The horror! NPR exec calls tea partiers racists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My own belief is that the tea party isn't necessarily completely racist, but it's a comfortable home for racists. Even so, after reading this article, my reaction was "...And......?"

2. leekohler, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is there a punchline we're missing somewhere? I don't get the panic.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just once, can't someone come out and say, "Yes, I said that and it's what I believe. I'll have nothing further to say on the matter."

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree with you. That would be refreshing. Instead, we are left with the ... what's the word ... coincidence that Schiller - a few days ago - announced he is leaving NPR.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would have said it and meant it. Hell, I've seen it.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Can we all agree, in this instance alone, to shoot the messenger??

kthksbai

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

What there is a fair amount of evidence which supports his claim...whats the problem?

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

He might have gone a tad far, but still. I think the majority of Americans would agree that there is definitely some racism built into the tea party movement.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Except the tea parody members are not so vulgar as to use words like "racism". I mean, ick. They like to call it "discernment".

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, because independent, public broadcasting is a bad thing, and anyone who stands up to racism (where it exists or may be perceived) should immediately go. Unless every form of opposition is wiped out, how on earth are we going to be able to repeat history?

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Vivian Schiller (no relation to Ron Schiller), the President and CEO of NPR, has now resigned, too.

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Not COMPLETELY racist? Oh, how generous of you. :rolleyes: Wow. I guess some people can convince themselves of anything if it helps to demonize their opponents.

While I agree with your point regarding people standing up for what they believe more, and not caving into public pressure or political correctness, in this case it'd just make him look like he's even more out of touch with reality than he is today. Anyone who things the Tea Party is a racist movement is either grossly uninformed or biggoted. Biggoted against Christian, middle-America, heartland, family value focused, Americans who value the constitution and common sense economics.

How in the world can public broadcasting, dependent on funds (handouts) from the government, be even remotely considered independent? It's in their best interest to promote liberalism, to promote big government, to promote growth of the welfare and handout state. It's in their best interest to promote Democrats for election. It's far less independent than the likes of Fox and MSNBC who are not dependent to anyone. They talk about what they want to talk about, completely independent of outside control. They don't have to play nice with anyone to earn money, all they have to do is draw in viewers. All they have to do is provide the news and commentary that the public wants. NPR is to radically leftist its sickening. No wonder they have virtually no audience. They don't have to do a good job to ensure their survival, they don't have to provide good content, good service, all they have to do is keep pushing the right message to ensure they maintain leftist support in the government so the funds keep flowing.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Tee hee hee, thanks for the laugh. You should probably go do some research on how media actually works (I worked for a small newspaper for years — "independent" is just plain absurd).

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So only Christians can be tea partiers?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What was that sound? Did I hear a snap?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two things...

1. The Tea Party movement is quite young. It is impossible at this point to say what it is exactly. That is something that will become more apparent in time.

2. I find it interesting that you'd chose to describe it as "Christian, middle-America, heartland, family value focused". Had you included any terms like: open, inclusive, diverse, multi-racial, or multi-cultural you'd have a better chance of convincing people that the group isn't exclusive.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dependent?

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm sure there are a few tea party people who aren't racist. You seem pretty adamant about that point, so I'll give you that. On the other hand, you can't possibly deny that there are racists in the movement. Can you?

Reverse racism? So, anyone who points out the racist signs, the birther dog-whistle comments, the policies that are skewed against minorities, the efforts against immigrants... that person is the racist, not the people with the signs, etc...? You do realize that makes no sense, right?

I, and others who have criticized the tea party, are not so small minded as to say the movement is ONLY about being racist, but as you will see if you go back and look at these discussions, is that the tea party accepts racists, or even if it does not openly accept them, it's policies attract them.

It may be in their interest to promote government continuing its funding {(edit) BV - I was wrong too - NO Funding. I didn't realize that}, but everyone who monitors news organizations agrees that NPRs coverage of news events is more factually accurate than any of the corporate news sources. The question is whether there is a "moneyman" directing the actions of the news division, and with NPR, there is not. Regardless of who the administration was, NPR did what it did with uniform consistency. If that doesn't show independence to you, nothing will.

Perhaps, but it doesn't. It reports the news like all the other so-called news stations should be doing. They have far more balanced coverage, and they have guests from all sides of issues. Can you show a single example of NPR actually promoting or endorsing anyone? Are there reporters with personal preferences, I'm certain there are, but can you point to examples of their stories that are truly factually biased? If not, then maybe you should see an ENT doctor to get the Fox News/right-wing hook out of your throat.

So, Rupert Murdoch and his people never directed FoxNews to slant its stories? MSNBC doesn't have an editorial board run by people put in place by its corporate owners? Come on, you don't believe what you're saying. You can't possibly be that naive.

21. 184550 Guest

Who makes an appointment with someone/ group of people and doesn't bother to research the group they claim to be representing? IMO that's just plain stupid.

I agree, he shouldn't have resigned, he should have just said 'That's how I felt then and that's how I feel now.'. What he said certainly wasn't a lie by any stretch of the imagination.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Good point. They don't need the federal money.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Nothing racist here... go about your business...

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Possibly not. How these comparatively small sums makes them 'dependent', thus rendering them unable to be 'independent' seems to be a completely fallacious and flawed argument.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They could simply ramp up advertising in order to make up the difference.