The iPad Air 2 is the best product, Apple has ever done.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EsbenJohnson, Jul 19, 2015.

1. EsbenJohnson macrumors member

I have had a lot of great tech products over the years, but the iPad Air 2 is special. It's different. It's so much better than the rest. I think I am in love with it, I treat it like i would a little baby - with care and happiness. Is there something wrong with me...

2. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I agree. The 2GB of ram really makes iOS 8 fly on it.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

You can't go wrong with a tri-core CPU, an eight cluster GPU, and 2GB of RAM, especially as the only iOS device with all of that!

4. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

i agree that its a brilliant device; the air 2, the iPhone 6, and the retina iMac are probably my 3 favourite apple devices that they've ever released. very polished, (and apart from a dodgy choice to go with AMD graphics in the iMac), flawless.
    Also very excited about the potential of the air 2 on ios9... the beta is extremely stable and we still have 2 months to go!

5. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I've owned a lot of Android devices over the years and the Air 2 is the first Apple device I've had since the original Mac almost 30 years ago and I must say that I am really impressed with it. Since I bought it I've rarely picked up any of my other devices other than my Note 4 phone.

6. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

I have felt this way too, best stand alone product from Apple.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Is it a great device? Absolutely
    The best Apple product ever? I don't know about that.
    Is there something wrong with you? Yes, because at the end of the day it's just a tool (or a toy in my opinion) that you need for whatever job you are doing.

8. EsbenJohnson thread starter macrumors member

It's not just a tool. No. Shame on you for calling it a toy! It's a product that makes live easier for us, just like cars. And everyone can have a crush on their car... It's the same with the iPad Air 2.

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

you know what DOESN"T make it the best device Apple has done?

The removal of the mute switch...

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

[​IMG]

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Just a little bit :)

12. Alith macrumors 6502

Agreed, it's patronising calling it a toy. Depending on which industry you work in, it's a capable, ultra-portable work tool and communication device. Mine goes to work with me every day and I pair it with an Apple bluetooth keyboard and Origami workstation. Even outside of work-specific apps there is a wealth of general purpose productivity apps that I use ever day. It also travels with me and gets masses of use at home as well with lifestyle and entertainment apps.

If someone can't make it work for them, then they have the wrong apps, or are in an industry that requires a more powerful, fully featured device. That doesn't make it a toy.

13. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I agree. They really got it right this time. Never wanted any laptops or desktops for 'heavy work,' because I just don't need them. Forget specs, there are loads of things that make it amazing.

You really think that tiny omission cancels out everything that is good about this?

14. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I have to admit that I've never seen iOS run as well as it does on the air 2. I think with the specs on it iOS is finally running as it should. I'm almost hesitant to update to iOS 9 in the fall because iOS 8 runs so flawlessly on the air 2.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's certainly the device with the most amount of vibration in the chassis and screen. They got that right, for sure.

Just don't use the speakers and it's a doozy. All good.

16. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Doesnt really bother me too much. Not denying that the issue exists, but is not that bad.

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I think iPhone is better as its more portable and useful. If I could only own one device it'd be an iPhone as the camera is so useful, as is iMessage and FaceTime. If it only did those 3 things it would be amazing but the fact it does more is crazy.

oh and yes you are weird to be in love with your iPad the way you are as attachment of any kind is self defeating

18. kingtj macrumors 68020

I have to admit, I find myself using my Air 2 on a daily basis. I can't say that about any of the previous iPads I've owned.

I don't know that it's "so much better than the rest" of Apple's products though? It's just a very good revision of a product they had a lot of time to refine. The extra RAM in it is a big help, but I also appreciate how thin they made it. You wouldn't think any of these tablets would be a big deal to carry around anyway, but the Air and Air 2 were the first ones light and thin enough so you really make almost no effort taking it with you. It's literally no more effort than carrying a regular hard-back book around, except it's thinner than most of them. You have to have the right case to protect it from getting dinged up, but my leather Kavaj case is ideal for it, IMO.

I also own a late 2013 Mac Pro desktop, and I consider it another excellent Apple product. But that said, the high price of one plus the typical need for expensive, external thunderbolt storage to go with it makes it a computer that many people can't afford or can't cost justify. I'm not exactly wealthy myself, so buying it was a big commitment for me. I don't regret it though, because like the iPad Air 2, I use it every single day. The combination of entertainment and useful work I get done with it easily justifies its expense in the absolute sense. (Obviously, people will make subjective arguments about just how much "equivalent" work/fun you could do with a computer costing less.... Whatever. I just know I have a Mac I can really be proud to own and which can handle anything I throw at it without an issue.)

19. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

don't get me wrong, I love the Air 2 but, the fact that they left it out (I use it ALL THE TIME) is huge for me.

20. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I disagree.

Its a good device (Maybe no2) but the iPhone 6+ is the best product apple has ever made.

21. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

It's a great device – I'm not sure I'd say it's the best ever, since other current devices compete with it; my late-2012 iMac has been my exemplary and trustworthy companion through many projects, for example. It's really great to stop and just remind yourself how much more ideal being a technology consumer is now than it was a decade ago, and appreciate all the principle-guided work that went into that.

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Pleeze! It's almost criminal how Apple hasn't put 2 gigs ram yet on their phone. When the new phone comes out later this year with 2 gb, all of you 6/6+ owners will feel pretty stupid for buying it.

23. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Not really... My wife destroyed her iPhone 4S and needed to upgrade ASAP. The 6S didn't exist so she bought the 6. It's a very nice and very fast phone. It smacks my 4S around like a child's rattle toy. I held off and am waiting for the "S" series because that's what I always do, she couldn't and I'm sure the 6S will one-up the 6, but not enough to feel "pretty stupid" for buying it.

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It does suck. Could have been more future proof if it had that extra gig.

25. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Well, the 6 runs acceptably, it's the 6+ which runs poorly by many accounts.

Me...I'll wait until the 6s before I get an iphone. (It will also replace my Ipod Nano as well. )