The Incredibles Sells 5 Million Units Day 1

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
WTF!

At Sam's Club, they sell an "exclusive" Incredibles pack with the 2 DVDs and a PC CD-ROM. . .that is Windows only!

How could Steve-o let those mofo's at Wally World pimp software that disses the OS of his "other" company?

Feh! I'm buying it elsewhere!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Good movie. Don't appreciate Disney deciding to release the full screen and wide-screen version seperately. All previous Disney releases contained both versions of the film for the same price.

We like to watch the widescreen version on our projector and the full screen version our "normal" TV. Its not worth buying both versions of the film.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's something I don't understand about the US market - the concept of 'fullscreen' DVDs. They don't exist over here, all DVDs are widescreen.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Nermal said:
That's something I don't understand about the US market - the concept of 'fullscreen' DVDs. They don't exist over here, all DVDs are widescreen.
i wish all DVDs here too were widescreen, come on it just makes more sense!!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Plus our PAL format movies have a higher resolution than NTSC and more closely match the 24 fps used by film :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
PlaceofDis said:
i wish all DVDs here too were widescreen, come on it just makes more sense!!
It doesn't make sense unless you have a large widescreen TV. I don't know about you, but who wants to watch a widescreen movie on a 20" 4:3 television?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
joshuawaire said:
It doesn't make sense unless you have a large widescreen TV. I don't know about you, but who wants to watch a widescreen movie on a 20" 4:3 television?
id still rather not have parts of the movie chopped off for the fullscreen movie

id rather be able to see the movie as it was in the theater, not chopped up like the fullscreen version

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
joshuawaire said:
*raises hand*

I do because it's the way the movie was intended to be viewed. Pan-and-scan, full-screen versions of movies are awful, from a cinematography standpoint.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What's the format that allows decent viewing by both 4:3 and 16:9? It's a compromise on both ends. They use it on certain television shows like The West Wing. We have a box set of Season 2 of the series and if you play the DVD on a 4:3 TV it has very thin letterboxing. Also, if you play the DVD on a 16:9 TV, you take advantage of widescreen (or so it appears, not sure if it is actual film ratio).

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
MacBytes said:
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: The Incredibles Sells 5 Million Units Day 1
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
Incredible!!

Sorry, had to say it!

I have just got my first tv EVER (and on my 18th XMAS as well...!), and I'm sorry to say - forward thinking as i am, it's a 21" standard 4:3 screen thingy... but i still always watch widescreen - I've got a 12" powerbook, and watch in widescreen... I've been watching everything in widescreen for ages - ever since i got shown how much they cut out on "full screen" versions:

Star Trek III, not the greatest example but Spock Kirk and that Blonde are sitting in her pickup truck. Widescreen, you get a full shot of the three of them, all the reactions etc. etc. Full screen it pan+scans between the three characters, so you miss out on all these hidden nuances!

Obviously the American market is quite stubborn in some ways... otherwise there'd be no point selling full screen versions!

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
joshuawaire said:
What's the format that allows decent viewing by both 4:3 and 16:9? It's a compromise on both ends. They use it on certain television shows like The West Wing. We have a box set of Season 2 of the series and if you play the DVD on a 4:3 TV it has very thin letterboxing. Also, if you play the DVD on a 16:9 TV, you take advantage of widescreen (or so it appears, not sure if it is actual film ratio).
I think that's popularly known as "letter box" format, though I'm not sure if it's the official term. The BBC offers three different kinds of digital format, I believe:
Standard 4:3
Letterbox, where there's a feeling of widescreen, but it's subtle as you describe
Widescreen - Only worth watching on 16:9 screens, otherwise you'd get a squashed up image!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Great movie and I bought it this week as well.

Jack Jack Attack is a great little short and I actually want to see more of Jack Jack :D

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Widescreen DVDs are better. You really don't even need to buy FS DVDs. You can set your DVD player to display a fill your 4:3 TV by enlarging the image and cutting off the widescreen sides. Most consumers, though dont know how to do that, so Disney offers a "foolproof" method to watch movies in FS.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Yeah I just saw this movie 3 days ago and I want to see it again already. The animation was supurb, especially the lighting. The movie went visually to places I wished to see but didn't think was going to be shown.

Good for Pixar.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I never watched the movie. This is most definitely good news for Pixar. I'm curious as to how deeply connected Pixar and Apple are.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
hob said:
I think that's popularly known as "letter box" format, though I'm not sure if it's the official term. The BBC offers three different kinds of digital format, I believe:
Standard 4:3
Letterbox, where there's a feeling of widescreen, but it's subtle as you describe
Widescreen - Only worth watching on 16:9 screens, otherwise you'd get a squashed up image!
According to Amazon's technical details the widescreen format I'm referring to is of a 1.77:1 ratio. The format included on the Incredibles DVD is of a 2.39:1 anamorphic ratio. There is a rather large difference, although hard to describe without showing the actual dvds.