macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
I AM PISSED AT APPLE.
1. NO G5
2. A "update" to the iBook
3. Digital Device? I DONT THINK SO!
4.(and this takes the cake) THE IMAC LOOKS LIKE A FRIGGEN LUXO LAMP!
The Apple Design team had a perfect chassis (the imac's before this) and what did they do? THEY TOOK A GOOD THING AND MADE IT DEPLORABLE! I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF TAKING MY IMAC AND SHOVING IT DOWN THE TOILET AND BUYING A PC!

GeneralAntilles

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
Get over yourself

Jessus man, get OVER yourself, if you actually FOLLOWED the industry you would realize the G5 was not coming out here, maybe MWNY, or MWT but not here. Considering that the consumer level computers are a major part of Apple's business, and that this is a step forward for them, Apple doesnt focus on people like YOU, but on the market at wide. The digital "device" is iPhoto. If you don't like it then fine, but don't abandon Apple because of one product that you and your ego did not like.

P.S. Get a life and a sense of tast

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Insider

Dont worry about a G5, why do you think the iMac is taking the place of the Tower (G4). MW Tokyo is in stock for the G5, and I am POSITIVE of that.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
R2D2.

I swear I have a stereo that looks like the new iMac. I got it from my moms, is from the 70's and I saw one just like that in Austin Powers.

The new iMac would look better when they chanege the colors. Imagine that pot in flowers or dalmatian.

Looks so much from a Star Wars... but when Carrie Fisher was young.

Looks like the first generation R2D2.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
retro is cool

I didn't think it looked retro...but even if u think it does....it's still a damned cool conversation piece...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
hey mymemory,

how's things going in venezuela? Haven't heard much about it in the news and i'm just a little curious since i'll be there later in the year for my brothers' wedding! Still in the financial s***?

C

Crank

Re: R2D2.

Originally posted by mymemory
I swear I have a stereo that looks like the new iMac. I got it from my moms, is from the 70's and I saw one just like that in Austin Powers.

The new iMac would look better when they chanege the colors. Imagine that pot in flowers or dalmatian.

Looks so much from a Star Wars... but when Carrie Fisher was young.

Looks like the first generation R2D2.
You got it from your "moms?" Man, you are so fly... You are a bad mamma-jamma! Come on! Confess! You are Austin Powers, aren't you?

BTW...you might want to invest in the occasional "it" (as in, "(It) looks so much..." and "(It) looks like the first generation..." etc.

Other than that, your comments are very lucid. Really. I mean it.

Really!

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
I AGREE WITH 100 PERCENT!!!! ive been rambling like a mad man in the hardware discussions so im not saying much here, im tired... but to sum it all up

IMAC SUCKS!!!!

atleast R2 had personality!

ModernDesign

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
The Future

Apple has single-handedly revolutionized the design of computers and eletronics. How can you say that the new iMac looks crappy when the Sony Design Team came up with a maroon boxy flat-face piece of crap (mind you, with a hideous logo) for their Sony Vaio (what a name...)? PC's are trying very hard to even come up to par with the Apple Design Team, and they aren't even close. And if you pull some lame remark about how design isn't important, read this: Design has been around ever since consumer products have existed. It is an integral part of actually getting people to buy these products. Would you rather have a generic plastic chair, or would you rather have an Aeron chair or an Eames chair? The designer chairs, of course. Not only because good design envolves ergonomics, but also because they are aesthetically pleasing. Is that word too big for you?

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Is the new imac that ergonomic? And did it take tons of time to design it?

I can see the Apple design team right now...rolling up clay balls, cutting them in half, sticking a toothpick in it, and taping a cardboard monitor to it, all while rushing to the Director's meeting, where Steve is waiting. They give him some ******** story about ergonomics, (when really they had just been f*cking around for the last 9 months) and Steve eats it up.

Whammo. The true evolution of the iMac. (Un-condensed version)

Ha. 14? c'mon! We all know internet age is relative and unimportant.

MyMemory--nice to have you back!

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Whine

THEY TOOK A GOOD THING AND MADE IT DEPLORABLE! I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF TAKING MY IMAC AND SHOVING IT DOWN THE TOILET AND BUYING A PC!
........want some cheese with that whine Str8edgepunker?

N

Normal Guy

Shut up or Put Up

I'm not here to bicker, but this post kinda made me remember the conversations I heard with the iMac R2 came out. Of course the hard core mac loyalist screemed that it was an embarassment, and the windows users labeled it sour fruits. At any rate lets at least buy one and check out the power before we scrap the design. The monitor config, ugly as it is, it actually very smart. It is extremely flexable, and positionable, something not found in any other LCD, the pc base adds weight and stability. Looks fine to me. In the begining I thought the origional iMac was nuts too.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Interesting comment from another thread

In another thread, someone brought up the idea that the neck could house a future coupling for additional monitor size options.

But that was just the start. The designer in the Keynote said he wanted to "violate the sacred plane of the display" or something close.

So what if their WAS a tablet display type removable, airport/etc. device a la iWalk in a few years?

Interesting idea I thought. Man, Apple's design team must love their jobs! :)

P

phaedrus

"A FRIGGEN LUXO LAMP" . . . hmmm. . . . Well, let's think about it. Job's metaphor was a "sunflower," with the drive and motherboard "horizontally" on the "ground," where they "naturally" want to be, and an LCD floating in the air "vertically" and unencumbered, where it "naturally" wants to be. A good implementation of Aristotle's theory of forms--but I won't go into that here. Nevertheless, I like the "luxo lamp" metaphor, despite its pejorative use in this forum. Think about it: why are desk lamps designed like that? Well, because it's useful for moving light around where it's most needed for the task at hand. Why shoudn't PC displays be as useful? I'll admit (per the "luxo lamp" metaphor) that when I first looked at pics of the new imac, it seemed to me that it belonged on a display shelf in Target. But then I got to thinking (2 watt lighbulb illuminating): hmmm . . . Target sells a lot of very useful, simple, stylish, inexpensive things.

P

Phaedrus

A bit more. My roomate pointed out that--similar to a lamp (ala Target)--why not give the new imac a "goose-neck"? Think about it: why not perch the LCD high atop a bendable wire covered with adjacent metal rings? This would allow the monitor to be infinitely more positionable. And goose-necks don't tend to loosen and wear out as quickly as swing-arms. In addition, the curves of the goose-neck would compliment the curves of the hemispheric base, rather than introducing an intermediary set of sharp, oscillating angles, like the swing-arm does. You protest that the goose-neck is not futuristic?--you have obviously not seen the original Star Trek pilot, mi amigo. . . .

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Luxo

Here's an interesting tidbit:

Steve Jobs is the CEO of both Apple and Pixar. One of Pixar's first short films was called "Luxo Jr." It was about a father and son lamp, and they now use that lamp in their branding sceme and logos.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
GOOSENECKS (ack, friggin capslock!!)

I wondered that myself, then I realized that if you could rotate the monitor horizontally at BOTH ends of the neck, it'd be more unstable. IE: It'd move the center of mass too far away from the center of the base. That AND it'd be kinda tacky to have an iMac that creaks when you shift it around.

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
- agreenster, found you again

The luzo point is not that interesting. It's a given, we know that Lasseter (sic?) Pixar-director, directed the new iMac advert. It's a stitch up. Jobs has always found that Pizar ident with the anglepoise 'cute' and quirkey, all you need to do is compare the similarities between that and the iMac promo.

And since this may well be my 30th post here's some Nietschze, more relevant to all the discussion boards since the keynote

"In peace the warlike man attacks himself" - beyond good and evil