The "I finally ditched AT&T" thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rynology, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Rynology macrumors regular

Rynology

After 5 long arduous years with AT&T, I finally made the plunge to another carrier as of last night's preorder (Sprint in my case). AT&T has proven over the last few years to be a company focused on anything other than great services and customer focus. Looking back it's a shame to see how much we've regressed over the last 5 years (summary below), when we could be so much further ahead.

Summary (approximate dates):
    Jun 2010 - AT&T pulls the plug on it's unlimited data plans
    Jun 2010 - Forces users on unlimited plan who want to take advantage of data tethering to switch to a capped plan and lose their unlimited data entirely
    Jan 2011 - Elimination of $5 dollar texting plan option, forcing new customers to the $10 minimum plan regardless of texting needs
    Jul 2011 - Announces throttling data users on their "grandfathered" Unlimited Data plan beginning October 1
    Aug 2011 - AT&T announces elimination of $10 texting plan, forcing new customers to the $20 unlimited plan regardless of texting needs
    Mar 2012 - It is learned that AT&T will not allow mobile hotspot support on the new iPad
    May 2012 - Raises international data plan minimum fee along with overage charges
    Aug 2012 - Announces they will restrict the use of FaceTime over cellular, only to allow access to users paying for their premium mobile share plan

More important than the minutia of it all, 5 years later I have less service for more money. I've grown exhausted with it all and last night decided to vote with my wallet.

I'm curious who else decided to jump ship and to what carrier?

2. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I stayed mostly because I am grandfathered into an unlimited LTE (Even though throttled at 5GB) and because they have the best speed.

EDIT: Also as mentioned below, Data and talk at the same time is another big one.

3. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

I was about to pull the trigger on it until 4 hours before pre-order when I read that Verizon STILL wont support talk and surf at the same time. When my dad calls me and starts talking politics that feature is priceless for me!! ATT somehow kept me again.

Atleast my cap will be 5gb now for unlimited. In a few months I will JB and have facetime over data again, not a dealbreaker for me.

4. aohus macrumors 68000

throttled to 3GB monthly? that's not unlimited data bud.

i average 17 GB a month on Verizon and I am never throttled.

[​IMG]

5. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Throttling went up to 5gb for IPhone 5.

6. blunti macrumors 6502a

LTE is throttled above 5GB

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

8. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

I jumped ship :). I was with AT&T since the release of iPhone 4 and I'm happy to say I am now giving my business to Verizon. Can't wait for my iPhone 5!

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Not to defend AT&T as they certainly don't deserve it but, I'm pretty sure you could create a similar laundry list of changes that Verizon has done screw over their customers as well.

Yes, Sprint and T Mobile seem to be a bit more customer friendly with their offerings but both of those companies are fighting tremendous uphill battles trying to stay competitive with the big two. Reverse the roles and we'd probably be complaining how T-Mobile and Sprint are constantly screwing us over.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

It's unlimited data, no overage fees, but you pay for that with a speed cap.

I can't wait to see the throttle speeds this time. Will it drop to 3G speeds, or to a crawl like it is now?

11. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

WOW that is a ridiculous amount of usage. I couldn't use 17 gbs in 6 months with having wifi and working where I cant have a phone one me.

12. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Lol nope I just signed on for another 2 years :D everyone complains about AT&T but I've never had an issue. And the fact that I get full bar 3G here with solid coverage everywhere else near me makes it even better.

13. srcstc macrumors member

Same here! I'm grandfathered on unlimited data and the $5/200 text message plan. The day I lose those is the day I leave.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

i had to tether for some days because my home ISP was having issues. i did lots of streaming and downloading off usenet. I typically got 1.8 MB/s. I've been a very happy camper since having LTE. It's like having a portable high bandwidth device at your fingertips.

15. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

I cant wait for LTE. ATT says it will be available on the island at the end of this year, but I wont hold my breath. AHHH still so disappointed the Verizon version didn't come with that extra radio!!

16. minneola24 macrumors member

Have fun dealing with sprint. I've never had good luck with them. :(

17. swpars macrumors newbie

I'm also in the "Sticking with AT&T camp".

My reasons:

- Grandfathered "unlimited" data to 5 gb on LTE (vs 2 gb on the Verizon shared plan I'd be going with).
    - Ability to do simultaneous voice/data (thanks Apple for not doing this with the CDMA version of the iPhone).

18. Bugdozer macrumors member

I bailed!! We were a 2 Cell phone company family- 2 of us on AT&T and 4 plus an ipad on Verizon. over $400 a month on cell bills. Well son and I are going back to Verizon since he kept his 4 and his contract is done was good timing. We will save about $80 a month having 1 cell company!! Before everyone comments on we are crazy to spend that much on phones I collect money from my 2 sons and 1 girlfriend towards the bill.

19. soldierblue macrumors 6502

I jumped ship when the iPhone 4 came out on Verizon. But I switched back after experiencing how completely awful Verizon is in my area. Then their customer service...

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Same plan as well. Also receive an additional bonus 200 minutes on top of my 450. No issues with service so sticking with them.

21. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Still can't think of.a single time I was on the phone and needed to go online for something at the same time. Keep in mind you can do this with the 5 on Verizon while on wifi. So at home or work, I'm good. But even then, if I need to find something I'll pull out the iPad or laptop while on the phone. The chances of being out with no wifi and needing to go online while I put someone on speaker are so rare it's a non issue for me.

I use this surf and talk about as much as I FaceTime, which is practically never.

22. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

I'm curious to see how this phone performs with Sprint. It runs like a dog in my area.

23. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

Have had 0 problems with ATT. Been with them since it was Cingular and then ATT.

Unlimited data, text and my minutes for $70 a month.

I always have service and LTE is super fast. I never turn the wifi on my phone on.

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems.

24. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i've been with att since day one of the oringinal iPhone and upgraded to everyone each year but now it's paying more money for less service and with lte only covering just the bay area and not yet sacramento or other areas is pretty lame i get it they are just beginning but just because they started is the only reason why they are the fastest network in 2 years of time it's gonna be right where vz is and about the same speeds plus att sucks with dropped and failed calls and i've had enough of it complaing to them just won't do nothing there so stupid they don't even know what the problem is.

good bye death star hello big red!

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sprint sucks in my Area....

Big Red service is better than AT&T, but I had a poor customer service with them in the past.

I am okay with AT&T, but I don't see any carriers that would be better than AT&T.

Unfortunately, I am still with AT&T. I will still be looking at their customer service down the road.