Techman82 macrumors member

Battery capacity in the plus is only 2675 mah, headphone jack gone and a big loss in battery from the original plus, there will probably be only 2500 mah in the iPhone 8 plus

14. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Than you'll be happy to know that there's a larger Taptic Engine and a bigger battery.

15. Techman82 macrumors member

I've got the 6s and have the 7 plus pre ordered, but I've got to say when i seen this it really annoyed me, there's know reason why you can't have good efficient hardware and also have a big battery, battery life would have been incredible only for the space that Taptic engine is taking up in fairness

16. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Bigger taptic engine for sure. I'm excited to see what Apple has in store for its full implementation in upcoming iPhones as I think right now it's for the home button only? I'm not sure. If the rumors are true and the iPhone 8 will consist of a display that encompasses the entire front of the phone, then the taptic engine will definitely come into greater use.

The taptic engine works great on the Apple Watch, so it'll be interesting to see how it changes how we feel the iPhone.

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I thought the battery was rumored to be about 2900 mah. The efficiency must be great but still going smaller in battery seems detrimental

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Tim won't pay the apt-x license fees. Their model is to pay as few licensing fees as possible and build an Apple proprietary solution for their devices. That was always Steve's way.
    Oddly, beats has always had apt-x.

19. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Taptic, hands down. Wireless ftw.

Btw: I thought you'd go for a Note anyway? Your obsession with that removed headphone port reminds me of guys lurking in the bushes in front of their ex's house...

20. Nozuka, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Nozuka macrumors 68000

Bigger battery. Which is what the "normal" 7 got. I like.

Will have to use the taptic engine first, before i can decide.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

22. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

More battery use?

23. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

24. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I voted headphone jack. I always turn all vibrations off all the way back to the dumb phone days.

25. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Did it steal your lunch money too?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Wireless audio is most definitely inferior, as an audiophile who works in music I cringe to listen over Bluetooth.