The "I Alone Can..." Comes Back to Trump's Rhetoric...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 3, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...atters-trump-says-of-state-dept-job-vacancies

President Trump says "I'm the only one that matters" in setting U.S. foreign policy, downplaying the importance of high-level jobs such as the assistant secretary of state, which is currently vacant.

"Let me tell you, the one that matters is me," Trump said in an interview that aired on Fox News Thursday night. "I'm the only one that matters, because when it comes to it, that's what the policy is going to be. You've seen that, you've seen it strongly."

The president was responding to a question from Fox's Laura Ingraham, who asked him, "Are you worried that the State Department doesn't have enough Donald Trump nominees in there to push your vision through?"

Ingraham added, "other State Departments, including Reagan's, at times, undermined his agenda. And there is a concern that the State Department currently is undermining your agenda."

Trump said, "So, we don't need all the people that they want. You know, don't forget, I'm a businessperson. I tell my people, 'Where you don't need to fill slots, don't fill them.' But we have some people that I'm not happy with their thinking process."

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

So far, from most of Trump's interviews, I've learned that it appears to be exceptionally easy to bait him into saying whatever the interviewer wants. As an attorney, I would love to depose Trump, I can probably get him to admit to anything. Just play off his ego against his interests, and ego wins every time.

"Mr. Greatest-President-Ever Trump, some say your businesses are weak and your brand is losing value, but how can that be if prostitutes in moscow peed in your mouth?"
    "My brand and business is very very strong, the strongest, the best, because Putin's prostitutes peed into my mouth, so much, it was so easy."

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I do not see anywhere in the linked article that says Trump said "I alone can..." Your title is misleading.

At the end of the day he "Is the one that matters" he is president, he set policy and direction. The minions carry that out.

What is you debate about this or do you just like posting stuff to post it?

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If you don't see a correlation between what he said on the campaign trail "I alone" and "The only one that matters is me" then it's your issue. It doesn't have to be a direct quote. Maybe that's your confusion? The title isn't misleading.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Originally Obama in 2007 campaigned against gay marriage than changed (evolved) his stance on it when elected. People change. Sorry that I don't spend every moment of everyday obsessing over every word this president (or any president) says and correlating that back in time to a gotcha and come post it here. So carry on with your circle jerk.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't understand your logic. What does people change have to do with the thread? No one here is obsessing over every word. I care less about some of his words than the overall thought process and motivation behind it. Also - you can skip your meaningless apology :) Maturity noted.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. 0007776 Suspended

I don’t have too much to say about Trump’s rhetoric, but with all the unfilled positions I do think that we need a constitutional amendment to allow congress to perform the nominating part of a president refuses to do that part of his job for a certain amount of time.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's an issue when roles are eliminated to avoid obstacles that are normally part of checks and balances.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And Trump years ago was a democrat until he decided to run for president. His views have evolved for the worse over the years.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What does that have to do with anything? Trump certainly hasn't changed. I think at 71 he is incapable of that.

But if Trump thinks he is the only one that matters I say we put that to the test. All the White House staffers, the State Department, all the cabinet and the people who work for them, should all just walk out. No housekeeping, no gardeners, no personal assistants, no chief of staff, no nothing.

You want to go it alone and think you are the only one that matters sunshine, well here you go. Fly Airforce One by yourself. :D