Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just bought a 2.5 Ghz 2015 with 256 GB and AMD Discrete. Unfortunately it was advertised to me as a 2.8 Ghz. This is the second time that they did this. The first time I accepted it because I liked the machine and it was a pain to drive back to return it. The second time - I'm going to return it tomorrow and get my check back. They offered a discount but I specifically asked them to email me when they have 2.8 Ghz machines and they emailed me with the specs of two machines. But it appears that they didn't really have them.

I had a great trading day today with gains of $19K - it has been a good year overall. But I need a reliable, powerful laptop to run my trading programs and I'm pretty annoyed at having to return a laptop - it feels like a bait and switch. I asked if the other computer that they advertised was 2.8 and they said that they don't have any of them.

I had a look at the specs of the new Razer Blade Pro and it's very nice. It has everything that I'd want for a Hackintosh except for the display. Display is only 1920x1080 and I'd really like QHD. A 17.3 inch laptop with QHD, 32 GB of RAM would be perfect for trading. I hope Apple does a decent job with their 16 or 17 inch laptop. If they do a good job, they've got a sale with me - the bigger the screen, the better. The thicker, the better.

I'm really annoyed today.

Edit: I just looked at HID Evolution - they have the kind of stuff that I'd like - wish Apple would take a look. I really don't care how it looks - I care about how well it functions.

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'm about a week or two into owning a new MBP (15" Touch Bar, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X). Took advantage of a nice sale from Costco and decided to add on AppleCare+ since these things aren't exactly fixable. I had avoided getting a new MBP for a while because I didn't like the keyboards, but found the new revisions greatly improved the feel for me.

Impressed with the speakers. Thought the USB-C-only ports would be a deal breaker, but I wound up picking up a few cheap dongles from Amazon for the rare instances that I need to charge or connect something.

Planning on going back to recording with Logic after a vacation with FL Studio on the PC side.

Reactions: xxray

LunchMercenary

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Just purchased a 13" 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar refurb (i5, 256 GB, 8 GB RAM) for $1200 at Microcenter. I've heard a lot of good things about their refurbs so I'm very excited for the MacBook Pro at this price.

Reactions: The Samurai

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Impressed with the speakers. Thought the USB-C-only ports would be a deal breaker, but I wound up picking up a few cheap dongles from Amazon for the rare instances that I need to charge or connect something.

Look on eBay for USB-A to USB-C endcap adapters. They're about $1 each. Just buy a handful of them and stash some extras around or snap one on the end of each USB-A device you use and you'll be good.

ian-frs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2007
ATL
Just ordered a i9 refub with Vega 20 since my 2011 pro died over the weekend. Hopefully I don't run into any keyboard issues, was trying to wait out for the refresh but looks like my mac had other plans.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Spilt tea onto my 2012 15" Retine MBP, slowly keys are failing. Decided it is time for a new MBP and so I've ordered a refurbished 2018 13" MBP with Touch Bar.

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
If the hoped-for updates don't happen at WWDC, or are minimal spec bumps, I'm probably gonna grab a refurb from Microcenter with AppleCare. Has anyone had any experience buying a refurb from Microcenter? The online reviews and comments from past employees make it appear like they try and pull shady stuff, but if AppleCare is valid on it it shouldn't really matter it, or so you'd think.

Microcenter currently has the 15" 560x refurb model for 2000, and the 555x model for 1799.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Have been using my 2018 15" with the 2.6 i7 and the Vega 16, so far I am not disappointed. Made sure to get AppleCare as $1,499 for a motherboard is not my cup of tea.

sonicbaz

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Brisbane
Picked up a new 2018 15" 2.6 i7 today. Specifically needed a laptop for Maschine Mk3. Was very close to getting pc but in the end the OS and overall form factor won me over. Its nice to be back.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Picked up a new 2018 15" 2.6 i7 today. Specifically needed a laptop for Maschine Mk3. Was very close to getting pc but in the end the OS and overall form factor won me over. Its nice to be back.

Wow, are we the same person? I also just upgraded to a 15" i7, 512GB SSD to go along with my new MK3! Was trying to hold off until WWDC, but I'm not too sure we'll see a complete redesign, and I can't just keep waiting for the next "latest and greatest" thing. I'm happy so far with the purchase. It's gonna last me a good long while.

I feel like most people experiencing keyboard failures are those that are writing constantly with it, but I won't need to use the keyboard too much in Maschine or Logic, so I'm not too worried. Plus the fact that they're covered for repair for up to 4 years.

Hope you're loving your MK3 as much as I am! This thing is amazing!

sonicbaz

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Brisbane
Wow, are we the same person? I also just upgraded to a 15" i7, 512GB SSD to go along with my new MK3! Was trying....

Exactly there will always be something new on the horizon and I really just need it as a brain. My main concern on Windows was DPC latency and the lack of benchmarks available. Dell XPS has a current design / bios / driver issue that was causing latency issues, but the fix just never came according to forums I was reading. The idea I have to performance optimise / tweak my laptop doesn't fill me with wondrous creativity or generate confidence I can reliably perform on stage either. I tested out my new mpb CPU usage running some of my set and I'm only using at most 25%!

Also maybe a little bit the 'Behind the Music' advertising that Apple did its job, but fair call they are the legit choice for a reason...but well played anyway Apple.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
If the hoped-for updates don't happen at WWDC, or are minimal spec bumps, I'm probably gonna grab a refurb from Microcenter with AppleCare. Has anyone had any experience buying a refurb from Microcenter? The online reviews and comments from past employees make it appear like they try and pull shady stuff, but if AppleCare is valid on it it shouldn't really matter it, or so you'd think.

Microcenter currently has the 15" 560x refurb model for 2000, and the 555x model for 1799.
Refurbs at Microcenter are Apple refurbs with Apple warranties. It's just like you're buying from Apple, so go get one; they're dirt cheap right now.

Reactions: Surf760

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Since today's launch was so uninspiring, especially as to the 13", I went out and just took advantage of the sale price on yesterday's 512gb 13" model. Would have done better for myself had I picked the same computer up in April at 1500 but it is what it is. At the very least Best Buy's $250 discount basically paid for the mandatory AppleCare.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Just got a cheapest MBA in grey color from local Apple store. That's for my wife, as she needs something to edit videos from her iPhone, and doing that on same iPhone is not something she enjoys...

Laptop is fine, though it made me again praised the day I switched to X1Carbon with Linux :)

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
Walked in to the Apple store planning to have a look at the new models then order online but they had the 32GB/1TB/Vega20 in stock so got it :)

First impressions coming from a Late-2013 is that it's MUCH faster, lighter, etc and they keyboard (low-travel, etc) is not as big a deal as people said. The one thing that's bothering me a bit is that the fan seems to be on a LOT but that might just be while I'm setting up, syncing dropbox, etc.

Reactions: Surf760

Lee M Dobson

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
Upgraded to the new 8 Core stock MBP from a Late-2013 MBP, the 2013 is still going strong, apart from the battery, however I think after 6 years it's time to upgrade (2.3GHZ 8 Core, 16GB, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory)

Reactions: arkzrlo

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Have a 2019 on order to replace my 2018. Looking forward to the extra cores and improved graphics (missed out on the upgrade for my 2018 since I had the first one)!

8 cores
32 GB RAM
Vega 20
2 TB

Reactions: badsimian

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Mine just arrived yesterday. I haven't been able to push it much yet, but in general use it's definitely speedier than my 6 core MBP. I feel like the keyboard feel has improved over my 2018 as well. I think the new material they moved to will help with the responsiveness and stability.

Reactions: kp98077

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I've just ordered a base 13" model. I really hope i don't live to regret this with the keyboard issues!!!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
My new machine was delivered about an hour ago, I've set it up and having a play around at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 264
Reactions: princ2 and Kristine

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Ordered a BTO (16GB x 512GB SSD 13”) on 6/4 and it’s showing preparing to ship to store. Original order said delivery by 6/18 so not sure if it will be any sooner. Any gotten one sooner than the projected date given when they ordered originally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.