*The I can't make up my mind whether or not I'll get the iPhone 8/8plus or the X topic*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

Come have a seat in here. I've changed my mind probably a hundred times the past week lol.

On one side we have the iPhone X, gorgeous screen, better camera.. However face id is new. May be smart to wait a year until the kinks are out. However, maybe its a smooth transition?

On the other side we have the 8/8plus. Trusty ole' home button and Touch ID. We know what to expect. We know what we are getting. We know we will like it and it's going to work fast. The camera is improved and a faster processor. I would honestly feel more comfortable getting the 8/8plus, but the techie in me wants eh best iPhone available. No idea what I am going to do at this point. If you all have any more pro's and cons post them in here and what you are thinking regarding your decision.

I am coming from a 7plus.

2. ItnStln Suspended

I am having the same debate!

3. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Yup I am right there too. Currently using the Note 8 (which I absolutely love) but the techie in me wants to get an iPhone as well lol

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Coming from a 7 Plus I wouldn't get either. The 8/8 Plus isn't going to offer you a new experience once the novelty wears off, and the X is a roll of the dice. Next year there will be a more refined X. You don't need a new premium smartphone every year.

5. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hear ya. I don't know if I am ready to let Touch ID go yet... Looking at a screen to unlock just seems so much more cumbersome than simply placing my thumb on the home button. I can see the novelty aspect of face id, but it doesn't seem like it will be nearly as convenient.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

What I just said applies to you even more! Really, you just got a Note 8 and you want another new thousand dollar, or nearly thousand dollar, phone?

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don’t necessarily disagree but I am under the Verizon iPhone program so it wouldn’t put me out really.

8. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Well to be fair, I have a work line and a personal line. So one I pay for, the other work pays for. Otherwise itd be an obvious heck no lol

9. ItnStln Suspended

I'm leaning towards the 8 Plus although I'm still not certain.

10. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

I suppose the sensible thing to do would try the X out in stores but I have a feeling If you don’t preorder it you may not see one until 2018.

11. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Buy the iPhone 8/8+, then buy the iPhone X on Oct. 27. Worst case scenario, you end up selling the iPhone 8/8+ for a very small loss. Alternatively, you may end up preferring the 8/8+ and can flip the X for a nice little profit.

12. burntomaro macrumors member

I could have bought either. Currently own a 6 Plus so I was upgrading to one or the other no matter what.

I decided on the 8 Plus for several reasons.

First, I do not want face id over Touch ID. No I haven’t tried the Face ID but I know for a fact I can stick my hand in my pocket to grab my phone and have it unlocked before I pull it out. There may be a few instances where Face ID is more convenient but for myself, Touch ID will be better more often.

Second, the price. Could I buy a X? Yes, but I will not give a company $1000 for a phone, especially one that only offers OLED and a better front facing camera. For a screen that is less than 6”, it wont make that big of a difference. I don’t do selfies, I’m a grown man. The 8 Plus will be plenty of an upgrade from what I’m coming from.

Third, the X just screams like it was a rushed product. I’ll stick with a device that has been perfected over the past several years.

Fourth, I’m hoping they come out with an OLED Plus model next year.

13. macpro2017 macrumors newbie

I'm picking up my iPhone 8 Plus Space Gray 256gb tomorrow and maybe returning it within the 14 days.

I was so excited for an upgrade this year after three years with my trusty iPhone 6 Plus and I was somewhat disappointed with the iPhone X and its release date. Everything feels so rushed and I wouldn't be surprised if Face ID is a disaster.

HOWEVER, I think Face ID could have other uses and if I waited (patiently) for 3 years for an upgrade, I should "treat" myself to the best. Still, the iPhone 8 Plus in Space Gray looks great so I'm not sure if I can go back to my 6 Plus to wait for X.

The notch looks so baddddddd. Why couldn't they just have kept the home button, reduce to thinner symmetrical bezels, and add OLED. Easy $$$$ Apple, come on!

14. shootertwist14 macrumors member

i’m also on the same boat, but what makes it worse is that here in our country the official launch of the iphone is always in November, so while I absolutely want to get an iphoneX, it will most likely arrive in our shores by January or maybe even feb/march. Me and some friends will be going to Singapore first week of october and i really timed it in such a way that i might get a chance to get a new iphone. Tough luck though since only the iphone 8 will be available when we get there... the plane tickets had to be bought in advance due to its cheap price hehe hence i only had to estimate the iphone release date. I’m coming from a 7+ like you and my initial plan is to get an 8+ if available at singapore stores when i visit in 2 weeks time then upgrade when the iphone x gets here in our local shores in around feb. In this way i get to use an 8+ for around 4mos then get to upgrade to the X too when it arrives officially in our country.

The only other option for me is to preorder at the sg store and have it sent to a relative and go to singapore when it arrives (if ever i get lucky at preorder) which means another trip to sg just for the phone... yeah i know its not practical, but upgrading to a new iphone has been sort of a tradition that i dont want to break :) its an easier decision for u guys who get it at launch day, just need to count the days till october 27 comes :)

15. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

I’m in the torn camp, but have started leaning towards getting the 8+. I have the 6+ now so either will be a very nice upgrade. I was hoping for a completely new redesign and even the X isn’t wowing me in that area. Add in that hideous notch/bump/whatever, I cringe. BUT wouldn’t mind the camera with dual OIS, but is it worth it in cost just for that? I don’t plan on upgrading again for at least another couple of years, so maybe I should just get the X. Side by side, they are similar inside. Could save on costs and the 8+ looks nice in the new space grey and I even like the silver with the near white back. Wait, now I may have to wait even longer to get the X? Yikes.......

This has been my back and forth for the past few days.

At this point, I’m going to stop by the Verizon store - or maybe just go straight to the Apple store - tomorrow morning and check out the 8+. If the 8+ is enough for me (based on performance and camera upgrade), then I’ll go for it.... maybe, lol

I just know either way I’m ready to move past my 6+ with all of the hiccups I’ve been having lately.

16. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes, if you do not pre-order, it will be easily six to eight weeks before you even receive the iPhone X. If you truly or someone wants the iPhone X as early as possible, then you need to pre-order within a few minutes.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You're right, that is the sensible thing to do.

I can tell you from my time with the Samsung S8, that long aspect ratio may not be your cup of tea. And OLED has its own set of concerns if not handled correctly.

Problem is if you wait to demo it, you're probably hosed until Christmas or 2018.

19. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

AnthonyG6

I will definitely be getting the iPhone X. Hopefully on launch day or as close to launch day as possible. I currently have the 6S and I was waiting for the 7S to upgrade. In the Keynote when they announced the iPhone 8, I was thinking to myself, "that looks awesome and even better than the slight upgrade to the iPhone 7 that I was expecting". Then the 'one more thing' and the announcement of the iPhone X; I just wanted it straight away! I'm not bothered about the price although it's annoying that its more expensive to buy in £'s as they haven't applied any currency conversion rates, but ho-hum. As for FaceID, after the initial failure the backup iPhone that Craig used worked flawlessly. Before Apple gave us TouchID no one knew how much they 'needed' TouchID and I think it will be the same with FaceID. It's more secure and once you get used to using it, it will become second nature and you'll wonder how you ever coped without it.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I took myself out of the running to get either one and am going to hold onto my 7 Plus at least another several months. And I have to say I'm having even more fun now evaluating the new iPhones. It's fun reading all the things people love about their new 8's and 8+'s. I anticipate the same fun and excitement helping to order and watching my husband get his IPhone X and reading about the adventures of everyone here.

Lol, I treated my 7 Plus to a new purple silicone IPhone case and got myself a purple AR Dragon and along with iOS 11, it almost feels like I got a new phone!

Now I'm happily undecided, indefinitely, and it's a peaceful feeling not rushing to make up my mind before I even get to see the X in person. I will still get to be part of preorder madness fun trying to help hubby get a good ship date (we will cancel the order that gets the less desirable ship date). I have a mid summer birthday so maybe I'll get a new iPhone then. Maybe not...it will depend on the rumors!

Whatever you folks end up with, you gotta try out the AR apps. The dragon one is pretty basic right now but they're going to add to it. Mine was flying all around the dinner table, it looked like it was sitting on my husband's dinner plate, then it farted and we all just started laughing.

I'm used to VR from owning Samsungs and I love VR a LOT, but I gotta hand it to Tim Cook for deciding to emphasize AR because it lets you more easily share your virtual experience. I'd never sit at a dinner table with VR Goggles on, for example.