The ''Illegal'' debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Oct 27, 2014.

1. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This popped up in today's news:

Hopefully the name will change before it opens. Although the Pete's intent is not to be offensive but it looks downright offensive for a Mexican restaurant run by a white American.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/money/2014/10/22/residents-ask-illegal-petes-change-name/17738197/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good lord, some people will always find something that offends them. I guess that compensates for their otherwise bleak and meaningless lives.

3. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

What if a restaurant opened named Redneck Yanks with American fast food ran by a Mexican person, you would not find that offensive?

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No.

5. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Then that's only your opinion, saying that people who find this offensive lead a bleak and meaningless life is just ignorant.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can always call them undocumented democrats :eek:
    how will it be offensive? here in CA a semi decent mexican taco stand is owned by orientals & run by hispanics, I have seen plenty of Hispanics at Panda Express as well, I see nothing "offensive" about it.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Last week I dined at a fantastic Italian restaurant own and operated by a Latino gentleman. Do you really suppose an Italian-American should be offended that a Salvadoran owns an Italian restaurant? There were some goombahs eating there who didn't seem offended.

8. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

You might not but clearly from all the articles, a lot of people feel insulted by the name.

Having the word ''illegal'' is the issue here, Panda Express has nothing remotely offensive about it.

----------

It's all in the name

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I was responding to what you said earlier:
    But, the name doesn't bother me a bit, either.

10. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Sorry should've specified ''with the name Illegal Pete'', the whole context of the article is about the name. Should have been obvious.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't find Redneck to be dehumanizing. Offensive sure, but not dehumanizing.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the OP's linked article ...

Interest sparked.

Mission accomplished.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

are they here LEGALLY? no? so ILLEGALLY fits.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Illegal Juan's" or "Illegal Hector's" might raise an eyebrow, but "Pete" is a completely un-Hispanic name. Basically, there are a lot more important things to worry about, IMO.

15. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I will admit that I laughed at illegal being described as "the I-word." Grievance theater.

16. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Are all Mexicans in the USA there illegally? No

----------

The words illegals and aliens are often associated with Mexicans immigrants. The restaurant serves Mexican food, I'll let let you figure out the rest.

There are always more important things to worry about, does not mean we should ignore smaller issues.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you go by the term "emigrated from scotland john?"

If you want to say that people immigrated illegally that's fine, as long as the context is talking about their immigration status.

To define a group of people as illegals, however, doesn't describe anything other than their immigration status. I don't know anybody that identifies that way in everyday life (I'm not "born in America Nick).

The problem becomes now that their entire identity is defined by their immigration status, which is ********.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

then it only applies to a few, I would eat there, some illegals make great food, I doubt some of the places that I eat have waitresses/cooks who are here "legally". I am not there to question their immigration status, I am there to eat.

----------

if the huarache fits, wear it. been called illegal a few times, I don't care, it doesn't bother me, I don't waste my time trying to prove that I am not.

19. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Of course it does not bother you. You're not Mexican. I wouldn't be offended if someone called a dirty yank but I would feel greatly insulted if someone called a slanted eye chink.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

here is my "ancient alien" mom and I .
    [​IMG]

Here is what we had for dinner
    [​IMG]
    couple of bowls of beans with milk.

Born La Barca Jal Mexico, 1971 , been here full time since 1986.
    I don't have a VJJ that gets hurt because someone called me "illegal", I can go dance from

w/o skipping a beat.

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The problem is this is not the old Mexicans coming up for a seasonal work. This people are long gone. It is now every Central immigrant taking advantage yo come here and stay. To me is ruined the setup the traditional Mexicans had for a long time.

22. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Sorry, did not know that you were Mexican. Even then, just because you're not offended, does not mean it's not offensive.

----------

So we should call them all illegals and aliens?

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I don't call them anything. However I do ask that they learn the prevailing lanuage of the USA (American English) and not their former their country's national holiday while living here.

Sorry but I am not what you think.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Taco Bell used the slogan "Make A Run For The Border" in the 90's. They were smart enough to take to get rid of that slogan.

I think in this situation, it depends on the area. If it's in a high populated diverse place like NYC that already has thousands of restaurants with catchy controversial names, I doubt anyone would care.

But in a small town like Ft Collins with less than 160,000 population that's mostly white, and having a white owned Mexican restaurant called "Illegal Pete's" is pretty much borderline offensive.

The excuse of the name just based on a book is B.S to me. I doubt it would have been called "Illegal Pete's" if it were an Italian or Thai restaurant. I believe the owner just wanted a catchy name, not to offend anyone, but it back fired.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

everything is "offensive" to someone, illegal alien is a term to applies to many.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegal+alien

illegal is not exclusive to hispanics,
    http://www.krgv.com/news/border-patrol-reports-increase-in-number-of-otm-arrests/