The importance of WW2 to the AngloSaxon world?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

On another thread America, were the good guys, most of the answers were about WW2.

I always ask why is World War Two such a touchstone to the English speaking world?
    You all have endless TV programmes, Movies and books about it.

Not many people here in Europe really give a flying ******* about the war.
    The school history books only concentrate on Hitlers rise to power.
    I'm 64yrs old it was my fathers war, nothing to do with me.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Surprising, I would have figured that it would be more important to Europe since it took place mainly on your soil and not here in the 48 states at all.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would think you would want to talk about it so you don't repeat it.

4. Fazzy macrumors 6502

It was important, ofcourse it was. It pretty much shaped Europe into what we know it today. When I did history at school we focused on the beginnings of it aswell as all the stuff about Hitler.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Except for Pearl Harbor, the U.S. itself was unscathed after the war--so it probably doesn't have quite the horrific memory that many might want to forget in Europe. In fact, the war brought us out of the Depression and many U.S. companies profited greatly from it. The two decades after the war are considered by many to be a high point in living standards here.

That's all over now, as the standard of living has fallen through the floor in many parts of the U.S. -- but at least there are the memories.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its just one of those things that gets romanticized about in history. Americans focus a lot on pivotal wars in media. Vietnam and Korea are of course left alone for the most part as I imagine will happen with Iraq/Afghanistan afterwards.

Many facts are glossed over in these media portrayals to make the US the super hero.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Ironically, I wouldn't have been alive if the war hadn't happened.

So in one way, it is important to me. And I do find the hole history interesting. But I'm not obsessing, or constantly reminding every German I meet that we won.

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

This, WWII is one of those things that really makes Americans feel good about themselves so we keep going back to it.

As far as it's actual importance it's shaped a-lot of the world we live in today. It laid the groundwork for the Cold War, was the start of the nuclear era etc.

So it is was an enormously important event.

But what the average American fixate's on was how great we were (see Rick Santorum's recent speeches on the subject).

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think having a knowledge and understanding of the second world war is vital whether your one or five generations away from it. Fascism is raising it's ugly head again in many parts of Europe including the Netherlands and it needs to be countered wherever they pop up. Incidentally I went to school with several kids from the Netherlands their parents were orphaned by the war and NZ took quite a lot of them (other countries too of course).If people are not constantly vigilant and with the present economic conditions a rerun is a distinct possibility.

10. Squadleader, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Squadleader macrumors regular

Perhaps you would rather forget that your country was overrun in three days while your gov't fled....?? or that 17,000. US Troops & Airborne lost their lives liberating YOUR country....

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I think Americans see WWII as a defining moment for the US. It showed off our industrial/military might as we pumped out aircraft carrier after aircraft carrier, plane after plane, tank after tank, etc fight on two fronts and one front we defeated on our own mostly.

WWII can be described here as, " America, **** Yeah!" :p

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Oh good, I was wondering when a belligerent yank with a superiority complex was going to come flapping in with an ignorant comment.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This.

It was our classic "good versus evil". It is referred to as "the last good war" (as if there is such a thing).

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Maybe not "good war", but maybe "proper war".

See this video for some strangely spot-on points.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The Korean War usually lives up to it's nickname The Forgotten War, but there have been a number of films, and at least one TV show, that have Vietnam as the backdrop. Everything from dramas such as Platoon to popcorn action flicks like Missing in Action. I think Iraq and Afghanistan will be the same way. Heck, there are already military films set in those locations.

I agree that pivotal wars will get the most media attention but it doesn't have to be a victorious war to be a pivotal part of US history.

Lethal

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

America's part in WWII allowed us to view ourselves as VIPs. The fact that we were unscathed afterwards and the really amazing future impact of the Marshall Plan as well as the general modernization of the American economy and infrastructure after the war meant we had a head start in economic recovery.

One thing that always bothers me about the brits is their underlying antipathy towards the Germans. Whether it's the BBC, The Sun or even Top Gear, there's always this need to remind them of the war. Yes, we should always remember but very few of us anymore have anything to remember as very few are still alive who lived through the war.

With Americans, it's an unhealthy obsession with American superiority and social simplicity, the idea that 'the good old days were truly better' while forgetting of course all the ugly aspects of society in those days.

17. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

I have in all truth no idea what hell you are talking about. If you think that there are Fascist parties here in mainland Europe.:confused:

Of course the fact that the Netherlands was a neutral country on the 10th May 1940, might explain why it was over run so quickly.
    But given the fact that the Germans beat the UK and French armies in 27 days, puts the Netherlands defeat in some perspective.

This is what interested me, I remember in 2006 at the World Cup football English people with T shirts with slogans about the war.

18. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Yes we do, what a stupid comment to make. You say you are 64yo? you obviously have not been to school to study history which is nearly all about Hitler's rise, WW2 and the Holocaust.

I have to admit that in Europe we don't go around saying how superior we are because we entered the war late as America does (they entered late for the second time I might add) and then claim that the entire victory was due to them... that pisses me off and looking back I would rather the Germans won than have ignorant American's claiming to be better than us and saying they saved us.

Look at America now to compared to Europe (especially Northern Europe and Germany), who is laughing now? :D

/Rant :p

19. Squadleader macrumors regular

I agree, but the facts are still the same..Some 17000 Americans, Canadian and British died liberating your country as well as the rest of the neutral countries that served a purpose to the Germans...Perhaps a little respect is in order as you really owe your very existence to America and its sons and daughters of that day...While those of us have a right to swell our chests once in a while in honor and respect of all of them.....including my father, yes my father..

Your Welcome.....

20. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

The Top Gear things I consider playful bantering, but there might be some deeper contempt there (I don't have much insight into modern british society's values).

That being said, it used to be pretty bad in Norway too. We had a term called "tyskertøser" (german sluts literally translated) for the women who had children with german soldiers, and both they and their children were shunned for many years after the war.

But for us, 1940-1945 are a five year period of absolute darkness, where we lost many lives and were robbed of many national values, sort of. While it was mostly peaceful after the dust settled and the germans had control, a lot of bad stuff happened to those who weren't playing along. While there weren't that many excecutions to my knowledge, a lot of torture occured, and many Norwegians were shipped to consentration camps. We don't generally like being occupied it seems.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There are some folk who carry on along such lines ('two World Wars and one World Cup', and all that), but I do think things aren't as quite as bad on that front as they used to be.

As a case in point, I remember the tabloid headlines before England played Germany at Euro 96, there was one which devoted its front page to a War-based headline (something along the lines of 'Achtung! Surrender Fritz!' if memory serves) complete with doctored images of England players wearing WW2-era British Army helmets. The paper was later forced into apologising to both the German team and the England players pictured, who had no say in their images being used in this manner.

I don't recall seeing anything on that scale from the press during the last time England and Germany met (at the last World Cup) so one would like to think lessons have been learnt.

22. Happybunny, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

You answered my question, of course you hark back to war, that was the point of the thread. The constant harking on about the war is an AngloSaxon trait.

One of the main points of the European Union was to lessen tensions between France and Germany. You have no idea what school books look like here on mainland Europe.

The bold statement is a bit worrying, so you would except the death camps just so you could show off to the Americans?

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Statements such as these make my blood boil, not because I don't respect the role the US played at the end of WWII but the attitude that goes with it.

OK, maybe we wouldn't have defeated the Germans as easily without your people but most of the fights, losses of lives and destruction happened to Europeans on their soil. Once the war was won, the US went back and lived a prosperous life better than ever while Europe was struggling to rebuild its infrastructure and own way of life.

Cut us some slack if we don't praise you and your people for your [delayed] efforts, we aren't raised to blindly follow our country or claim to know and have it all. The US is a great country - I lived there for several years and would go back again - but it's far from being the greatest in the world.

I'd say that America's obsession with WWII is more along the lines of an ego stroke to remind themselves that despite the crappy economy and failing infrastructure of it's own country and society - the presidential election isn't making it any rosier - they can still walk out of the door shouting "We're the best! We're the best!"

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh good, I was wondering when a belligerent Scott with an inferiority complex was going to come flapping in with an insecure comment.

25. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I am not Anglo-saxon although in saying that my family before me were on my mothers side so I am be a little :p

Really? I thought it was the single market, free movement of people and political integration... not to make tensions between France and Germany lessen. Oh don't I? how would you know? are you me? :rolleyes:

What is wrong with preferring Germany over America as a superpower at the time? although a lot of bad happened due to the Nazi's, a lot of good also happened... do you take the good with the bad or do you become a slave to America?

----------

The term is 'Scot' or 'Scots' if more than one is with one T not two... :mad: