Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
So reading an article about an Apple designer it suddenly dawned on me, is it possible, just possible that the i in the iLife applications does not stand for interactive, intutive, I, interesting, or an other i word, but really stands for idiot? When you consider it, it really makes sense. Sort of an inside joke. What say yee, does the i in the i applications, and consumer level Macs stand for idiot?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
the 'i' in iMac stood for 'internet'. Since then i dont know if that is at all relevant, its just a marketing thing now. I mean...iPod? 'internet pod' wtf. So yeah, who knows.

Altair

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
AFAIK, the inception of Apple's use of "i" was with the initial iMac and was intended to indicate that connecting to the Internet was easy. From there, it became a branding mechanism to distinguish between consumer and professional hardware/software.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
TimDaddy said:
A few years ago, in Maxim Magazine, I saw the iBrater. While I guess women could use the iBrater while browsing, I don't think this thing actually connected to the net. :rolleyes:

I suppose it probably means 'integrated'. You know, digital hub and all that.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
So Rower when do you suppose Apple will finally recognize the Garphics Profressionals out here and come up with either pMAC or gMAC?
OH that would be "G"5 dual 1.25ghz Kick a** machine !!!!
:>)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was originally intended to sort of imply "internet" (though I don't remember Apple ever saying so specifically), although at this point I expect if forced to answer an Apple spokesperson would say either "integrated" or "I" (as in the pronoun--"centered around you").

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was originally intended to sort of imply "internet" (though I don't remember Apple ever saying so specifically), although at this point I expect if forced to answer an Apple spokesperson would say either "integrated" or "I" (as in the pronoun--"centered around you").

I do remember years ago reading an article in Mac World that what you just said was quoted by an Apple rep, just been so long I can't find the issue....

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Sparky's said:
So Rower when do you suppose Apple will finally recognize the Garphics Profressionals out here and come up with either pMAC or gMAC?
OH that would be "G"5 dual 1.25ghz Kick a** machine !!!!
:>)

I think my custom ordered Mac should be an rMac, since my name starts with "r". :p

Personally, I like the "Power" designation for pro machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.