The iMac I am to going to order. Now, what to do about THE RAM?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Amnesiac1, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    • 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    • Magic Trackpad
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac- Auto-enroll
    • Apple Remote
    • Apple Battery Charger

As per the advice of the members of this forum, I am opting to purchase RAM from elsewhere. I have noticed that people have been having trouble with OWC RAM and their iMacs, so I'm avoiding that (there is also the fact that OWC does not make its own RAM so it is difficult to know what brand they will ship out to you). Since 16GB may be overkill, I want to bring my iMac up to 12GB...

So, my questions are:

1. Which brand? Crucial? Is the RAM at this link good?
    2. Is there a certain combination that is better than others? For instance, should I get another 2x4 or should I get a single 4GB stick? Will the performance suffer if I get another 2x4 set instead of a single 4GB stick?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

2X4GB is best
    That ram is fine.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Who cares

is it really that bigger issue.

To the thread starter, you will get dual the dual channeling advantage aswell if you have two ram chips installed next to each other, its supposed to increase performance but i think badger said you wont even notice it. Still, when someone asks you whats the ram in this thing, u can just fold your arms and say, 12 gigabites. :p

5. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay... so, in order to do this, do I need to buy a single 4GB stick or can I do it with the RAM I linked to in my original post.

By the way, to be clear, I am going to be adding onto the RAM that came with the machine...

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I also have the 2x2GB ram and want to add the 2x4. Do I need to move the 2x2 to the lower slots when I add the 2x4? Or can I add the 2x4 to the open lower slots?

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

As I said before. 2X4GB is best, meaning two sticks of RAM, not one. The one you linked is fine. Always go dual.

8. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

9. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Why read the thread? Why comment on the thread? I'm sure the OP (and the rest of us) could cope without your vital input.

Perhaps not everyone on this forum is quite as knowledgable and awesome as you are. Perhaps you should bear that in mind before you post in future.

10. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So long as the 'dust behind the screen' doesn't scare me off, I'll be purchasing some Corsair RAM and installing it in my iMac before turning it on for the first time.

11. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

Is there something called DUAL CHANNEL like normal computers in iMac? So do I have to care about which slot to put which rams? for example, the original 2x2G rams have been fixed in slots when it arrived..when I bought anither 2x4G rams, is there any pattern I should put The two kinds of Rams in places?

12. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

Many of us bought G.Skill RAM (lifetime warranty) and have it working with no issue...some got 8GB for $65 USD shipped...deals are out there, look around

13. wangkom, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011

wangkom macrumors member

Yeah, there are a billion ram posts....

Having said that. I prefer mushkin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226027

14. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is G.Skill better than Corsair?

15. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

It's all opinion...fact of the matter is that there are a few companies out there that make RAM components and assemble the components to make the RAM sticks.
    Choosing one over another is like choosing two different brands of batteries. Yeah, one maybe Duracell and one may be the "store" brand but they work just as well and very well may have been made in the same factory but because there is no advertising for the store brand, the price is lower - many think this implies "cheap" or "not as good a value" but at the end of the day, they last just as long.

Read the reviews, check the specs and see what the warranty is. If it is lifetime, can you really go wrong? Besides, these components will need to be used 5, maybe 7 years if you push it and will be obsolete in 3-4 yrs.

All I can tell you about the G.Skill is that I put it in, it worked and I saved $$$ over Crucial - would have saved even more if I waited a couple more weeks.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You have four slots, the 2x2GB is in two slots in dual channel, put the 2x4GB in the remaining slots

17. coreperformance macrumors newbie

Boot it up first. Make sure everything is working before you make any changes.

18. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

Can anyone state in a clearer way to show which two slots are in DUAL CHANNEL? I have no clear mind on dual channel in the four slots.

19. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

dont buy gskill or corsair, buy Crucial ram, the highest rated ram.

20. Steamrunner macrumors member

The manual shows you, but it's the pair of slots that go from side to side on the current iMac, not from front to back. In other words, the two slots closest to the screen, or the two that are closest to the back - not the two on the left or the two on the right.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The ones that are filled are dual channel with each other, likewise with the ones that aren't filled

22. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

23. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still deciding about whether or not to go with Corsair or G.Skill...

24. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about this?

25. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

does not matter,but I booted my machine and ran it for a day I also did a full software update first. I booted saw the update worked and I then added my ram and booted.