The Hill : Bill Clinton’s CIA chief joins Trump campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The Left would be singing his praises had he joined the Clinton campaign.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Not sure how much he liked the Clinton's anyway...

As Director of the CIA, Woolsey was notable for having had limited access to President Bill Clinton. According to journalist Richard Miniter:

Never once in his two-year tenure did CIA director James Woolsey ever have a one-on-one meeting with Clinton. Even semi-private meetings were rare. They only happened twice. Woolsey told me: "It wasn't that I had a bad relationship with the president. It just didn't exist."

Another quote about his relationship with Clinton, according to Paula Kaufman of Insight on the News:

Remember the guy who in 1994 crashed his plane onto the White House lawn? That was me trying to get an appointment to see President Clinton.

4. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

This ex-CIA boss is probably still upset with Bill for having the dirty job of scraping the semen off of Monica's blue dress.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Does he like Gurkha cigars though?

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well they probably had to try to get some former-CIA honcho on board, to maybe have half a chance of offsetting the black eye that Trump gave himself recently for having mused out loud on some his impressions of his intelligence briefing.

CIA Director Challenges Trump’s Claim About Intelligence Briefers’ ‘Body Language’

And the beat goes on... Trump continues to surprise and dismay assorted people who have come to know something about The Donald during his campaign. It seems that Trump’s “reading” of the body language of his intelligence briefing officers may have lain far more in the realm of The Donald’s imagination than anywhere close to reality.

Apparently the briefing officers are well trained to keep their politics, if any, to themselves.

So on the issue of misreading the briefers' minds, as well as on how it is that Trump came to think it was appropriate to comment publicly on his briefings anyway, the current director and a former acting director of the nation’s CIA have both given Donny Boy a thumbs down.

Good thing Donald Trump is a friend of America and also an American citizen, eh? Still, he probably doesn't really want to get even CIA briefers on the wrong side of the table.

“We don’t comment on policy. We don’t give policy recommendations,” Brennan said. “So I am fully confident that they comported themselves with the utmost professionalism and demonstrated their real breadth and depth of intelligence capabilities.”

Discussing what happened during a classified briefing was among the many faux pas Trump has committed during his candidacy. Michael Morell, a CIA veteran who served as acting director under Obama, called Trump’s comments unprecedented and “highly inappropriate.”

“This is the first time that I can remember a candidate for president doing a readout from an intelligence briefing, and it’s the first time a candidate has politicized their intelligence briefing,” Morell said. “Both of those are highly inappropriate and crossed a long standing red line respected by both parties.”

Sigh. It must be hard to be Bannon and Conway these days. You get one thing shored up, like cleaning up some of those random tweets, and something else caves in overnight. Well such is politics. It’s not like it doesn’t happen to the other side now and then.

Even so, it’s not everybody who draws verbal flak from the top of the CIA in public. As both gentlemen noted, the CIA tends to remain mute on political issues. To make a very public set of exceptions for Trump is not a compliment.

So I'm not surprised if Trump's campaign rushed out to round up a former CIA dude to try to balance out this off-on-wrong-foot gig a little bit. LOL, but Woolsey? Wow. Cue that Clinton-era Bette Midler song "From a distance..."