The Iphone 4/4S looks the same debate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 5, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I'm glad Apple is doing a new colour for the Iphone 4S as I remember people saying at the time of the 4S launch it doesn't matter it looks the same as it's all about what the phone does. Atleast Apple have realised people want a few cosmetic changes like this new dual LED flash and different colours to stand it out from Iphone 5's. :)

Obviously some will still look the same but the new colours won't be for the Iphone 5.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The new "dual flash" will likely mean that many or not most of the iPhone 5 cases and shells will not work and we will have to buy new!:eek:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue will remain a hot button topic until Apple changes the external elements of the phone. Consumers will ask, ok it looks like the 5 why should I buy it? An honest question since most consumers don't really care about which CPU/GPU is in the phone. I'm not sure adding color options is enough to stave off the questions. I think Apple could go a long way by offering different form factors.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't really get why people get so uptight about what others think of the phone that are carrying.

That said, I thinks it's nuts Apple uses the same design for two years. With the size of Apple they should have the ability to redesign the exterior along with the internal on a yearly basis. At least the new colors give folks an option to get one that stands out. Personally if I was buying a 5S it would be black/slate just like my 5. I buy the color I like the best and not based on making sure everyone knows I have the latest phone, I simply don't care what anyone thinks about my phone.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I think it is rather simple. Lack of self confidence and self esteem, and the need to conform with others.

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I agree. Every year the phone should be different. I don't think we're at a stage quite yet to change the resolution every year but the casings definitely could be.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but "most consumers" don't update their phone every year.

And you know who does update every year? The die-hard fans that will update no matter what it looks like.

So what's the number of people who spend tons of money buying every new phone there is but ALSO decided to sit out the 'S' iPhone models because they look the same?

Is there even a single person who fits that description?

8. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Ugh, the classic 'lack of self confidence'. you can apply that argument to anything:

Why do people drink? --> Lack of self confidence and esteem
    Why do people watch movies --> Lack of serlf confidence and esteem
    Why do people like new things --> Lack of self confidence and esteem

I am not one of those who change phones frequently (in fact, hanging on to my 4s, skipping the whole 5 metal mess), but I don't judge.

9. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

His response is to "why do people care what others think. This does not apply to movies, drinks, etc. Good try tho

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

I think this is something that bothers the "hardcore" since they upgrade every year and expect something wildly different each time, but you have to recognise such people are in the minority - the vast majority are in contracts for 2+ years and won't think about upgrading until then, at which point there *will* always be a completely new design of iPhone with their name on it.

11. EM2013 macrumors 6502a

EM2013

Really? Cause I see a lot of fools on here and other places saying that they're selling or already sold their iphone 5 to upgrade. And a lot of them get every single iphone that comes out LOL

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Some people have to have every single iPhone that comes out. I tried iPhone 5 for a month and went back to an iPhone 4 for a little while. Now I'm on my 4S and honestly I think I'll stick with it unless the 5S is monumental (which I don't think it will be.). Idk if the 5C will be interesting enough and honestly I just love the look and feel of the 4/4S lol.

13. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Considering what it takes to produce apple's metal case designs, it wouldn't be practical to change it every year. What differentiates the different models is not only looks, but what it can do.

5C, while offering more Colors, will be plastic and not have LTE (IMO).
    5 will continue to be made, just like past iPhones, white/black, one memory capacity.
    5S will have white like 5, but two different colors graphite and champagne gold, but, the main differences will be, it will have the fastest processor of any smartphone right now, and enhanced security w/fingerprint sensor, also cam enhancements and more memory capacity, starting higher than the others (32/64/128GB).

The rumors suggest the above, and that the 5C is a replacement for the Entry Level iPhone, eliminating the 30-pin connector, and not a new model with new abilities. It seems to be an iPhone 5 innards, but no rumors of LTE or not, so I say, delete LTE, plastic back, you have a cheaper model that runs iOS 7 & up better than 4/4S, and only one non-LTE model in the lineup instead of two.

14. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

The 4s sold like hotcakes even though it looked like the 4.5s will do the same even if it didnt have different colors.

15. Dented macrumors 6502a

The 5C will have LTE because the networks expect that; in fact it will probably support more bands than the 5.

----------

Oh I'm not saying they're not buying them, just that it bothers them ;)

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

Can't believe I'm the first to point out that you said the new phone with new colors is a 4S and not 5S

17. cynics macrumors G3

I find it doubtful it will be LTE but it all depends on its market.

If its going to be marketed in China to run on China mobile (worlds largest carrier) using LTE it will need to be TD LTE. So it would be a network specific device and thus more costly.

If they did an GSM HPSA+ phone they could make a single model world phone. And basically do what Google did with the nexus 4 and make it cheap.

Maybe they will sell both there. A none LTE 5C for cheap and a network specific 5S that had dual band FDD / TDD LTE.

My greatest fear is Apple investing too much into the China market and China mobile. Impressing them with a new iPhone that is hardly an upgrade for us. And before anyone says, "why would they do that?!". China Mobile has 760 million subscribers, it would be a gold mine. It wasn't until the iPhone 5 that an iPhone even worked on their homegrown 3G.

18. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

My personal experience with iPhones. I always get the latest iPhone.

I remember when the 3gs came out. I remember reading threads before I bought mine. People were saying how fast it was. The first impression a lot of people got was that the 3gs phone was snappier and more responsive.

For me Siri sold me on the 4s.

I kind of want to have some reason to upgrade. And I think for me, if I hear the camera has been slightly improved or the processor is faster that doesn't get me excited. I almost take that as a given. Although like I said when I got my 3GS that was one of the big selling points.

I think psychologically the fact that the phone looks the same as the previous model is a big thing. But I like the way the iPhone has been going. I loved the iPhone 5 when it came out and even now. I don't want a 5" inch iPhone. So I am actually glad the 5s will look the same. In other words I loved the design and build quality of the iPhone 5 so much. I don't want to see it go.

Things I like about rumored 5s. New colors, I am considering the gold. 128 gb model. Finger print scanner. And iOS 7. I currently have an iPhone 5, and haven't used iOS 7 and don't want to till I get my 5s.

I do wonder what the future designs of the iPhone will be. I could see them using more of the front glass for screen. Like keep the same size just increase the screen. And I'm sure they will try to make new generations thinner. But down the road if apple keeps the size the same. And maybe just increases the screen. I wonder what new models would offer in terms of design?

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, this confused me too. Did we go back to 2010-2011?

20. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

haha. Was just reading this thread and couldn't believe it myself. Nice one :)