The ideal mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elevon, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Elevon macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new mobile, hesitating whether to purchase the iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S2.

Out of curiosity, will buying an iPhone benefit a MBP user ??

Thanks,

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Yes. Macs and iPhones go hand in hand like best friends for life.

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Syncing iTunes to iPhone on mac will be a breeze.

I used to hate iTunes, but i use a PC and still love iTunes integration now. Easy backup and install of all my media,apps and books on the device. Go for it!

4. Elevon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, may I ask what sort benefit would I get with the 4s and MBP combination?

edit: thanks sentinelsx

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Benefit and ideal are both highly subjective matters. If you want feedback specific to you then you need to provide a lot more information regarding your needs/wants and priorities. Not sure why every thread like this seems to be missing this info. Device selection is never a one-size-fits-all matter.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Why not just use both phones and see which one you like best?

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

When their powers combine, they have the power gaia and can summon a guardian to defend our planet from evil polluters..... Captain Planet.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

One thing I like about Samsungs is how they can easily send/receive all kinds of files via bluetooth to my Mac. To be honest I'm a little disappointed that my 4S can't do that... There were a lot of little things like this that I had to do differently when I got my 4S, it was a steep learning curve for me :eek:

What sort of phone have you come from, OP?

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It really depends on a lot of factors (when I say Only the SGS2, I mean something that phone can do that the iPhone can't - a lot of other phones can also do what the SGS2 does) and I'm assuming you don't want to jailbreak:

1) Do you have protected content (TV Shows, Movies, older music) from the iTunes store that you want to listen to / watch on your phone? Only the iPhone can do that

2) Do you want to use iTunes Music Match directly from your phone? Only the iPhone can do that

3) Do you want to sync unprotected music and video from iTunes to your phone using your computer? Either is good for that

4) Do you want to sync unprotected music and video from iTunes to your phone wirelessly from your computer? Either is good for that

5) Do you want to use PhotoStream? Only the iPhone can do that to the full extent (although you can replicate a lot of PhotoStream's behaviour using DropBox and some apps / scripts)

6) Do you want to use iCloud document storage? Only the iPhone can do that

7) Do you want to send and receive files to / from your phone using Bluetooth? Only the SGS2 can do that

8) Do you want drag and drop support for media to your phone? Only the SGS2 can do that

9) Do you want a removable battery? Only the SGS2 can do that

10) Do you want a screen bigger than 3.5"? Only the SGS2 can do that

I had an SGS2 and was very happy with it (I moved to an iPhone 4S because my wife bought me one for Christmas), and it's a really good phone (as is the 4S)

For me personally, I prefer the 4S because of the interface and Music Match and a lot of little things, but there isn't such a thing as the ideal mobile.

What there is is the ideal mobile for an individual, but that depends on each individual's personal circumstances and requirements.

As for benefiting an MBP user, the only two things I can think of that work better on an iPhone is tethering ( you can tether through the cable to an MBP whereas I could only ever get the SGS2 to tether using WiFi. Whether that's a benefit or not I guess depends on whether you want to use tethering) and iWork integration - there are no android apps that will work with iWork documents directly

10. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Like a couple posters have mentioned above, it really depends on what you need a smartphone for.

I had an Android phone, but I switched to iPhone because it felt too... buggy. It was a Japanese Sharp SH-01D running 2.3.5.

I have a Macbook Air. With my iPhone 4S I can flawlessly sync my iTunes library and apps back and forth just by using iTunes. I've only had 1 or 2 minor problems but restoring it fixes everything (it's basically hitting a reset button).

My point is, I prefer the iPhone 4S over Android phones because the music integration is a big factor to me. When I had an Android phone, I had to download an app to play music (the default music player was in Japanese language). Even then I had to copy and paste my music files from my Mac to the SD card, and 10% of the time the music would be choppy or lag. I know this my music files aren't corrupted because they play perfectly on iTunes and my current iPhone.

So yeah, ask yourself what you want a smartphone for. Then weight out the pros and cons of an Android device versus an iPhone. Make the right choice and don't regret it.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You get additional options when it comes to how you sync information like contacts and calendar data between your desktop and your iPhone. With an Android device you've got Google, perhaps some exchange support, and that's it. With an iPhone, you have those options as well as iCloud, and media/data sync via cable or over Wifi through iTunes.

There's also some automatic things built in. Downlaoding apps on your iPhone means copies are downloaded to your Mac through iTunes. And then there's photo stream.

Whether or not these features are useful is up to you. Personally I find them to be nice perks, but the real thing that keeps me with iOS is that my iPhone works more reliably than I've seen out of any Android so far. And I just like the iPhone 4S form factor.