The indignation re: Cook's social-political responses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 62tele, Apr 2, 2017.

1. 62tele, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017

62tele macrumors 6502a

I know many here frequently post nasty comments about Tim Cook taking a position on certain issues.
    I was just reading that General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt is also beginning to oppose some of Trump's policies.
    He states "we're cowards if we don't".

There cannot be a double standard. For years major corporation CEOs, have inserted themselves in political discussions, aside from their lobbying efforts. Most of them expressing very conservative views which were self serving to their companies. I would say that is more than fair that CEOs with a differing perspective can voice their opinions as well.

The same goes for those who state the Pope should remain silent on issues of economics, social justice, war, climate change. Yet, he is expected to remain silent while other ministers of faiths can voice their opinions, influence their followers for conservative causes some of which are antithetical to their faith. Of course, the Christian Right has lost any moral authority it had in embracing Trump.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I agree with all of this… apart from the bolded part.

Why should he stay silent? There's a shed load of people who look to Il Papa as moral/socio-political guide. Thank god (no pun intended) that currently there is a pope who at least has one foot in the 20th Century… the other still stuck in the Mediaeval age.

3. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I think they should speak out. Idc.

The Pope though- nothing personal but his comments regarding immigration are idiotic at best. "You should let everybody into your country" - guy that lives in walled city that you have to pay to enter and doesn't allow people to immigrate.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's a dude who wears a funny hat and a cape ...

5. 62tele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry about that.. the "Yes" should have been "Yet'. I meant to convey that others want him to stay silent. You're exactly right he has the moral authority, right and OBLIGATION to speak out on such matters.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2017 ---
    yes, you're right. He should ignore the part of scripture that says "whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers..". I find it odd that pick out this particular example and ignore the others that I mentioned.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2017 ---
    Very nice. That's your contribution about a man referred to as the "Vicar of Christ"? As opposed to all the funny fundamentalists who wore powder leisure suits for years, However, where would the polyester business have been without so many buying those "Sunday going to meeting" threads? (See what I did there?)

6. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

What's odd about it?

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

I'm not getting it.