Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
People are crying about just a little upgrade this year and what is so pro about this device, it’s just a refresh, same screen, blah blah blah.

What smart phone has a screen that is 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio? - only 11 pro
What smart phone is capable of 1200 Nita peak brightness? - only 11 pro
What smart phone is as water resistant at the 11 pro? (4 meters for 30 min?) - only 11 pro
What smart phone can record 4K 60fps with HDR? - only 11 pro
We’ll have to wait and see what the A13 chip can due but I’m fairly confident it’s the most powerful chip in any smart phone out to date
Ok triple camera systems are being used by a lot of smart phones. But I also fairly believe this will be the best camera set up in a smart phone to date. Even probably taking the pixels crown.

What’s not pro about this device? I think apple truly made the best smart phone on the planet with the 11 pro. Of course little features might be missing but people are not giving credit where credit is due.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
The meaningless naming aside, we just need to look how close it is to the normal iPhone 11 and at the iPad Pro to find out what exactly a "pro" machine should at least be. For roughly about the same price as the 64GB 11 Pro, you get can get an 11-inch cellular iPad Pro with 256GB storage with USB-C. You get a big screen with ProMotion and pencil compatibility, ample storage to work projects on, USB-C to share dongles and peripherals with your MacBook Pro/iMac.

I see the need for a naming convention to split the normal 11 from the higher end machines, but this year's 11 Pro/Max is at best an iPhone 11+. The 11 does almost everything the 11 Pro does except for the 52mm lens and the screen. For the additional price, it could have been a lot closer to the iPad Pro, but it's a lot closer to the iPhone 11 instead.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I agree. I think it will be an extremely impressive upgrade from the Xs (Max) in key areas, such as display, camera, and battery life aka, what people truly care about. I don't think people are giving it due credit yet, but they hopefully will once the photos and videos demonstrate it.

For me, if the 5 hour claim holds up it's an immediate upgrade. The camera features are very welcome too, but overall machine learning and industry-leading performance are the key tenants of this generation.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
People are crying about just a little upgrade this year and what is so pro about this device, it’s just a refresh, same screen, blah blah blah.

What smart phone is as water resistant at the 11 pro? (4 meters for 30 min?) - only 11 pro
We’ll have to wait and see what the A13 chip can due but I’m fairly confident it’s the most powerful chip in any smart phone out to date
Ok triple camera systems are being used by a lot of smart phones. But I also fairly believe this will be the best camera set up in a smart phone to date. Even probably taking the pixels crown.

What’s not pro about this device? I think apple truly made the best smart phone on the planet with the 11 pro. Of course little features might be missing but people are not giving credit where credit is due.

Can it run AutoCad or Solidworks? No
Can it run Photoshop? No
Can it run FinalCut Pro or Adobe Premier? No
Can it run xCode or any programming environment? No

There is nothing Pro about this iPhone. By the way, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 pretty much do all of what you mentioned.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Can it run Photoshop? No

There is nothing Pro about this iPhone. By the way, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 pretty much do all of what you mentioned.

It is the Pro version of the iPhone 11. Meaning only that it is a better more premium device with more features. I mean, are you even serious right now?

Any modern computer could run any of those applications, but one computer could be a $300 dollar build and the other is a $8,000 dollar build. So are they both professional desktops in your eyes?

It is just marketing.. no one is talking **** about the PS4 Pro..

Reactions: Skoal

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
Can it run Photoshop? No

No smartphone does that stuff, you should get the Note 10, I am sure you will be happy with it...

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010

Which phone has a lighting port incompatible with the rest of the industry and that still works at usb2 speeds in 2019? (Argh. This should be replaced on all devices)
Which phone has an OS that only allows to execute one app per time on its huge screen? (including no support for pip videos).
Stylus support?
External screen support / desktop mode?

These to me are huge gaps compared to the competition, as these features are far more useful to productivity than screen contrast ratio (come on).
It’s a wonderful phone, hardware-wise (with the huge exception of that lightning port...), but software is behind. Not dramatically, but significantly.

Last edited:

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I updated two iPhone X devices and honestly keep coming back to the question “is it worth it?”

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Pro is a branding device to differentiate the premium line from the base product (iPhone 11) and that’s all.

Anyone genuinely believing they’re buying an inherently “pro” device is bound for disappointment. Especially when they bring in actual pro features like promotion and pencil support next year.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Remember people fussed over the naming of the iPad.

It's just how Apple names devices now. Pro for top shelf Apple kit, and not pro for what they deem as the baseline.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Samsung with the S10 line
S10 1215 nits, note 10+ 1308 nits

iPhone 11 Pro OLED screen is just a Samsung screen with a huge notch carved out of it

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
Can it run Photoshop? No

....it is a phone, not a workstation.

And not all professionals use the aforementioned software.

So what was your point, exactly.

Reactions: Davidhedge

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
....it is a phone, not a workstation.

And not all professionals use the aforementioned software.

So what was your point, exactly.

This^^^

The iPad is meant to do that because it is specifically designed to be a work station. All those feature the iPad Pro has really does not need to be in a smart phone. A smart phone is to make calls, have in your pocket and the rest is just extra tools to have in a smart phone that fits in your pocket. Why would I want an Apple Pencil on a 5.8 inch screen? Useless.

Reactions: Skoal

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
iPhone 11 Pro OLED screen is just a Samsung screen with a huge notch carved out of it

The oneplus 7 pro with a 90hz refresh is just a Samsung screen. Why didn’t the note 10 have it if they have the technology? Your points are invalid. Where does it say anywhere that the note has a 2,000,000:1 contrast ration? And 1200 nits peak brightness?

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
The oneplus 7 pro with a 90hz refresh is just a Samsung screen. Why didn’t the note 10 have it if they have the technology? Your points are invalid. Where does it say anywhere that the note has a 2,000,000:1 contrast ration? And 1200 nits peak brightness?

OLED has infinite contrast by definition. Apple put a random number on it to make it sound better than last year's OLED. Note 10 has 1308 nits peak brightness.

Reactions: TechGod

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
OLED has infinite contrast by definition. Apple put a random number on it to make it sound better than last year's OLED. Note 10 has 1308 nits peak brightness.

I just saw this on the Samsung website. I stand corrected sorry.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Can it run Photoshop? No

Who the h3ll is going to edit videos or autocad on a phone?

Reactions: Americasteam

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
This^^^

The iPad is meant to do that because it is specifically designed to be a work station. All those feature the iPad Pro has really does not need to be in a smart phone. A smart phone is to make calls, have in your pocket and the rest is just extra tools to have in a smart phone that fits in your pocket. Why would I want an Apple Pencil on a 5.8 inch screen? Useless.

Kinda my point really. The 11 Pro is essentially just a slightly better iPhone 11. I'm not saying it needs to do all the things the iPad Pro can do, I'm saying it's not doing enough things differently from the base iPhone 11. Screen and additional camera aside, the 11 is as "pro" as the 11 Pro for 3/4 the cost.

Which also kinda goes back to my initial statement, tags like "pro" is meaningless because it is so subjective it can mean so many different things to different people. I don't care if they call it a pro or a plus or a deluxe, it is just a name to differentiate itself from the normal iPhone 11. What I care about is objectively how much extra phone they're giving us for the extra premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechGod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.