The "I heart my Penryn/SR MBP and I am keeping it" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Oct 15, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Post here if you guys are like me, and thankful for our now "outdated" Macbook Pros.

Biggest turn off for me: Cost, looks, a backwards step in design to me. Pro features are "fine", so I wanted something sleek and stylish in looks and not blatantly, "That's another apple."

New MBP: I'm coming in to play with ya, but I ain't taking ya home.

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

how can you call the clean and sharp design of the new macbook backwards? :confused:

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's all a bit shiny to me, needs a once over with some luxury wirewool!:D

5. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

SHARP indeed! Watch those wrists!

Backward with the bezel. Welcome to the 90s.

And backwards that its just not that visually appealing and a bit loud.

6. azharc macrumors member

I was never planning to upgrade anyways, but if I waited 2 months+ I think I would've leaned to the old ones.
    So yeah, spread the love for the Peryn folk :D

7. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Although I really like the new design myself, I actually think the black/silver/shiny combo is likely to 'date' more quickly than the more understated look of the previous MBPs. In fact in comparison the old MBPs look now edges towards that 'self-consciously kind-of-awkward' style that's often considered 'cool' in not just electronics but fashion and film making as well. Kind of counter-culture, almost.

There's no doubting they're an impressive engineering feat but I don't think the new MBPs will be looked back on as quite as timeless-looking as the old ones. Just my take, kind of in agreement with the OP.

8. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

I'm going to keep my 2.4 SR only because i can't afford a new one. if i could i would drop the $2900 to get a 2.8GHz model in a heartbeat. I have 4GB of ram and a 320GB HD so i'm not really "hurting", but...

9600GTM and 4GB of DDR3 with a 2.8GHz Penryn on a 1066FSB? sold, son....

I would see if i could find a way to reduce the glare of the glass, though...that would definitely get on my nerves somewhat, but on the upside it means that cleaning the display is now MUCH easier and you don't have to worry about destroying your fragile LCD panel as much.

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I must say those new MBP's do look very nice indeed. But I won't be buying a new mac for at least another 12 months or more cause my currnt MBP is only about 9 months old

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I'll be keeping my SR MBP. I always have an urge to try something new (I've had all the different Macbooks except for the 17" MBP) but this new model doesn't offer enough for me to switch. I also like the "understated elegance" of the older model better IMHO. The new ones are too "in your face" with the two-toned design and that crazy black bezel. I also plug my MBP into 22" LCDs both at home and at work, so I'd be pissed to have to buy 2 extra mini-Displayport -> DVI adapters for $30 each.

11. krisis1 macrumors member

I for one agree with the topic starter. My 15,4 SR MBP isn't equipped with Multitouch but still I like it more than the new ones. I absolutely love the looks of the "old ones" and I can't stand glossy screens. The black chicklet keyboard is disgusting, and I hate the way they "dropped" it inside the topcase. And losing FW400?! Come on!! Ok, you can still get it through the FW800 so it's a minor bummer. But the loss of DVI?! That's a shame. I use it all the time, wouldn't want to use an adapter for every "normal" display I encounter. I'd much rather have ports on both sides of the laptop than a crippled series of ports on the left only.

It's not all bad though. The new production process is really cool and if the structural strength of the machines increases, then why not. Also the easy access to the HDD is definitely a plus, as are the new fancy dual graphics cards. But I'm curious what effect 10.6 Snow Leopard has on GPU usage, perhaps it'll blow us all away and make us nay-sayers crave for a new MBP.

Maybe the new design will grow on me, I hope it does, and in the meanwhile I'll work happily on my SR MBP.

12. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I'm keeping my Penryn MBP for at least another 2 years.

13. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

I'm keeping my MBP Rev C C2D (2006) for now

because the speed and features are not that far behind the new units. I'd like to get 3 more years use AND have some new need driving a replacement purchase. By then there should be a new generation of MBP's anyway.

14. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I've got my 15" MATTE 2.5GHz Penryn and I love it.

However, in 2009, I'm gonna have to buy the wife a MacBook/Air and I'm just hoping for some improvements by then. Particularly in the FW area. Being that I just realized you can't do Target Disk Mode anymore on a MB.

But I love my MBP. :)

15. badtoro macrumors newbie

I gotta admit, I'm a "latest technology bitch" and I'd really like to have new macbook pro, although it's a bit larger the new current model.
    But hey, my MacBook Pro is only 4 months old! So I'm going to hold on AT least until they start shipping Snow Leopard to get both at the same time.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agreed on both counts. The two-tone thing just doesn't work outside of the iMac.

17. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I loathe glossy displays. I don't see how Apple can keep giving customers less and less options. Anyone else remember when there were 4 different iBooks and at least 5 or 6 Powerbook options to choose from? They really made a computer for everyone. Now you get 2 screen sizes and glossy displays. Rubbish.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hey my computer isn't "outdated!" I'm still toting the latest and greatest! :D

19. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I am so glad I decided to purchase my 2.2ghz mbp in october of last year. At the time I really was tempted to hold off purchasing one because of all the rumors of the so called redesigned macbook pro... and of course that never happened. Instead it was only a simple cpu/gpu upgrade, however it was a good update but not enough to justify the wait. Before Oct. 14th, I seriously was thinking of selling my mbp because surely the new designed macbook pro would be something truly revolutionary... and it turned out to be a huge disappointment for me.

So here I am now about a year after buying my first mbp and I can feel good that I made a good decision for me back then.

20. leftfoot macrumors regular

leftfoot

Keeping my trusty SR 2.2 for 4 reasons.

1. It still does a damn good job for what I need it to do.
    2. I like my Matte screen.
    3. It works.
    4. I have a lot of other stuff I want to spend $2000+ on.

21. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I have the same computer and I agree. The ONLY thing I want is the SSD. But I'm just going to buy a SSD hard drive once the prices go down. So I will probably not buy a new one until a good two-three years. The SSD drives are a HUGE upgrade all in themselves

22. eltonbalch macrumors newbie

Reasons NOT to buy...at least for now...

My MacBook Pro is only a few months old and is more than adequate for me. Nonetheless, I love the "latest and greatest" as much as anyone. There are several good reasons to wait however:

1. It's usually not wise to be an early adopter. No matter how much engineering goes into these things it's amazing how many things don't get caught until it's out in the wild.
    2. The economy is on a downturn and Apple will be affected. I'm not saying prices will drop, but a $2000 entry point is still pretty pricy. There could be some pre or post holiday incentives (or not...).
    3. There is still the issue of the Nvidia graphics chip in the "old" MacBook pros. Apple has been known to actually replace computers to keep customers happy. There's also the class action suit for them to worry about. I'm not doing ANYTHING until that issue is totally resolved!!
    4. I just plain don't need to!!

Of course I'll check it out but right now I'm not a buyer.:)

23. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Im purchasing a bike this month so I have no money for a new one. :(

24. xanotherveganx macrumors newbie

you, person, are rad. stick with the bike.

25. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Have fun with your new bike. I wouldn't worry much about the new MBP. Outdoor activities are a lot more enjoyable and healthier than geeky activities.