The Home & Student edition of general edition of Office 2008?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Songbl, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Songbl macrumors newbie

I'm using the Office 2004 Student edition now, and I'm going to upgrade to the 2008.
    The general upgrade edition is almost twice the price compared to the Home edition.
    But I'm not so sure if I will need the "Automator Actions for Workflows
    in Microsoft Office" feature in the general edition.
    I will use the office for my home business, which I will use Excel most to generate many kinds of tables, list, etc.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you buy/bought the Student '04 edition between Nov. 1 '07 - Jan. 14. '08 you can download a coupon for full blown Office '08 special media edition which has everything for only $6.99. It is only good for one license but it is the full non-student edition w. automators & MS exchange support. There is also the choice to get the '08 student edition instead which gives you licensing for three computers if you prefer. Amazon has the student version for only $129 now, no tax or shipping which comes out to quite a bargain since then you'd get the Special Media Edition '08 for less than $150 total and have the '04 student/teacher edition for three other computers.

3. Songbl thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought my office 2004 two years ago. So I cannot do the coupon thing.
    Anyway, my point is does the "Automator" thing worth the extra money in the full office 08 edition compare to its student edition.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

IMHO, no, the automator actions aren't worth it. I'm sure they're nice, but I despise whoever came up with the idea of bundling external application support and charging twice the price to be able to use it. Plus, I can't see myself using them hardly ever, nor from your description do I find it likely that you would (though only you could say for sure).

jW

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I hate to nag, but if you're using Office for Mac (whether '04 or '08) for work purposes, you shouldn't be using a student edition. Either the standard or pro editions will do what you want them to. That it, unless you have university or college employment that allows you to work from home.

6. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Actually for Office '08 for Mac, this edition is now renamed Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition and the licensing is no longer restricted to educational use.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

He still has a point if it's being used for work purposes, however, which the OP did mention.

jW

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Really? That's good to know. I haven't explored '08 yet, simply because I'm a student, the wife is a business user, and we don't have the coin to upgrade both at the moment. But a mixed-license single purchase that will cover both our uses could be doable. Thanks for the tip!

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

From Microsoft's website regarding Office Home and Student 2007:
    Q: As a small business, can I use Office Home and Student 2007 at my work?
    A: No. Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households.

I would be willing to bet Office 2008 has the same restriction.

10. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Fair enough... It's no longer strictly educational, but is still noncommercial. Good clarification.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Go with the Home version. There are plenty of sites where you can d/l free Automator Actions, and since you can't copyright an Automator Action any new Actions will probably be duplicated on these sites shortly after '08s release if they are of any use. My guess is that 99% of them will be bloat, as is most of the crap bundled with Office.

12. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I'm in the same boat. Hell, i don't even know what an "Automator Action for Workflow" is. Can someone give me an example of what an action would be in Word 2008?