The Hill: Top Clinton aide at State Dept. helped Clinton Foundation: report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Aug 11, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

A key Hillary Clinton aide at the State Department performed work for the Clinton Foundation, CNN reported Thursday.

Cheryl Mills interviewed job candidates for the Clinton Foundation while working as Clinton’s chief of staff at State, the report said.

Clinton and her family’s charitable foundation agreed to a set of rules once she became secretary of State in 2009. The guidelines were meant to ensure the foundation’s activities would not “create conflicts or the appearance of conflicts for Senator Clinton as secretary of State.” Clinton is now the Democratic Party's presidential nominee.

Mills traveled to New York City in June 2012 and interviewed two high-level business executives for a prominent position at the Clinton Foundation, CNN reported.

Mills’s work for the Clinton Foundation during her tenure at State was strictly voluntary, and she received no pay for her services, nor were government funds used for her expenses, according to her attorney.

“Cheryl volunteered her personal time to a charitable organization, as she has to other charities,” Clinton campaign spokesman Brian Fallon said Thursday.

“Cheryl paid for her travel to New York City personally, and it was crystal clear to all involved that this had nothing to do with her official duties. The idea that this poses a conflict of interest is absurd.”

Mills interviewed one executive from Pfizer and another from Wal-Mart, the report said.

Both companies have been major donors to the Clinton Foundation, and are also partners with the Clinton Global Initiative.

Mills now serves on the Clinton Foundation’s board, and runs a development organization focused on African business.

Critics say a newly released collection of emails from senior Clinton aides shows signs of corruption involving the State Department and the Clinton Foundation.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...-hillary-state-aide-helped-clinton-foundation

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How long until we hear about late night robbery gone wrong or self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the back of the head?

3. Limey77 macrumors regular

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'd go with impropriety or the perception of impropriety.

5. Limey77 macrumors regular

How and why?

There's no allegations that the interviewees recieved any preferential treatment or benefits. The volunteer paid for her own flights, there's no suggestion let alone evidence that they did anything other than act on her own. And how is this meant to have benefited Hillary?

Would there be the same outrage if the volunteer was interviewing candidates for the Gates Foundation?

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's not the case so that is not relevant.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In other words: You think it's bad, so it is. You can't name exactly what law; regulation; precedent or custom has been broken. But because Hillary Clinton is somewhat vaguely connected, in your brain it's bad.

Good luck with that. And Conservatives wonder why they are held in such utter contempt.

8. Limey77 macrumors regular

Why not?

A member of staff at the state department on her own free time volunteers for a charity to interview potential employees. She recieved no input on who to employ, recieve no money for her time, no expenses for her time and no instruction for her time. Yet one is fine and the other is not?

Talk about dual standards and bias.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I know right, we got you and the poster above you rocking the double standard.

10. Limey77 macrumors regular

You clearly misunderstand.

What is it that you imagine was wrong and more importantly why?

From the evidence provided and for any impartial viewer there is nothing wrong with this story, on the contrary in fact.

So what is your issue with this? That the Clinton Foundation as a charity uses volunteers? That people who apply for jobs at a charity they support also donate to that charity? That a state department employee might choose to volunteer her spare time to a charity?

What exactly is the issue?

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I can't take these anti Hillary threads anymore. She is so obviously terrible and her supporters don't care. Scandal after scandal and her supporters don't care.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Who was the Secretary of State during this "volunteering"?

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

Why does that have any bearing on anything?

Yes I know it was Hillary.

But seriously do you think it's unusual or bad that someone volunteers for the same charity that their boss does?

I spent last Christmas Day serving Christmas lunch to homeless people because my boss had mentioned he did it. Did I do it to impress him, partially but more importantly I did it because I could make a difference.

Now, if among these thousands of emails there was one even hinting that Hillary told this person to give the job to person xx because they'd donated $10m etc then there would be a story

Instead we have a hard working state department employee volunteering her spare time and her own money working for a charity. Now I'm sure she hopes to use this volunteering as a way to get a job later on - but who doesn't. Who does an internship or any volunteer work not expecting some benefits in the future.

This is just yet another fallacious story trying to link a-b-c-g with no reason.

Other than speculation can you show anything, anything at all that makes this any different from the thousands of Washington employees that volunteer?

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yes, Yes I do. And it's not like your situation where you volunteered with your boss, this one the volunteered not only worked for the boss, but also volunteered for the bosses foundation.
    You don't honestly see a conflict of interest there? <-rhetorical
    Did that employee get an favoritism, special leave, less work, more pay than a equal employee that didn't volunteer for the bosses charity? That is the question that is being answered here. If you ask these questions or if anyone would ask these questions then that if the definition of impropriety/the illusion of impropriety.

15. Limey77 macrumors regular

So now we're getting somewhere at last! So now let's see the evidence that anything preferential happened. Or even that Hillary knew that this was happening

There is no conflict of interests at all, but yes, IF she received preferential treatment then that would be improper. But still not the "scandal" this thread is trying to make it.

But at the moment there is zero evidence that anyone did anything wrong. Let alone that Hillary did. To think otherwise is fanciful at best and most likely plain disingenuous.

16. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Just to clarify. This isn't meant as an anti Hillary post. It's a breaking news from a reputable source, The Hill, about the possibility of conflict of interest during Clinton's administration. The article, again from a reputable source, has been posted without any comment whatsoever.
    The post is about information about a candidate, and God knows we need more information about them, not less.

17. Limey77 macrumors regular

I guess it's a good job that Cheryl Mills isn't running for office. Damn her for volunteering for a charity and on top of that using her own money and skills to assist them. What a bitch!

18. zin macrumors 6502

Three FBI field offices tried to open a public corruption investigation into Clinton Foundation. DOJ said no.

19. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It doesn't matter if it's for charity, or profit, or whatever. If there's conflict of interest, there's conflict of interest. It might not be the case, but it's definitely something worthy further analysis.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Hence the reason that the ILLUSION OF IMPROPRIETY should be avoided at all costs. I keep forget where I am at though and that it's okay as long as it's something Hillary did.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Here's a suggestion:

If you have a plausible theory that conflict of interest; corruption; public indecency; or any other sort of malfeasance imaginable took place - come up with some ****ing evidence that it actually happened.

Instead of regurgitating a boring story enabled by the criminal theft of the private communications of innocent people ordered by Russian dictator Vladimir Putin.

Why are you collaborating with Vladimir Putin? Do YOU have a conflict of interest? Why are you working against the United States and for one of our adversaries?

22. zin macrumors 6502

Drew is still playing the 'Evil Russians' tune. He didn't read the article as it has nothing to do with hacked emails. The information came as a result of a CNN investigation (gasp!) along with emails released pursuant to a U.S. court order.

It raises (more) questions about the relationship between the Clinton Foundation and Hillary's State Department but nothing more. A slight appearance of impropriety. No smoking gun. Not yet. Time is ticking, however. Banks don't alert the FBI to suspicious activity for no reason.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Man you people always make some kind of immoral nefarious do bad deal with this crap.

She was a friggin volunteer for her foundation. Who cares.

This kind of thing happens all the time no matter what your party is.

24. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am Putin, and I won't share my plans.

As for the other questions, ask The Hill or CNN.

25. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Evidence... Buried, Hidden, Covered Up, Destroyed, "What Difference Does It Make"

More of the same liberal suppression?
    It's good to be a Democrat.

"Twitter CEO Dick Costolo Secretly Censored Abusive Responses To President Obama

The move was conducted in secret, according to well-placed sources."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewar...ored-abusive-r?utm_term=.chYjOJOPZ#.fvmPQ6QBV