The iPhone 5 really has worse build quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Oct 21, 2012.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

All the demo models of the iPhone 5 that I have seen were severely scratched or damaged ( less than a month ). However, the demo models of the iPhone 4S look more new while they have been exposed to potential customer for almost a year.

I'm starting to think that "scratch gate" is real after inspecting the demo models in comparison to the iPhone 4S. So should I buy the iPhone 4S over the iPhone 5? ( i have never dropped a phone, so I'm not worried about the glass breaking. It's easily repaired anyway ).

2. FallenRook macrumors member

They replace those display phones every 2 weeks to 2 months. They probably replaced the 4S when they got the new phone and everybody that came in was only touch/beating the crap out of the iP5.

3. mcdj, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Why would you go for a inferior phone? The 5 is much better in every aspect, and the coating is not as scratchable as you think, i tried scratching it with a pair of keys and it did not scratch at all. I was trying to take off one of those 2 piece clear cases and there was a slot for you to use a quarter to open it, but i was trying really hard to open it and i finally did...i made a bunch of silver marks from the quarter and i thought "DAMM i scratched the hell out of my phone" but the marks came completly off with hard rubbing

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

6. Hpye macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 looks so beautiful and hard to get scratch unless it was scratch in the factory but in real life it's so hard .. Here look at my pretty phone

Attached Files:

7. Hpye macrumors 6502

I use olloclip for 4s to take these pic btw

Attached Files:

8. Hpye macrumors 6502

9. Hpye macrumors 6502

Olloclip macro

Attached Files:

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iphone 4s is certainly better at hiding damage, but i wouldn't let that be a reason to not buy iPhone 5. You probably wont have any issues

11. chadstyle macrumors member

The aluminum on the back and edges scratches pretty easily. The glass is tough as ever though. I've had my iPhone 5 since release day and have one small hair sized scratch on the back panel aluminum but other than that it looks brand new. I'm admittedly majorly OCD about all my stuff though so the average person definitely beats up their gear far worse than I do.

12. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I would say that the aluminum on the back of the iPhone 5 is easy to scratch but as for the whole phone itself when it comes to fall damage is not as bad as other smartphones.

It holds well from multiple fall damage because of the lightness and thinner glass.

13. Radiating macrumors 65816

Just get a bumper and screen protector or full body protective coating if you're worried. If you scratch clear vinyl (which is very hard) just replace the protector. You can even get matte vynil and its nearly impossible to tell there is a protector if applied right.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

i got the iphone 5 last week. not a scratch on it. just get the 5 you wont regret it.

15. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Are you serious

16. darcyjames macrumors member

darcyjames

Absolutely yep

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I keep seeing pictures of god around, that doesn't mean they're real.

18. travo112 macrumors newbie

Maybe that depends on where you are. I worked for Verizon for years and we never replaced our iPhones or iPads. Ever.

19. michaelmac3 macrumors member

My 5 has shown wear quicker than my 4's or 4S's did, but if you're careful with them or use cases it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, aluminium anodizing will wear off. News at 11. Unless it's the thick kind found on flashlights for example, but if Apple did that you'd all be complaining that you want the gunmetal look they use now :rolleyes: Can't have it both ways folks, and no, Apple's anodizing is not magical (no, really, it's not). That won't stop me from getting the black one though. Whenever the hell 3-4 weeks becomes 2-3 days that is.

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers