The "I didn't believe the Verizon iPhone rumors so I bought a Droid" thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucidPsychosis, Jan 9, 2011.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Well, as the title would suggest, I didn't believe the Verizon iPhone rumors, so when an upgrade became available for me, I got a Droid 2 in mid-August. It's quite a fine device, but, well, it's no iPhone. AT&T is really terrible in my area, so there was never any consideration of switching networks. Verizon has treated me well.

Anyhow, with having this phone for less than 6 months, I really can't justify ditching it so early, so I guess I'm sticking with it for another year or so. On the plus side, when I do upgrade again, the iPhone 5 will be out, maybe even the iPhone 6 if I wait long enough.

I'm certain I'm not the only one in this situation!

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

[​IMG]

^ not my pic, but I just saw this on an android forum and thought it was funny and should go here :>

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The Droid isn't a bad phone at all. As far as Android phones go, its actually quite good.

We have an original Droid and a Samsung Fascinate. They don't offer the iPhone experience (nothing does but an iPhone) but they have their own merits, particularly if you really enjoy hacking your phone to make it do tricks.

Just hang onto it and wait and see if Verizon offers an early upgrade program if you really want an iPhone.

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Just got a droid incredible last week... im crossing my fingers that iphone verizon will happen before feb 4

5. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

You have nothing to be upset about. The Droid 2 is arguably the best Android and one of the finest overall smartphones in the world. It should be rooted with a custom theme (ADW Launcher or Launcher Pro) applied, so that it runs smoothly, but otherwise, it's a great phone, with fantastic build quality, the finest screen on any Android, and a great carrier in your country. What's to be so down about? I wish I had a Droid 2.

What does the iP4 have, which your Droid 2 lacks?

6. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Actually, I'm gonna cancel my Evo contract, sell it on eBay, buy the iPhone on Verizon, and get my dad on my plan for a family deal. Done and done. :cool:

Reason why I'm waiting this long is, because my dad hates AT&T and I can't afford a cell phone bill with just me, so I just went with my family with Sprint. I know I have to pay around $60 instead of the $30 on the Evo, but hey? Jobs put me under a curse and I must follow it.

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I did, but luckily I did it in a way that works out for me.

I bought my OG Droid straight out. Stupid at the time, but I was a few months shy of an upgrade and they wouldn't do it early w/o a whole plan change (mine is grandfathered) so I just bought my Droid outright.

Great phone. I have mine overclocked (1.3ghz), rooted, Launcher Pro, ShadowRom w/ minimalist style theme. Looks great. Runs great. Great phone.

The only reason I'm going iPhone is because of the apps, and the fact I can sync some of the great iPod/iPad apps I have over to my phone. That and iOS has really started to grow on me as I have been using my iPad a lot more than I ever did my iPod. I'm a fan of it, now.

8. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

I left my family plan on verizon for an iPhone 4 in september. I had the iPhone for a day due to the terrible reception at my house. I returned to verizon and bought a DX on ebay with no contract just in case the day the iPhone ever came to Verizon. I love my DX but I also love the iPhone. This is going to be hard...

9. jbro1999 macrumors regular

Are you kidding me. My gf has the Droid2 and I have the iP4. She is always taking and using my phone because it works so much better. It is actually annoying.

/rant

10. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I have the D2 (had the D1 as well) and unless I rooted it and installed a custom Rom, I would hate it. Motoblur is horrible and I despise having social integration thrown in your face in every screen of the phone.

11. shadrap macrumors 6502

The wife and I picked up Evo's because of AT&T's dropped calls and bills that never made sense.

Android is cool if you like to root, customize, tinker etc.... I have custom roms running on both our phones now, but no matter what i do it's just not the same.

The iPhone is smooth, great build quality, great camera. To put it simple it just works as expected. Something I have yet to see from an Android phone. So, I will be switching and I don't care what it cost to ETF and pick up a Verizon iPhone.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The iPhone coming to Verizon story is on every major News website ... not just the Tech sites.

The iPhone coming to Verizon is a done deal :cool:

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

how come all the android people say iPhone doesn't compare to android because you have to jailbreak to get a lot of the features, and yet they admit you need to root android phones to make them usable?

14. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I've long felt that Verizon was going to get the iPhone sooner than later and even last October I felt they were getting it beginning of 2011 but I still bought the Samsung Fascinate because I can sell it and make enough money to pay for my 32GB Verizon iPhone.

15. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Yea the thing about Android being so open isn't readily applicable anymore. Carriers and handset manufacturers now control the Android experience and what goes on the phone and the only way to make an Android phone (other than the Nexus series) is to root (same as jailbreak).

16. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Since I never said anything of the sort, do not address your rhetorical Q to me.

17. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I would not use the stock ROM either. I have never been pleased with the manufacturer ROM on any Android. I also would not leave my iPhone un-jailbroken either.

18. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to a droid... on purpose

Back in October, I upgraded my "dumb" phone to a HTC incredible. At that time, I was pretty sure the iphone was coming to verizon in the next 6 months, but I upgraded because:

a. I really wanted a smartphone (and I got a pretty good deal at amazon - $80 for the phone, no tax)
    b. I wanted to make sure I got the unlimited data plan while it was still available
    c. I assumed that even if the iphone4 came to verizon, the iphone5 would be out 6 months later (and I would more likely want to get that rather than get the 4 and be regretting not waiting 6 months for the 5)
    d. I checked, and with verizon, you can upgrade your phone at a 2 year contract price after you've had yours for 12 months (on a 2 year contract)
    e. I wanted to give android a chance so that WHEN I go to iphone, I can say that I at least tried android, but I like iOS better. :)

Now, it seems that the unlimited plan will stay for the time being, even after the iphone is released, so point b is moot. But my intention was to upgrade to the iphone5 in october after i've had the incredible for a year. I think by then IF there are any issues with it, they should have resolved it by then.