The insanity of Trump's Presidency never ends...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Dec 14, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/14/politics/ivanka-trump-white-house-office-of-the-first-family/

Ivanka Trump is poised to play an active role in her father's administration, assuming some of the duties normally assigned to the first lady. Trump transition aides are already planning for an "Office of the First Family," in the East Wing where the current office of the first lady is located, sources familiar with the plan told CNN.

One for the record books.

2. Wallabe, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

It's coming from their own pocket, which is money they've made from their business. It's their personal things that may make it feel more at home for them. Ivanka has had experience being responsible for making deals through her father's business, I think she can handle some of the roles there.

I've read their books and their bios. All Trump's kids are very responsible and can handle themselves and their jobs professionally.

Don't trust CNN or any MSM news to write anything positive about Trump. If it seems so, it's a backhanded compliment.

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

And you have seen nothing yet... the corruption we'll see from the Trump administration, his family, friends and cabinet of idiots and kleptocrats... and the way they are going to screw america and the rest of the world - as per their admitted plans and beliefs... THAT WILL be truly insane.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Never ends........... cheeto Hitler has not even been confirmed.
    Anyways what's the problem?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    free workers. She will advise him on climate change among other things. Where is the problem?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/ivanka-trump-climate-czar-232031
    Seem like a liberal win

5. A.Goldberg, Dec 14, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

There was a thing on NPR a week or two about this when I was driving home from work.

Basically Melania doesn't want to fill the active role of First Lady in the historical sense of party planning, entertaining, and perusing some sort of charitable work/policy. The expectation was that Ivanka would fill this role.

It's my opinion, and some of the NPR voices, that in the 21st century a woman should be able to decide how much, if at all she involves herself with her husband's political role. This isn't the old days where woman are supposed to represent some sort of accessory to the husband (though I'm not sure Trump's motivation behind this marraige ;)).

They cited previous examples in American history where first daughters overtook the position of First Lady (I can't remember off the top of my head unfortunately). They also cited foreign countries where first spouses have zero public or political role (i.e. Angela Merkel's husband works as chemical engineer). There have been past POTUS candidates with wives with accomplished careers who stated they'd want to continue in their profession.

If Melania wants to stay home and be a mother, I commend her for doing so. It's possible their son has some personal issues that require parental attention. If she wanted to go off and run her own company or go (back?) to college I don't see a problem with that either. She didn't run for office, her husband did. She shouldn't have to fulfil some role that her husband or society expects.

I don't see this as a crazy Trump issue. This is simply respecting women's individuality in the modern era.

People need to stop looking at the world as being so black in white. There is such a polarity of Team Trump/Republicans vs Team Clinton/Democrats that neither side can identify or respect the good and bad on either side. And just because something is unconventional by historical standards does not mean it is wrong.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't have a problem with this. If she wants the job and Melania doesn't (I wouldn't) why not?

7. juanm, Dec 14, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

That she's not a scientist, let alone a climate scientist.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

NEither is trump and he's against it. He's daughter seems to believe it so it's a win for liberals

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Great, trillions and decades of effort rest on whether President Camacho listens to his unelected daughter, instead of how much he trusts pure science.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If she takes no salary. But on the other side - she runs her own business. And having her in such a role could be a conflict. We'll have to wait and see.

I have little to no concerns over the gender role issues. And while many might find it surprising, I believe those critical are not speaking to that specifically.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Massive potential conflict of interest. If Trump had a D behind his name the Rush Limbaugh's of the world would be going out of their mind. I used to think it was mostly liberals who were hypocritical but this election has proved conservatives are right up there in that regard. They hated that Obama was in permanent campaign mode, called him out for hardly ever having press conferences yet none of that seems to bother them with Trump. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

12. Strider64, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I really don't see what the big deal this is? I remember when Slick Willie was President that Hillary thought the White House furniture was her own personal property (The White House belongs to the public, the President and the President's family are just tenants) and even took some of the furniture home with her when hubby left office. Hillary was fined $200,000 (I believe that was the amount) for this little indiscretion. Yet you never saw CNN or NBC making a big deal out of that. They may have by buried it on their website.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They made a big deal out it for months.

14. A.Goldberg, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure why it really matters who is serving as "first lady". Clearly Melania does not ant to fill the position. Ivanka probably makes the most sense. I'm sure it's paving the way for her political career was well.

From Wikipedia:
    Other examples:
    http://www.firstladies.org/blog/fir...residents-the-other-women-of-the-white-house/

Definitely sounds like one for the record books.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You missed my point. I don't have so much of a problem of her taking Melania's place in regards to familial roles. I do have the issue of business and politics here. Or did you miss that whole thing?

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well trump has seemed to want her in that role since she was little.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

What if the president were single? There is no job description for "first lady." It's a title. Every first lady has done what she chose to do. If Melania wants to play stay at home mom, she's more than welcome to do it (as long as she understands that home where she stays is the White House).

There is no need to bring in someone else. The president has a full staff who can plan parties. Bottom line, there is no reason for Ivanka to go to Washington unless she or her father feels that he is incapable of doing the job without family help.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

She is going to have to divest herself if that's the roll she takes. Since he's not going to separate himself fully from his businesses his sons are going to have to deal with the business. Personally I'm willing to give a bit on her since she seems rational and level headed she'd probably council some of the extreme out of him.

If I were the pres I'd want both my wife and kid near me since they wouldn't be awed by me or the office they're really the only people I'd trust to give me their opinions straight, that's probably what he wants her for.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Sorry I thought you were complaining about where her desk was going to be.

In terms of the Ivanka working for the Trump company that appears to be off the table according to the article you have posted. There is a precident for non-wives serving in the first woman capacity.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

First - she has to not take a salary - otherwise it's an issue of nepotism. And it's not allowed.
    Second - she has her own business - so I still see a potential conflict - even if it's not one of Trump's own brands.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Conflict how?

22. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

With all due respect to you guys (USA citizens), but this sounds a lot like the kleptocrats we are used to in México, the politic class that is used to profit personally from the government's money. It sounds like the people from the PRI (institutional revolutionary party) and their business magnates friends.

I'm really sorry for you (I've been sorry for my country for several decades now).

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You're seriously asking that question?

Her business is global. You don't think that her having the President's ear in an official capacity is a conflict of interest? Is she planning on removing her self completely from her business? It didn't sound like it thus far.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The US is like Mexico in another regard. 2 crap houses are the leaders here , Mexico has P.A.N & P.R.I, Clinton sold positions for money
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    You mean she could be like Clinton and take money and donations in exchange for a meeting with the president ?

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Kinda like when President Kennedy appointed his little brother to be attorney general?