"the internet is killing our culture"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shecky, Aug 17, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

just watched an interview with Andrew Keen about his new book the cult of the amateur on, of all places, the colbert report (link to video on Keen's blog). his basic premise is that with anyone writing anything they want and stealing anything they want via the internet that our culture of good art, good journalism, etc. is getting diluted by thieves and crap.

worth a watch - im wondering what people think about it.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've not yet watched it(I'm planning on it)

But, it seems foolish to ignore the massive amount of culture the internet had spread. There are things I'd never see with out the internet, tons of which is art, and increases our culture

3. Winterfell macrumors regular

Bleh, it's sensational ranting I say. Things change. With every big change comes those who think it will forever destroy a their "culture." It doesn't, it just changes.

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

all cultures evolve. i think it's a good thing.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He's ranting about the internet? Has he seen television lately???

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I saw this nonsense earlier tonight: art hasn't died because the internet killed it with piracy or whatever, could it be that most new "art" in the form of music is just plain rubbish? It's like saying reality tv single handedly destroyed humanity... people had been corrupted BEFORE the shows aired, otherwise there would be no reason for the characters' traits existing!

I agree that the internet is loaded with people that are not wise to say the least, but it is the lack of Big Media's creativity for years that has made people search for that which is new and cause the death of culture, as he puts it, not people watching YouTube.. In fact the internet HELPS media worth watching by creating another outlet for discovery and creation of possible viewers/buyers of the products.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have yet to watch it, or read his book. But, if his basic premise is indeed claiming good journalism is under fire by Internet amateurs, he will have a difficult time convincing me.

The Fourth Estate sold its soul to shareholders long ago. A term we once used was an 'independent press'. The term was coined when the written word was all there was. Now, it also includes all of the various media forms. How can the press be 'independent' when CEOs make 7 digit salaries, based on profits? They cannot.

There are few news sources which do the tough job of investigative reporting. However, to me what is most alarming is the omission of news.

1) Media outlets purposely ignore critically important stories
    2) When they cannot do that, they bury them deep inside
    3) When all else fails, they spin the story, rather than report it

When these things happen, the citizen has lost the final line of defense for truth and honesty. One would expect this from FOX, the Weekly Standard and the National Review. But, now you also see it from sources which were once respected; NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, etc. So, what is left for the citizens? The Internet.

Maybe the people who post here are not the most gifted writers. Who cares? I have a large library of literary classics, if that is what I am interested in. But, I also need a place to get the information I am being denied.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

or actually read newspapers ?

where 80% of the articles across newspapers are straight copies from AP or Reuters articles and 10% stolen from wikipedia (happens regulary with our newspaper) and the remaining 10% are actual self written articles (most likely: local sports)

the internet creates so much culture it's not even funny
    sure a lot of crap included but crap art/journalism isn't limited to the internet

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

amazingly well stated

i used to love anything i saw on tv concerning "the law", then in the first day of law school the dean said 99% percent of that would get you disbarred :)

i have heard people say that the internet is the portal for disinformation, but then what is tv? sheesh.

i think i better just cancel my internet and go watch reruns of "the real world" :)

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

SMM's got my views covered, at least from a journalism point of view. I haven't seen or read anything by the guy myself, but I'll just comment on concept as the OP stated it.

The Internet isn't diluting culture, it's exposing it. Culture is the expression of the values and talents of a society. The Media are all one way pipes going the wrong way. Whether it's TV, newspapers, radio or CDs, they're all representing a relatively small group of people delivering their view of art and culture to the masses.

The Internet provides a pipe that flows in both directions, letting the society express itself. Throughout history there have been good artists and bad, and the good sticks around. We'll see the same with art now. We'll see cultural trends picked up by individuals and copied and modified and evolved, just as cultural trends used to tear through the art and literature worlds in the past-- it's just faster now.

The one place where the Internet dilutes culture is by mixing so many cultures in one place. You can go online and get instant culture clash as people from different countries (or even parts of one country) encounter each other. There's always been some mixing of cultures, you can see traces of it in language such as the introduction of French vocabulary into English, but it's always been throttled by travel limitations forcing a "when in Rome" mentality and leaving local cultures largely intact. The sheer quantity of people on line will start to override that. We're already seeing English dominate as the lingua franca of the Internet and now other aspects of life, and language is probably one of the most important cultural vessels.

But even this isn't dilution of culture by amateurs. This is dilution by exposure, and the merging and joining and reshaping of culture. This has always happened by war and commerce, and now it's just happening faster.

What I think we'll start to see is "sub-cultures" spring up on the 'net, not defined by geography but by interest. Again language is an indicator-- different internet groups tend to develop their own dialects, such as "teh snappy".

So no, the internet isn't diluting culture, it's evolving it as any communication medium does. The world has been commenting on how Hollywood has been affecting local culture around the world, hip-hop has done the same. The telephone made it possible for people to stay in touch with cultures across the world, and so has satellite television. Things aren't getting worse, they're getting different.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If the MSM was doing it's job, those on the 'net wouldn't have to.