The Hell Happened to My Battery!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Jan 26, 2012.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

When I first got the 4S (launch day) I was getting nearly 7 hours of usage before the phone would die and now I've noticed it drastically decreasing. I am barely getting 5 hours now. I haven't changed the phone much at all and for the most part I've been using the same apps/using it the same way I always have.

What could be the problem? Anyone else notice their battery is now much worse than it used to be?

now:
    [​IMG]

then:
    [​IMG]

2. Brittanydavie macrumors member

I've noticed a drastic change in my battery in the last week! I got the 4S when it first released and I was so impressed with the usage I was getting out of the battery. I was going 3 days without having to charge it (I'm a very light phone user) and 2 days for "heavy" usage. Now in this past week I've had to charge it every night. I have no idea what's different, but it's pretty concerning. I will take it off the charger in the morning at 100% and by the time I go to bed it's around 13%.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is experiencing these problems and what can I do about it?

3. ame8199 macrumors 6502

Mine is the same way. I can charge it at night. it's 100 percent and if I use it at my 30 min lunch it's giving me the 20 percent notification at 3 pm

I thought it was location service being on so I turned that off but still have this problem. I received mine about a week or two after launch.

I was just coming to the forum to see if apple or AT&T can test the batteries at all?

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Apple can, if you hit up the genius bar, they can run a diagnostic.

5. Total Respray macrumors member

If its anything like mine, iOS 5.01...

6. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been running that since it was release pretty much and I was getting the same good results as 5.0 at first.

I haven't changed any of my settings. Bluetooth always off, same few location services on, never adjust the brightness, etc...

7. Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

Just disable a lot of features that are always running, like location services and other things in the settings... turn off things you don't need or use...

8. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a lot of features disabled already and like I said I've been using it pretty much the same way now as I was when I would get 7 hours of usage.

This is weird. Something has to be up if other people are experiencing this too?

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Many many things can affect battery life. Temperature, humidity, types of usage, the list goes on. Expect it to fluctuate. Day to day it will vary, as with all battery powered electronics.

10. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Mine's still pretty strong, going into the second week of use. The more you use it obviously the faster it will drain.

I also don't charge mine overnight. I charge it when I come home from work, unplugging it when it hits 100%, use it a bit, and then charge it when I shower the following morning which usually gets it back in the mid 90's.

Apple's iPhone user guide also suggests that you run the battery to 0% once a month. This will help recalibrate the percentage meter.

It also mentions that it's a smart system of charging.

Your phone will charge from 0% to 80% in about 2 hours, and then take another 2 hours from 80% to 100%. So, if you just keep topping it off the percentage might be misleading (is it actually powering off from low battery, or just giving you the warning?)...

I'd also make sure you close apps and see if that's any better. Double tap the home button so the bottom bar comes up, then push and hold one of the icons until they wiggle. Push the red minus to close all open apps. Don't worry about closing Messages or Phone, everything still works, you'll still get texts and e-mails and phone calls.

Also, as was suggested above, if you're using apps and you see the little compass arrow appear in the top right, your phone is using extra power to give your location to each app. This can be customized in settings. Disabling location services, bluetooth, wifi when not needed can improve your battery life.

Also, make sure you use an auto-brightness. If you have it set to auto-lock when idle, this will help improve battery life too.