The Internet: Trump wants to look into “closing it up”

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by localoid, Dec 9, 2015.

1. localoid, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

At a campaign event on Monday night, the GOP presidential frontrunner said ISIS terrorists are recruiting people online, especially "kids watching the Internet" who "want to be masterminds."

The presidential hopeful said that “We’ve got to maybe do something with the internet,” because it was being used to radicalise people. He said that he would “see Bill Gates” so that he could look into “closing it up”.

"We're losing a lot of people because of the internet," Trump said. "We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening.

“We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some ways. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

Donald Trump wants to ban the internet, will ask Bill Gates to ‘close it up’

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He's not the only one talking about using the tech companies and minds to help reign in the ability for the terrorists to use Social Media. Hillary has a similar idea she pushed a few weeks back.

I know our people likely use social media to monitor and track them but there is also some truth to the fact that ween need to stop them from freely exploiting such systems. Not unlike anything else, that's what they do, look for weaknesses.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

I cannot wait to see how this thread morphs...

4. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

So getting Bill Gates to close the Internet would be a good thing, you're saying?

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Trump should just stop speaking. What an idiot.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So I wonder how this will go. After all the horrible things he has said, will the internet be the tipping point for Trump supporters?

OR

Are you about to demonstrate your love for the internet more than your fellow man?

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I really don't understand how you got that from my post? I also can't believe so many here continue to try and insert words when people post.

First, I pay little mind to Trumps comments and certainly don't interpret them so literally. I think I was pretty clear on my post above as to what I think.

I do think it would be wise for some type of efforts be made to shut down the terrorist from using twitter, facebook and other popular social media sites. It's no different than cutting off their financial funding. Stopping them at the source is key. I would balance that however with the need and benefit of our monitoring of them however.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now if Trump could get the Kardashians off the internet. I would be a very happybunny.;)

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Maybe he should talk to Al Gore. After all.....

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Damn them pesky kids watching the internets.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

About as good as Hillary's backdoor being wide open.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Hillary's back door being wide open is such a bad visual on so many different levels.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

And while we are talking about silly things why don't we just put backdoors into all the crypto cyphers used so we can monitor potential terrorist activity. Wouldn't want terrorist to be able to use iMessage to coordinate attacks without us being able to intercept and break the encryption...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes Donald. Bill Gates can singlehandedly shut down the internet.

****ing *******.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I think Hilary's backdoor, front door and attic window had been shut tight for a long, long time.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

@Eraserhead This is what I was talking about in the other thread Clinton wants backdoors which is sneaky Trump wants to shut-er down bombastic. Same goal two different ways

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I really do believe you are terribly wrong. IMO if you want to stop Donald Trump Winning, let him TALK and TALK a lot.
    The more he says the more everybody will see what he stands for, or doesn't.

If you deny him a voice it will only look like you are frightened of what he is saying.

18. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

What the **** is wrong with people in this country, they vote for an ******* that WILL ruin the entire ****ing country... jeez.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Are you referring to Hillary or Trump?

20. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Trump

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wow, now Trump is stealing Hillary Clinton's policies.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Hillary and her backdoors are okay then?

23. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I don't know that much regarding that. I'm specifically mentioning the fact that there's a candidate that claims he wants to close the entire Internet. If that isn't an evil statement, I don't know what is.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So you're into Hillary's backdoor? Would you hop on that train?

25. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Read what I said, I said "I don't know that much regarding that", referring to Hillary's backdoors or whatever. I'm just saying that Trump is a dick for saying such things (closing the Internet).