The iMac is dead...?

grouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
london
Just to keep us all occupied while we countdown the hours to Macworld. It occured to me that the iMac maybe about to be killed off.

It's possible. The new iBook is good enough to be your consumer notebook and desktop, so a flat screen iMac might be too similar. The breakthrough consumer device could well be a hybrid, replacing the current iMac and adding all number of less computery features such as a home device to control all manner of things, including the much rumoured games angle.

And a new iMac or a speed bumped G4 (however fast), or a rather obsolute already, although Apple-cool PDA, don't cut it either...

Let's have your personal riffs on this....

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
This has been discussed previously

We've had a few discussions on this topic, and it has even been *strongly* rumored that the 'iMac' name is also caput. Chances are, they will release a new comsumer, flat screen, powerPC called something different than an iMac, with a different strategy/focus. It will be the true new digital hub.

But hell. Who really knows?

grouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
london
oops, sorry, I'm new to this

Not such an original thought then!

Let's hope, then, it has nothing to do with motorized scooters!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
the iMac shall live!!

I don't think the iMac is dead. From everything we've read and what we all know, the iMac is in need of a major makeover. Everyone I've talked to speculates an LCD iMac will make it's debut next week. There also the very minor possibility that we'll see a G4 processor in it as well. If we don't see G4 specs, we should see something in the Ghz range with a G3.

It would be a mistake for Apple to kill off the iMac....I don't think they can afford to bite the hand that's fed them for the past few years. They need the iMac to keep up to consumer level demand. The fact that the iMac is still a desktop computer, while the iBook is a portable should give it enough stature on it's own. The 2 are similar, but after next week, they very well may be quite different.

my 2¢....

greg godwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Re: the iMac shall live!!

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't think the iMac is dead. From everything we've read and what we all know, the iMac is in need of a major makeover. Everyone I've talked to speculates an LCD iMac will make it's debut next week. There also the very minor possibility that we'll see a G4 processor in it as well. If we don't see G4 specs, we should see something in the Ghz range with a G3.

It would be a mistake for Apple to kill off the iMac....I don't think they can afford to bite the hand that's fed them for the past few years. They need the iMac to keep up to consumer level demand. The fact that the iMac is still a desktop computer, while the iBook is a portable should give it enough stature on it's own. The 2 are similar, but after next week, they very well may be quite different.

my 2¢....
Remember "iMac" is simply a brand name. The new successor will go by a different name, and it is a significantly different type of machine, although aiming for the same sort of market.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
aha!!

This is they guy Im talking about. I think he has connections, but he hasnt told me anything yet......
Godwin........Windows God?
Greg.............Gates?

he he. I think we are all slap happy waiting for MWSF

grouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
london
maybe it doesn't have a screen at all

A digital hub, in its truest sense would be an enabling device. Does anyone know if the current PS2, Nintendo new thing or the Xbox play DVD's too?

If not, a computer hub that plugs into a TV, plays DVDs, hooks up to the hi-fi, voice activated (hence distance from screen and no need for keyboard) would fit some of the criteria.

Also see Greg Godwin's comment on an adjacent thread:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=965

grouse

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
DVD?
XBox: Yes
PS2: Yes
Nintendo Gamecube: No (uses a smaller mini DVD thingy)

I agree that Greg has the vision, and probably some insider info. I was just giving him a hard time.

Digital Hub? I certainly see this as a possibility. No keyboard and all voice activated? Damn, another posibility, but I doubt it. There still lots and lots of functions (like design, artowork, 3D apps, games, etc) that require physical input devices. Plus, people still actually enjoy typing. I could see implementation of BOTH however.

I LOVE the TiVo idea, and the Digital Hub concept is CERTAINLY a great way to go to combine all the entertainment, internet, and basic computer needs of all consumers.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
what will it be called?

I think a lot of us know about the iMac name possibly being replaced....I simply forgot to include that in my posting previously. So maybe I should say that we won't lose the iMac in spirit?!