The House Grows a Pair (Finally)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The House of Representatives stood up to Bush's lies and extortion tactics and passed the FISA amendment, but with some key changes:

1) No retroactive immunity! The Courts will have final authority to decide whether immunity is warranted.

2) Congress will have oversight authority over all cases where surveillance is being conducted on American citizens.

3) American intelligence will retain the ability to conduct any surveillance, without prior court approval, in cases where timeliness is critical. Otherwise, the FISA Court will retain authority to rule on all cases involving American citizens.

This battle still is not won yet, but just a week ago, it appeared to be lost. 12 democrats crossed the line to vote with the republicans. I have a deep suspicion that Blue America will have them in their crosshairs.

I am not sure how many of you know about Blue America and what they do. Unless you are not a 'progressive', you will not be interested. But, they support progressive candidates, who are not under the 'lobbyists thumb'. Normally, these candidates would not have much hope, due to huge disadvantage in campaign funds. BA raises funds from ordinary people who care about change, and getting rid of the right-wing lap dogs, including democrats. In the recent primaries, Donna Edwards was able to beat the conservative incumbent with the help of BA. If you want to make a difference, this is a very good place to begin.

Peace

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Be interesting to see if this moves approval numbers one way or the other for Congress...

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Interesting question! I expect the progressives would look at this very positively, and maybe quite a large group of moderate independents as well. I have never seen the survey questions, nor how their statistical model is put together. I do know that some of them are little better than a 'self-fulfilling prophesy'.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And despite claiming it was needed for our protection, Bush will veto it apparently because there's no immunity clause for Telecoms. If there is a terrorist attack, I'm sure they'll try to blame the Dems. I suspect that won't work as well as it used to.

If I wasn't on ignore, I'd bet that our resident troll will say that I'm saying I actually want an attack on our soil. The opposite is true of course. Kinda why I dislike the current admin and all the mistakes they've made that seem to be making things worse. But that wouldn't stop him, because to him, that would be logic. Trolls are predictable, aren't they.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, trolls can only be predictable. They are playing from a very short deck. However, you have probably noticed that they usually follow a standard agenda. The three most common types are:

Thread Thieves: These attempt to get the thread off-topic. They are fairly easy to identify after a short period. We have several of them on this forum. They are usually in the middle of much of the bickering that goes on.

Disinformationists: Spreaders of propaganda and innuendo. They often work with one or more other individuals. Clever teams can float outrageous lies and make it appear there is wide-spread support for it.

Trouble Makers: Many of these types do not seem to have a particular agenda. They just seem to get their kicks pissing people off. The mods do a pretty good job of keeping the forum free from them.

Generally speaking (and considering the subjects discussed on this forum), the regular members here are respectful of other people's differing opinions. Most of the personal exchanges seem to come from people who just 'got off the bus'.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm always getting off buses.

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

If there is a point here, I am not seeing it.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I believe he's saying he's got a thing for buses.