The "I want an Apple Television for Christmas 2015" thread.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by animatedude, Jan 5, 2015.

1. animatedude, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

animatedude macrumors 65816

Will Apple release and Apple TV set already?!

I'm sick and tired of waiting to upgrade my 2008 bravia Sony TV....is Apple ever going to release one?

Hey Tim we need an Apple TV set this year OK?, we are tired of you playing with us by saying the same things over and over again when asked about an Apple Television.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Who is Tom?

3. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Tim's stepbrother

That is why the Apple TV is so neglected. :D

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

That makes sense now when you add that up with all of the other pieces to the puzzle.

5. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

corrected!

6. cynics macrumors G3

Who knows, might happen however personally I wouldn't count on it though.

Thats a market Apple will have a lot of trouble being competitive in. They would be sourcing parts from manufacturers that actually manufacture TV's. So if the contracted and paid Samsung (for example) for displays they would have to still pay for the rest of the parts and assembly further upping the price.

And what do you get? A Samsung TV with an Apple logo on it that is more expensive in an already saturated market that likely doesn't offer anything of any significant value over the competition. AppleTV already built in? Yawn...

7. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Exactly, I've never understood why anyone would want an actual Apple television set. You should be praying that LG's OLED comes down in price. That's the tech you really want.

Can you guess which one is the OLED?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

The price of LG's OLED TVs can drop as low as they want, but as long as they're also curved, I'll not be buying one. Great technology shouldn't need a gimmick.

9. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

You're in luck, they just announced flat models coming this year.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-65ef9500/

10. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Excellent! I've been using OLED at work for years so look forward to finally getting an OLED tv.

Although now I'll just need to wait for them to be a more reasonable size. 55"+ is far too big for me.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I really hope OLED succeeds, but my gut tells me it will never see the light of day. Plasma was superior to LED in terms of PQ and look what happended. The average consumer wants thin and large. They do not care about black levels, contrast, or various other problems videophiles do.

I hate to say it, but I think OLED is going to have a short lifespan unless they can really get the cost down. $3000 for a 55" TV is ludicrous for most. Not to mention people are being pushed to 4K and a 4K OLED is nearly double the price for 55"

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Buy yourself a TV, I do not think Apple will ever produce a TV set. Best we can hope for is a ATV with some SSD storage.

13. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

The 2015 65" model is 30 pounds. It checks all the boxes plasma never could. Thin, light, power efficient, can get extremely bright yet looks amazing in a dark room. From an aesthetics standpoint it's beautiful.

It's the same thing that happened when plasma first came out and they were 10 grand. Prices will come down over time as production and yields ramp up. LG seems to be in this for the long haul. They are using a new plant this year that has a higher output. Panasonic also announced they are releasing a 65" model this year.

One of the main reasons plasma died is because of 4K. They simply couldn't make them because the power requirement would be too high.

14. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I have no desire for an Apple television set.

What I do want is an upgraded AppleTV set-top box that delivers all of my content to whatever monitor I choose to use it with.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That. The bad reputation they got early on for burn in. Daylight viewing was not that great. Size.

LG is the only company pursing OLED. They do not market them at all, the yields are terrible, and they are double the cost of a 4k LED if not more. I hope I am wrong, but I think it will never take off.

16. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

Why do you want Apple to make one? What would an Apple television set do that an LG/Samsung/etc TV + Apple TV combo cannot? You'd just wind up with an overpriced LG or Samsung TV that has an integrated Apple TV. Plus, the display will most likely outlast the integrated Apple TV so you'll eventually just wind up buying some other external device in the future anyway.

I've never really understood the desire for an Apple branded TV.

17. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

Listen to yourself you just don't understand....I just want a new shiny TV with Apple logo.......

18. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Draw an apple on your TV. In my humble opinion Apple is not going to market a TV set. Their interest in the living room is content and content delivery. I'd be happy with an upgraded ATV

19. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Spoken like a true fanboy.

20. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

Then just buy a Samsung TV, slap an Apple sticker on it and velcro an Apple TV to the back... instant Apple branded television set. You'll probably even save yourself a $1,000.