The ipad will have 128gb by June/July. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Because the touches will have, because the new toshiba 64gb chip is already in manufacture, and the touch will use two of these, as the ipad will, instead of two 32gb ones they use now.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because the touches will have, because the new toshiba 64gb chip is already in manufacture, and the touch will use two of these, as the ipad will, instead of two 32gb ones they use now.
Or if Apple follows its typical pattern - 128gb will be available in the 2nd generation of iPads about 6 months to a year after the first one is released.

Just because they can or have new chips doesn't mean Apple will throw them into a device immediately..

amammad

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Just because they can or have new chips doesn't mean Apple will throw them into a device immediately..
Precisely. The cost of these chips will be prohibitively high to meet their profit margins initially too.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Precisely. The cost of these chips will be prohibitively high to meet their profit margins initially too.
Boys I am sorry to say this but you don't know what you are talking about. Less conviction on what you are saying would be appreciated.

If they release them in July, that isn't throwing them in the device "immediately", it's four months after product launch.

And no you are wrong, the cost won't be too high, their cost will be as per bulk agreements with Toshiba for millions and millions of iphones, touches and ipads, and if it is more expensive than the previous gen it will probably be a small fraction.

Expect to see these very soon, around the new iphone launch date. Apple is not going to go, hey look we doubled the flash in our iphones, ipods but left the ipad at paltry 16gb. What some of you boys here don't understand is that another ipad sold is for apple another opportunity to keep making money via their cut on the items (books/music/newspapers/apps) sold via the ipad.

And they are well aware that 16gb is restrictive to the point of being almost a joke. As soon as the can they will double that, and this will be with the new iphones released.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Boys I am sorry to say this but you don't know what you are talking about. Less conviction on what you are saying would be appreciated.
Haha, ironic statement of the day given your presumptuous original post, I think.

Yeah, the iPad will be 128 GB by June because of all those reasons. Without any shred of doubt.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

If they release them in July, that isn't throwing them in the device "immediately", it's four months after product launch.

And no you are wrong, the cost won't be too high, their cost will be as per bulk agreements with Toshiba for millions and millions of iphones, touches and ipads, and if it is more expensive than the previous gen it will probably be a small fraction.

Expect to see these very soon, around the new iphone launch date. Apple is not going to go, hey look we doubled the flash in our iphones, ipods but left the ipad at paltry 16gb. What some of you boys here don't understand is that another ipad sold is for apple another opportunity to keep making money via their cut on the items (books/music/newspapers/apps) sold via the ipad.

And they are well aware that 16gb is restrictive to the point of being almost a joke. As soon as the can they will double that, and this will be with the new iphones released.
First "AppleSuperGeek" - don't refer to us as boys. Don't condescend. There's no need for it.

If you are truly a "AppleSuperGeek" you'd look at the history of refreshes/new devices and realize that with the iPhone and iPods - new models aren't released a few months after a big launch.

And 16G is probably more than a TON of iPad users will ever need. If you think otherwise, you need a reality check. Will they be "sold" on more than they would ever need - sure. No home user NEEDS a 12 megapixel camera if they just shoot pictures they want 4x6" prints and to post on the web. But they don't remotely need something so big.

Perhaps you should learn company history before you start spewing what YOU consider facts or justifications.

itsMrLuke

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Cardiff

To be fair, I think it's a little harsh to be telling people they don't know what they're talking about in a Topic based on pure speculation.

Personally I don't think they'd release a new model with more storage so soon after launch. Apple know they will sell iPads, and they also know the majority of people who buy Apple products know when they are likely to release a refresh of a product. At the earliest I think a November release of a 128gb version could happen to push Christmas sales.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Haha, ironic statement of the day given your presumptuous original post, I think.

Yeah, the iPad will be 128 GB by June because of all those reasons. Without any shred of doubt.
You are the guy that is so far out of reality that said that 50% of the web runs on flash, and the ipad can't display. This is so ridiculous it blows my mind. Please don't post in my threads, and a big WELCOME to my ignore list!:cool:

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
To be fair, I think it's a little harsh to be telling people they don't know what they're talking about in a Topic based on pure speculation.

Personally I don't think they'd release a new model with more storage so soon after launch. Apple know they will sell iPads, and they also know the majority of people who buy Apple products know when they are likely to release a refresh of a product. At the earliest I think a November release of a 128gb version could happen to push Christmas sales.
They talked though with such conviction without any arguments. Sure it is speculation, but speculation can be baseless or with arguments.

Mark my words boys, apple wants this to be a big success, not save a few dimes on the side, as soon as the rest of the line up get these chips, they ipad will too. it might not be June I admit, but it could be July, August or September (which falls in nicely with the 7 month frame too).

First "AppleSuperGeek" - don't refer to us as boys. Don't condescend. There's no need for it.
Sorry I didn't presuppose you were actually boys literally, I meant it in a chummy way, 40 year old men may refer to each other as boys thus.

Babybandit

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008

Actually, it is 'that much more expensive', The reason is simple, The ability to compress and cramp it there, isn't simple. There is a reason current generation SSDs above 128GB is so expensive and rare - because the price of 16 16GB Flash Chips are almost Triple the price of 16 8GB Flash Chips - yet the difference in storage is double. Of course, even if you subtract the manufacturing and patent, technology cost - it's still much higher (as they are the same for both).

It doesn't matter if they buy in bulk, it's the technology to make those chips. In order to condense more memory in a chip of the same size, machinery has to be more precise, more powerful, smaller - and this costs money. So even if there's a deal for 'a lot' of higher storage Flash Chips (And to think they'd only spend it on two, three products).

I'm sorry, but you need your facts checked. Gizmodo recently had a post on Flash Cost - and it explicitly shows this increase in Flash Cost. Unfortunately, it's not a straight line graph,

In addition, 'hey look we doubled the flash in our iphones, ipods but left the ipad at paltry 16gb.', the iPad is not stuck at a paltry 16GB, but at 64GB. In the same token, Apple doubled the iPod Touch's flash memory in September of last year to 64GB, but kept the iPhone's Flash memory at 32GB.
'If they release them in July, that isn't throwing them in the device "immediately", it's four months after product launch. ' - That is a very short time in the world of manufacturing, and to stop the manufacturing process and even change it slightly - is considered expensive if there's no reason to do it.

Four months is short, and shorter than any other Apple has recently done. The shortest RECENTLY - is the iPod Shuffle, which debuted in it's all new look March 09, with a color change in September, with the other iPods.

Maybe there's be a chance in September for the Flash to double with the iPod Touch - but I highly doubt so, and the reasons you have given aren't completely legitimate.
In addition, they aren't selling the hardware to sell content (like Amazon is), they are selling content to sell hardware. They have the iTunes Store and App Store (iBook Store) to sell iPods, iPhones and now iPads. The iTunes / iPad store never made much money, most of it went into server costs and other maintenance cost. Apple is basically the middleman between the Media and the User, and Apple isn't going to go into the business of making money of Media... Because their current strategy has worked well for them... And that is using Media to create a purpose for the device.

I hope you can give me some Arguments rather than baseless Speculations :).

Thanks.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Hi AppleSuperGeek.

You seem like a cool boy. Where do you get all your super inside info?

Please don't add me to the ignore list. I would definitely be upset!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
June/July 2010 doubtful.

Nov/Dec 2010 maybe, March 2011 likely.

Apple enjoys it's profits to much to release a product in late March and 4 months later double the memory adding cost and knowing they won't be raising the prices. History of Apple launches is pretty clear they add features and either keep the same price, or reduce the price. I think it would have an outside chance of making it to market before the holiday's 2010 but I don't see it coming so soon after launch.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
There is absolutely no chance the iPad sees a storage bump until at earliest September or October and even that is unlikely.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
I love this statement and it is very, very true.

Too many folks say everything so "matter of fact" and with so much conviction.
not only that, but most of the iPad forum is full of conjecture, since the thing isn't even on the market yet. Look at it this way--this forum is more entertainment than it is a fountain of information. To think otherwise is, well, lunacy. I don't say that in a mean way.

Once it is released, the balance will tip towards "fact". There will still be plenty of opinion, but actual USE of the product will bring forth some concrete observations of the device, it's capabilities and shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.