The internet war on Scientology.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Airforce, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The clip is a little weird.

I hope that whoever put it on you tube either has deep pockets or was extremely careful in posting it. $cientology has deep pockets and spares nothing in suppressing those who dare to disagree.

It's a creepy cult set up to milk its followers of a maximum amount of money. The sooner the US stops pandering to religious extremists the better.

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Ugg:

More-or-less I'll agree with most of what you said. However, I think you are off on one point.

It's not that the U.S. Government needs to stop pandering to religious extremists (which is not to say religious extremism is a good thing, in fact it's quite the opposite), but the U.S. Government needs to stop pandering to cults and giving them the same status and legitimacy as an actual religion.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Scientology being run to ground, and it's leaders and infrastructure people arrested and tried on criminal charges. You never know, stranger things have happened before.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

That's their "motto" or declaration of war or whatever.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But can you define the difference? Isn't it simply a question of size?

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Such as come up with a convincing differentiation between scientologists and say, mormons.

Just because one has been around longer than the other doesn't mean it automatically should be more legitimate than the other.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The second Dictionary.app definition:
    So yeah, size is basically the difference.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Get rid of the mention of size in the definition, and cult and religion are synonymous.

10. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I thought that video is pretty wicked, in a good way. The computer voice and the clouds going by. Make the hairs on the back of neck stand up. Well done from an aesthetic view point.

On the other hand, if you think about it, this is similar to terrorism is it not? Although I've never considered Scientology something of value, they have a right to exist just like every other cult following or religion. In 200 years, who knows, there may be a billion followers. People didn't much like Christianity when it first came about did they?

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I think you missed something there. Note the qualification at the end. That's how I would define the difference.

Atheism, though I completely oppose it, is not a cult in my view. Misguided and eventually leading it's members to damnation, but not "strange or sinister".

Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, Islam, etc., none of which I would regard as "strange or sinister". (This, of course, excludes the group presently described as "radical Islam", which I do regard as a cult.

Judaism - Followers believe in God, but not in Jesus, and are still looking for their Messiah. Misguided a bit, perhaps, a bit too orthodox in certain respects for even common sense, but I respect them and their devotion to God. Even though their distant ancestors persecuted my distant ancestors, I hold the current generation no malice and don't regard them as a cult.

Catholicism - Has had some fairly destructive tendencies over the centuries, and arguably is one of the major sources of people "turning atheist", but even all of that notwithstanding I still don't view them as a cult.

Branch Dividians, Scientologists (naturally), KKK, and others - definitely cults, the whole lot of them.

And actually, if you want to try and argue that "it's all about size" (and do try and keep your pathetic little minds out of the gutter for a second! :p ) Scientology is fairly huge, is extremely well-heeled, and has members across the planet. Clearly it's too large to be defined as a "cult" based on lack of size. But it's still a cult, none-the-less.

Christianity is not about the domination of people, nor about the tyrannizing of it's members, nor anyone else. Christianity does not try and hurt or harm anyone. Arguably, neither did Judaism before it. Christianity is not about trying to suck every last dime out of every single last of it's parishioners, nor giving them brain-washing "audits", nor denying them the benefit of psychologists and psychiatrists (regardless of their own personal religious background) nor anything else.

Have there been whack-jobs in it's midst over the years? Have there been crackpots? Sure. So what? There's been crackpots and nutjobs and all sorts of things in the midst of Star Trek fandom, the computer world, and on and on. It's hardly logical to come to the conclusion that society is all bad because any one of it's members is a deviant. Use your head and think. Analyze. Use your critical thinking skills. C'mon, I know you can.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Live and let live. I don't like this idea of sorting the religions from the cults--who is doing the sorting? The thing to do is to crack down legally on any religion or cult that violates the law egregiously (in some way that really exceeds the tolerable level of religious practice) and keep free speech free so that those who feel the need to call out whatever legal practices they find offensive can do so.

The answer to most questions of discussion and difference of opinion is more speech, not less.

14. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Every single person that has ever lived is born atheist. They are "turned" religious as a byproduct of their culture and upbringing. We all start out atheist.

15. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Actual religion? I find the backstory of Scientology not only more interesting than Christianity (c'mon, Xenu? That's awesome.), but almost as factually accurate.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The backstory of Scientology was designed specifically to mimic that of accepted religions. There's nothing so wacky as mainstream religion.

17. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Love thy neighbour, Jesus said.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See the inherent contradiction? To pass atheists off as misguided is utterly laughable.

You clearly don't even know your history.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You describe others as destined for damnation, while at the same time denying your cult the sobriquets of "strange" and "sinister"? I'm impressed.

Atheism is simply a refusal to believe in utter hogwash. What could be misguided about that?

What the gehenna are you talking about? Which "distant ancestors" of yours were ever persecuted by Jews? We need to know.

The very fact that you can differentiate between the "destructive tendencies" of Catholicism and Protestantism with a straight face is utterly ludicrous.

If it isn't about domination, then why is its leader called Dominus?
    It's about all of those things.
    This patronising attitude from someone so blind to their own prejudices is most revealing.

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

That's Catholic, isn't it?

21. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I did. Your religion, like all the others is an irrational cult. It's the duty of all honest people to seek to destroy it, much as they would seek to destroy any other theory of reality built on lies. No tolerance for lies, especially when they affect everyone else, as religions do (they just seem incapable of restraint in this respect).

I support these people going after Scientology. It's a wholly pernicious organization, founded by an insane pervert, which financially exploits its members (in other words, it's the same as most religions). Here's hoping that more of this sort of thing happens with other religions.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it's Latin. Anno Domini is cross-platform.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's a shame that nobody put an end to that cult before it went mainstream.

I know it might be hard for you Christians to do, but you're going to have to realize that both of these "religions" require exactly the same of their followers. They ask them to believe in a ridiculous creation story that has absolutely no real world proof, and base their entire faith on a book written by men that have no connection or evidence of the story of their religion.

Both religions are about power and money. The only difference is that one of these religions was created in a time when people know a great deal more about the world.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm deeply offended by all of you, whom I had once considered my friends. When you're in a car accident and I stop because I'm the only one who can really help, you'll change your tune.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uhhh.....what?