The iPad mini can't be the only product shown at this event

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pgiguere1, Oct 12, 2012.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yes, the original iPhone and iPad announcements had an event of their own. But they weren't just hardware announcements, they also showed new software and a new concept of device altogether.

Now with the iPad midi, neither the device concept nor the software will be new. We already know iOS 6 and all the iPad apps.

How could they fill an entire event just talking about new hardware, especially when it's a budget device with probably a lot in common with the iPad 2 (Resolution, SoC, cameras)?

I have a hard time believing they will just talk about how thin and light it is and run cheesy videos for 1-2 hours.

At the past iPhone 5 event, they talked about the iPhone 5, a device with more new hardware than the iPad mini, and still managed to show off iOS 6, introduce a new iPod touch, iPod nano and iTunes 11 in a single event.

At WWDC, they refreshed the whole MacBook lineup and introduced the rMBP and showed Mountain Lion and all its new features.

Do you think the iPad mini is really going to be the only topic of the event (other than the usual sales numbers bragging at the beginning)?

What else could there be to justify a whole event? New iMacs/ Mac minis? A 13" rMBP? A new full-size iPad? A new iWork? A completely new Mac desktop line? New iCloud features?

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think it will be the iPad Mini, new Mac Minis, new iMacs, and the new iTunes. Maybe Apple has something new to show off with iTunes 11, like their streaming service that has been rumored.

3. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

4. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

You have about 92 hours or so you can say that, then you are going to have to start saying, guess I was wrong about this, for the whole next week, and then you can post about how you are disappointed in the iPad Mini after they announce it until they start taking orders, then after it sells several million then first weekend, then you'll go into quiet mode for awhile until March or so when the next product is coming out and you think the Loop is wrong about when that is going to happen again.

At least that is what my Psychic Dog thinks is going to happen with you over the next 3 week.

5. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Did you miss Jim Dalrymple's "Yep."?

This guy Yeps every single Apple announcement event rumor that is right and has been 100% accurate for years. He has contacts inside Apple and Apple probably tell him themselves to issue that Yep just to build up hype.

He has also confirmed/denied hardware features of future Apple products before their announcement and again, 100% accuracy and probably controlled leaks from Apple to maintain expectations.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

New iTunes is guaranteed. I'm guessing updated iMacs as well. I think the 13 inch Retina MBP will be the other "spotlight" product, besides the iPad Mini.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

According to the International Bylaws of Product Keynotes from the Zurich Conference of 1928:

"If there are fewer products to introduce, keep it short."

Problem solved.

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

I think they will also announce the new iOS for ATV.

iPad mini (the remote for ATV)

and iTunes 11

9. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if the iPad Junior was the only hardware announcement. Apple, after all, like to keep things straightforward if at all possible and multiple products risks muddying the message, especially if they're only spec updates to existing products.

Not saying this is what will happen but I could see it making a lot of sense if the event was iPad Junior, iTunes 11 and maybe some new productivity apps. Most importantly though is the chance to set the message not just for this product but for iOS and the tablet space in general. Remember if the 23rd of October is the event date it's just three days before Windows 8 launches, expect Apple to be heavily on-message for iOS, iPhone sales, iPad success to date, benefits of Apple stores and the like. Ecosystem, not just devices, and the (probably implied) benefits of that versus Windows 8.

10. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

and then there will always be a troll who quotes people and starts arguments - like you

your Psychic Dog forgot to tell you that one

12. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

I'm not starting an argument, we have confirmation that the iPad Mini event is going to be Sept 23rd, from the guy who is right every time he posts about an Apple event, because they tell him what is actually happening. Yet still we have more then one person saying the iPad Mini isnt coming across every thread, its annoying for people to be implying that the loop isnt an accurate source (as many are) or that Jim is right only half the time, etc. If you don't want a iPad mini thats fine but their are millions who probably do, if you don't think Jim is right every single time, show us when he was wrong and if you still think that the iPad Mini doesnt exist and isnt coming out for Christmas and like to wager let me know. Because my free "The NCAA won't sanction Auburn for Cam Newton Pool" is in my backyard right now, and I'd love to put "The iPad Mini exists Hot Tub" right in the ground next to it in march when they redo the walkways.
    -Tig

13. SirAvila macrumors newbie

Seems very irrelevant by today's philosophy

14. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think the event could be heavy in iBooks news

15. Medic311, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

who is "you" that you refer to in your post? it certainly can't be me as i never questioned the event. i questioned your rant against someone who was expressing his opinion, taking it all the way to say that when the mini comes out you think it is people like him that will complain about it.

you took things too far, i gently tapped your shoulder letting you know to simmer down.

so simmer down

-medic

16. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

This.

17. 750920 Guest

This event may be a short one...because of location? Anyhow...I believe it will happen. Build it and they will come. Amazon in the news saying they make NO profits on their devices. That's just dumb business sense. I will pay!

t2

18. Zethca, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

Zethca macrumors regular

Apple can do whatever they want. Sometimes people lose sight of this. Regardless of the Mac speculation, if they want to do a 25 minute "intimate" event, they will. I'm happy to wait and see personally. Wouldn't rule out additional product refreshes though.

Sometimes people are really slow on this kind of thing. Or they enjoy championing contrarian opinions. I agree that the Mini event is about as close to confirmed as possible in the absence of an official invite. Part of the problem is that people feel betrayed/disappointed by previous rumors from less reliable sources (in this case, the investor claiming invites this week). They might conflate historical false alarms with rock solid info from the likes of ATD/WSJ/Dalrymple, whose records are effectively perfect regarding Apple announcements.

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'm stating a fact. Please cease with the personal insults. Now!

----------

When and if Apple makes an announcement it's real. Till then it's a rumor. Sorry, I deal in facts.

----------

No, If and when Apple announces an iPad mini, I will still be right. At this point in time, the iPad mini is a rumor. It's just a fact. I know, you're depending on this gadget being real, and I hope for your sake it is. But today. The facts are clear. It's a rumor. Good luck. I hope you get the gadget you need to make your life worthwhile.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and maybe education oriented. Apple my try and position the Mini as the New Apple II.

21. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian