All iPads The iPads need more exclusive software features that take advantage of its size

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Noble Actual, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Noble Actual, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Edit: People didn't like the word boring, I'm a troll, blah blah blah. I changed the title but couldn't even finish it.

Back during the iPad 1 and iPad 2, the iPads offered a unique experience. They didn't feel like just really bigger iPhones. I think part of that was due to apps being designed differently when Jobs and Forstall were still at Apple.

Now with iOS 7 and 8, they all look the same and all function the same. Especially with the 6+, I see a lot of users saying they will ditch the iPad Mini.

I just don't see the iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3 upgrades being that big.

-Touch ID
    -A8 chip
    -Wi-Fi 802.11ac
    -Expanded LTE
    -New FaceTime HD camera

-2GB RAM (maybe? probably not)
    -Better iSight camera (maybe? probably not)
    -Retina HD display (nope)

I mean its good for people upgrading from an iPad 2 or iPad 3 but these small hardware features just aren't as exciting as before. The screen is already really good, the speed is already super fast, and its already crazy light.

I think the next big advancements in iPads will come in software. The 7.9" and 9.7" can provide unique experience that are different from the iPhone. Here's two examples:

Split Screen Multitasking
    2-3 apps running at the same time (25%, 50%, 75% sizes). Would probably need at least 2GB of RAM. I can't really see this year iPads have upgraded RAM but definitely next year. It seems Apple is saving this feature for future iPads (iPad Pro).

FaceTime Group Chat
    Would like being able to do group chats with FaceTime. I think FaceTime was originally meant for 1 to 1 video calling. If you could divide the iPad screen into rectangles, it would still be big enough to view everyone faces while the iPhones would be too small. Businesses, students, families, I can see many different groups of people using this.

I would immediately upgrade to the new iPads if they had these. I like more powerful chips and faster wi-fi and lighter devices but I'm more excited about software features that would work well on the iPad.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's called a mature product plus you have market saturation so the iPad is no longer the only game in town. There are many choices for tablets these days and Apple can only do so much with the overall design of the iPad beside spec bumps. Which is why iPad sales and tablets overall have seen a decline in sales.

3. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Do you feel better now that you've vented about iPads? You can always go out and buy a Galaxy.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The title of your thread rubbed me the wrong way (boring? These are products to be used, not some sort of entertainment) but I get what you're saying and largely agree. The iPads have untapped potential at this point. While the iPads have some unique features (split keyboard, landscape home screen, apps that show more compared to the iPhone variants) it's pretty evident that Apple designs iOS around the iPhones.

I'd be happy with TouchID and a faster processor on the iPads. I'd be thrilled if an active digitizer (for non-fat tip stylus support) were added. As for the rest... I'm fine with the way things are, but I'd be excited if Apple found some way to make the iPads even more useful. It will probably happen some day. The iPhones are a huge part of their business, though, and thus it's understandable that they get the majority of development focus.

5. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

You didn't even read the actual post did you.

6. chupachup macrumors 6502

An iPad is between a phone and a full laptop. Some people just want a big phone. Some people want to replace their laptop and not deal with a desktop OS.

Can we wait another month to start criticizing?

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

while we think the ipads are mature, i think tim cook said they were still in their infancy.

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I am sure, you definitely felt better saying that! :p

I felt better reading OP's post.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68000

would love to see an NFC chip.

but not likely going to happen this year, since its too big for payments and they dont seem to have implemented any other features yet. maybe next year, if they add some NFC APIs for developers.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

iPads, unlike iPhones, are in nature a product that do not get replaced as often. That's why recent Apple reports show not as many iPads being sold.

I don't think iPads have gotten boring, but there's only so much evolution that could happen between each gen. I'm still on my iPad mini first gen. Probably won't upgrade until the 4th gen mini. Doesn't mean they're boring, just that a average individuals need to upgrade an iPad isn't as often as an iPhone.

11. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

I agree that the ipad has become boring. That's why I am hoping for an ipad pro. I'd be interested in a stylus and whatever else they'd do to make it more "professional", other than a bigger screen. I just got the iphone 6+ and it's large enough that I feel that the ipad mini is a bit less important than it was before. I have the surface pro 3 and and love it. I'd also love to have an ipad pro to go along with the sp3.

However, apple won't do anything innovative with the ipad again just yet. Their sales are just too big with the small bumps they make every year. And nobody in the tablet category is making them nervous. So for now, just expect touch id (isn't accurate 40% of the time for me, a spec bump in processor, and the usual 1 gig of ram)

12. Padmini macrumors 6502a

The iPad has gotten boring.

2 GB of RAM should do it.

:rolleyes: Just leave, please.

13. AppleAlexander macrumors newbie

Not boring

Perhaps not boring you could use one to learn English. The English language has never had in it the word "gotten"

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not sure if the word boring is being used correctly here. Maybe you mean the introduction of subsequent generations has become boring but that's because the product is well established and there's only so much new stuff you can cram in there.

Boring though? I'm stil having a blast playing Hearthstone, reading comics, reading news feeds, playing hidden object games, working on some documents, etc, etc.

Nothing boring about it. :D

15. omni macrumors 6502

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gotten

Learn to troll better - aka if you are going to criticize someone on their grammar, make sure you use a full stop.

16. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, it was fun while it lasted.

I actually used that title and word 'boring' knowing that it would piss people off. It was more of an attention grabber. I knew if I just asked what future iPads should have it would just be 2GB RAM.

I just wanted to see who would actually read the op instead of just assuming I hated iPads or wanted more RAM or wanted to buy a Galaxy Tab Note 5 thing.

17. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

Pushing buttons, like using "boring", is by definition what a troll does. So, you just admitted to that. Well, Ok then.

18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I completely agree with the OP, except I don't really have a problem with it.

The iPad is not Apple's flagship device. That's the iPhone, even though it's not quite as powerful. Like the iMac compared to the Retina MBP. For that reason, the iPad is unlikely to ever get something new and exciting, because the iPhone will have received it first.

Secondly, the iPhone is supposed to be a do-everything device. The iPad is not. That is why the iPhone gets the fantastic camera, NFC, and can make phone calls. And that's why it's so damn expensive, even though you're still getting less 'device'.

After all that, I don't really mind. It's like the new MBPs every year. Everyone's always hoping for some killer new feature, and every year they are disappointed. But it doesn't matter, because it does everything it needs to. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

That said, one killer feature that I am half expecting is for the new iPads to be fully compatible with the iWatch. That would be cool.

19. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, you just called me a troll.

Ok, I don't care.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

iPads in terms of annual changes are more similar to computers/laptops than they are smartphones. As such the year to year changes are going to be mostly spec related. Do people expect major changes to make them upgrade their laptops every year? iPads are the same way.

21. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

I always thought the larger the device the longer their cycle lasts.

Something like:

iPhone - every 1-2 years
    iPad - every 3-4 years
    MacBook - every 5-6 years

----------

Just because the iPad isn't the flagship doesn't mean Apple should not focus on it.

iPhone does things really well for what it can do.

iPad does things really well but it can be done better.

Just because the iPhone can only chat 1 with other person on FaceTime doesn't mean the iPad can't do more.

22. thetruest macrumors regular

i think a big upgrade u missed is a better screen with improved glare. There is just way too much glare on the air, and for anyone that has an iphone 5/5s or rMBP the difference in screen quality is also noticeable. Its not the same manufactured screens.

its the upgrade im most lookin forward to as its gotten to the point where i would just rather use my other devices in most situations. The glare is obnoxious when tryin to use it out of the home in different lightin environments where i believe the ipad is at its best.

That said, i think 1 important point that you illuminated: forestall and Jobs are no longer at the company. Jobs (an art major) was ALWAYS more concerned with software and creativity than hardware, and i think his fixation with the tablet was rooted in all the types of software, creative/innovative, and generaly nice things u might be able to do to feel involved with it. Forestall im sure fostered this idea. that it would provide an engrossing and unique experience.

This isnt particular to the ipad but to illustrate a point: Just compare the older podcasts app with the newer. The older one was infinitely more charming on the ipad, and probably more importantly - more culturally/artistically significant. The extra space gave the ability to showcase a reel to reel and make somone feel invited and curious by the way audio art was/is recorded, maybe even inspired. The new look of the podcasts app is just futury uninspired consumer drivel devoid of any semblance of a soul

23. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

As useful as the ipad is --I never found a compelling tech product. It isn't beautiful like a unibody aluminum mba or mbp. It lacks any wow factor like the surface pro pen. And the whole retina thing did not impress me or excite me at all. The novelty of a touch interface was completely exhausted by 2010. End of the day--its a big phone that is an awesome web reader, ereader and video viewer. I wouldnt be without one--but I am not in a hurry to upgrade either.

24. thetruest macrumors regular

u should change back the title, u got more replies

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

IMO, the iPad is fine from a hardware perspective. What I feel it really needs are apps totally reimagined for a touchscreen. Something like photoshop or logic cut optimised for a tablet. Or even something as elementary as a better way of editing a spreadsheet (or even a better spreadsheet template). Right now, many tablet apps feel like phone apps with an extra menu bar on the left-hand side.