Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinochick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Congrats! Mine arrives tomorrow by 9pm. Right now, it is on a UPS cargo plane over the Pacific heading to Alaska. 2 hours, 53 minutes until it lands in the country!

The RAM doesn't play as big of a role when opening or closing applications - its more in how the machine handles multiple applications running at the same time. Running processor intensive applications (photo/video editing, CAD/CAM, and the like) will run much better with 16 vs 8.

I dont do any of that - but I do run VMs, so 16GB allows me to allocate 8GB to theVM while retaining 8GB for the host. Also, I like to have top spec systems so my productivity isn't inhibited at all.

I've had my new MBP 13' for a day now and wondering if the 16GB Ram causes the battery life to be shortened? The 8GB Ram 13' MBP I originally had seems to have a longer battery life than this one. (using the same apps on both)

SeaFoodBoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
My early 2013 15" Macbook Pro's keyboard is not functioning anymore and the Genius said I will need to replace the whole top casing. The Genius said I can either wait until the part to come in for repair in September for free or I can pay for the price of the part and get a refurbished laptop as soon as possible.

The Genius said I will be getting the exact same 2013 model. Is it possible for Apple to still have inventory parts for 2013? I am curious as I only see 2015 models as the oldest models on the refurbished site.

Also, does the 2015 MBPr 15" with Iris Pro comes with a dedicated GPU?

tmt

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
OK, so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new MBP :)
I got a 13" with touchbar, 16 GB and i7 processor. Can´t wait to exchange it with my 6 year old MBP!
Wooohooooo:D

Reactions: OperatorJ81

jord22

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2017
I ordered 13" 2.3/16/256 nTB a few days ago and the status is still processing. Is my configuration need to be custom built?

OperatorJ81

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
I've had my new MBP 13' for a day now and wondering if the 16GB Ram causes the battery life to be shortened? The 8GB Ram 13' MBP I originally had seems to have a longer battery life than this one. (using the same apps on both)

The RAM has little direct effect on battery life, it's more the apps you have open at a given time.

OperatorJ81

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, I’m sort of debating what to do at this point... most of my stuff is in various cloud-based services also. It would be convenient to do a straight restore, but it’s also tempting to start fresh. Every time I get a new iOS device I take the opportunity to set up as new.

Do it. I got my new laptop today and had everything set up in under 45 min. Including syncing ~8GB of data from 3 cloud services and installing 23 apps. Absolutely worth it.

Reactions: Patcell

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I ordered 13" 2.3/16/256 nTB a few days ago and the status is still processing. Is my configuration need to be custom built?

Yes, I believe all of the 16GB ram configurations in the 13 inch models are 'custom'. I can't imagine it would delay it for too long though... Good luck and congrats!
[doublepost=1498899168][/doublepost]
Do it. I got my new laptop today and had everything set up in under 45 min. Including syncing ~8GB of data from 3 cloud services and installing 23 apps. Absolutely worth it.

Thanks for the advice! I finally got my new machine yesterday evening and - you were right - didn't take long at all to set everything up. Especially easy given "Documents" and "Desktop" folders on Mac are now synced with iCloud.

Absolutely loving the new 15" touch bar model; a fantastic upgrade to my mid-2014 Pro.

Reactions: OperatorJ81

OperatorJ81

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Yes, I believe all of the 16GB ram configurations in the 13 inch models are 'custom'. I can't imagine it would delay it for too long though... Good luck and congrats!
[doublepost=1498899168][/doublepost]

Thanks for the advice! I finally got my new machine yesterday evening and - you were right - didn't take long at all to set everything up. Especially easy given "Documents" and "Desktop" folders on Mac are now synced with iCloud.

Absolutely loving the new 15" touch bar model; a fantastic upgrade to my mid-2014 Pro.

Glad to hear it!

I'll be honest and say I thought the whole touch bar thing was a gimmick. But it's actually pretty cool and I'm already finding it useful.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
What specifically have you found the Touchbar useful for? I like it too but I have a feeling I could be making better use of it

The obvious one is Touch ID... also, I really enjoy the fact that the functions in the control strip are not static and can be customized in System Preferences>Keyboard. For example, I don't use Siri on Mac all that often (or really at all), so I have that button replaced with a shortcut to lock the screen (something I do relatively often). Also, in supported apps, the touch bar can be further customized... I use Pixelmator for the majority of my photo editing; if you go to View>customize touch bar, the options are displayed on screen.

The persistent media scrubber is really pretty awesome... it is present on the touch bar whenever a video is playing on screen (youtube, iTunes, quicktime, etc), and can even be selected when a video is playing in picture-in-picture mode.

Some functions in iMovie or FCX are extremely useful. Particularly the timeline scrubber.

I keep finding other uses also... for example, in the Calendar app, you can easily switch between months and dates via the touch bar rather than manipulating with the mouse. I just pay attention to what shows up on it when I open apps; every so often there is a useful function.

Oh... and the emoji selector!

Enjoy!

OperatorJ81

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
The obvious one is Touch ID... also, I really enjoy the fact that the functions in the control strip are not static and can be customized in System Preferences>Keyboard. For example, I don't use Siri on Mac all that often (or really at all), so I have that button replaced with a shortcut to lock the screen (something I do relatively often). Also, in supported apps, the touch bar can be further customized... I use Pixelmator for the majority of my photo editing; if you go to View>customize touch bar, the options are displayed on screen.

The persistent media scrubber is really pretty awesome... it is present on the touch bar whenever a video is playing on screen (youtube, iTunes, quicktime, etc), and can even be selected when a video is playing in picture-in-picture mode.

Some functions in iMovie or FCX are extremely useful. Particularly the timeline scrubber.

I keep finding other uses also... for example, in the Calendar app, you can easily switch between months and dates via the touch bar rather than manipulating with the mouse. I just pay attention to what shows up on it when I open apps; every so often there is a useful function.

Oh... and the emoji selector!

Enjoy!

Oh man, that's awesome. I'm just learning you can customize the functions - being able to lock the machine real quick is fantastic! Thanks!

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I replaced my late 2011 17" MacBook Pro with a mid 2015 refurb. I was hoping the 2016 redo was what I wanted, but it turned out to be a smack in the face. With my 17" going vintage and already experiencing two gpu failures, I bit the bullet and downgraded. The 2015 is faster, but I installed an SSD and max/faster ram in my 17" so at no point did it ever feel slow. Other than what feels like a small speed boost, I'm missing the screen real estate. One day in and I already have a border of fingerprints around the display. I miss my matte screen. The one thing that makes me happy is that I'm not having to deal with a bunch of dongles. RIP form follows function.

Swifty01

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Purchased a 15in 16GB/512GB MBP last night. Huge upgrade from my baseline 2014 Air. I can actually run more than a couple routers in Gns3 without my laptop dying. Good times.

lollardheretic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
New Zealand
Purchased a 13" MacBook Pro Early 2015 8GB w/ 128GB SSD brand new from a local reseller. I will be using it for study, emails and watching youtube / Netflix. I didn't go for the newer MacBook Pro 13" as they are known to have issues with the butterfly keyboard and I don't want to have a million dongles.

I am feeling a bit worried that my model will be unusable / slow in the next 3-4 years just because it's 2 years old already. I know that this is definitely not the case but I am just looking for some reassurance.

Because I live in New Zealand I have about 3-4 years of Consumer Law coverage on the machine which entitles me to either a repair, replacement or refund should I have issues with it during that time-frame.

Tomorrow I've had the machine for two weeks. I am really enjoying using it so far (along with my iPhone 7 Plus) and I am having no issues with performance. I've already bought a "Nifty MiniDrive" for it so I can insert my 64GB microSD card in it for extra storage (I didn't buy a higher specced storage model as I mostly use iCloud or my main windows machine.)

Please let me know your thoughts.

tmt

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Purchased a 13" MacBook Pro Early 2015 8GB w/ 128GB SSD brand new from a local reseller. I will be using it for study, emails and watching youtube / Netflix. I didn't go for the newer MacBook Pro 13" as they are known to have issues with the butterfly keyboard and I don't want to have a million dongles.

I am feeling a bit worried that my model will be unusable / slow in the next 3-4 years just because it's 2 years old already. I know that this is definitely not the case but I am just looking for some reassurance.

Because I live in New Zealand I have about 3-4 years of Consumer Law coverage on the machine which entitles me to either a repair, replacement or refund should I have issues with it during that time-frame.

Tomorrow I've had the machine for two weeks. I am really enjoying using it so far (along with my iPhone 7 Plus) and I am having no issues with performance. I've already bought a "Nifty MiniDrive" for it so I can insert my 64GB microSD card in it for extra storage (I didn't buy a higher specced storage model as I mostly use iCloud or my main windows machine.)

Please let me know your thoughts.

All I can say is that I just ordered a new tbMBP instead of my early 2011 i7 13". Not that I really needed to as it worked well with no problems what so ever. I just felt I wanted one now :D
You´ll do fine :)

facemeat

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
Through some dumb luck I was able to pick up a 2016 rMBP 13 tb 512gb :)
Canceled the order for my 2015, the price of the 2016 was too good to pass up. Amazing laptop, the touch bar is weird though.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
Got back from my vacation a few days ago. Debated on whether to take my new $2000 computer or my old MBA with me. Ended up taking my MBP to really put it through its paces, and boy, lemme tell you: it was such a joy to use when I had down time.

To have so much power in such a thin, light form factor is a godsend, honestly. And for the battery to last so long between charges? I think only had to charge it a total of 2, 3, maybe 4 times max the entire week. It's still mind-blowing, honestly. I was able to browse the web, enjoy me some YouTube, import photos from my iPhones, chat with peeps on Discord, play music via Spotify, and do some light gaming -- and I still had enough battery power left to do work if I needed to. On top of being able to leave *everything* open without worrying... it was just heaven.

10/10 would buy this laptop again.

Dnaq

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Ok. I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 13" nTB/256/16. This MacBook Pro will replace my 9 year old Sony Vaio. I guess it will take some time to get used to the new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.