The iPhone 5c isn't 'cool'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kurso, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Kurso macrumors 6502

I made a deal with my daughter that if she got straight A's on her next report card she could get a cell phone. Well she came home yesterday with straight A's.

My natural response was to ask her what color of iPhone 5c she wanted. I thought a 13yo girl is a natural target for the 5c because it's well... colorful. Her response surprised me.

She proceeded to lecture me on how the 5c looks cheap and that plastic phones are 'not cool' and how none of her friends would be seen with one. All of this with the typical flare and drama of a 13yo girl.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but if the iPhone 5c is getting labeled as 'not cool' by 13yo kids, on top of the fact that it appears too expensive for China, who the hell did they build this phone for?

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Let's judge the strategy of a multibillion dollar company by a 13 year old girl.

3. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Dumb response. OP makes a good point that people like myself are interested in. I've been trying to figure out Apple's target market with this thing since they showed it on Tuesday.

I thought it was for teenage girls this whole time too... Will be fun to see who guys these things :)

4. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you mean by the most sought after demographics in the mobile space?

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Shipping times haven't really slipped much at all in the Apple's store, which means supplies are still plentiful. This may or may not mean anything but if I recall correctly, shipping times slipped pretty quickly after pre-orders opened a year ago for the iPhone 5.

So your daughter's opinion may not be far off.

FWIW, on another extremely popular non-technology forum I frequent where members ages range from 14 - 45, there is zero buzz for the 5c and 5S and actually several threads expressing displeasure and anger towards Apple with the consensus seemingly being that both new phones are a lame update and a blatant cash grab by Apple.

7. TC03 macrumors 65816

Good to know some things never change. :)

8. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Having a job, a chequing account, and responsibilities aren't "cool" to a 13 year old girl either. But I suppose we might as well base all of our decisions, especially a complex one like which iPhone to purchase, off of the opinions of a 13 year old girl.

:rolleyes:

9. Beelzbub macrumors regular

Who cares what people think.

Get what you want and don't worry about what others think, do you what you like and what makes you happy.

Yes I can easily afford a new 5S, but I like the Green iPhone 5C, that is what I will be getting, could care less what others think, it is about what makes me happy.

Not too long ago the iPhone 3 and 3GS were made out of plastic and they were the rave then.

It cracks me up that people complain about the 5C when most of them slap a plastic case on their iPhone anyways LOL.

Do what makes you happy.

10. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

LOl. Did you even read what OP said?

Alright this thread is doomed. I'm moving on ;)

11. Beelzbub macrumors regular

Yeah I did LOL, sorry been a rough morning, not much coffee, perhaps I shall get more. I have read so many threads with people complaining about the 5C and this and that. It cracks me up.

I am willing to bet the 13 year old girl in the OP's post will put a plastic case on whatever phone she gets.

Im off to get more coffee and pre order my green iPhone :)

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I agree I'm surprised that right now the delivery date is still Sept. 20. Usually by this time for a new release the delivery date is at least a week or two after the launch date.

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Worse yet by ONE 13 year old girl.

14. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Another one who can't read. ;)

15. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

My 12 year daughter said she would trade her white/silver iPhone 5 for a White 5c and said all her friends at school would too.

:rolleyes:

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, it's about manipulation.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Well thats it then, its all over for the iPhone 5c. :(

A single 13 year old girl has deemed it to be rubbish so clearly apple must not only stop production, but also collect every 5c made so far and burn them all.

Its a shame, it had such a short life. But clearly theres no other option now.

18. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Seriously people?

The OP has started what I think is an interesting thread based on his own direct observations with his daughter.

He's not bitching or complaining about the phone or Apple, so give it a rest.

And yes, his observation of his daughters reaction may mean nothing. Or, if his daughters' reaction is repeated several million times around the world, Apple might lower the price or discontinue the model in a year.

With Apple still selling the 4S, I'm not sure Apple themselves are convinced that the 5C strategy will work longer term.

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

You're surprised? This phone is almost identical in functionality to the iPhone 5 that is already out. The iPhone 5s estimated delivery dates are what will be delayed.

20. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You are lying.

/thread

21. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I wonder what the majority demographic is on THIS forum? 16 year old kids?

I really don't think that but this thread seems to have attracted the biggest tards on here. Or they just haven't had their coffee yet :).
    (Please let it be that, please! For the sake of humanity!)

22. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Yeah but the teeny bopper crowd doesn't know or care about specs. I thought this would be a big seller to that crowd.

23. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

Spoiled enough to get a $549 (retail cost) cell phone at age 13 = spoiled enough to know you can't show up to school with the "cheap" 5C over the "expensive" 5S.

24. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

That's awesome! Actually, it would snap right back into place if it were polycarbonate. :rolleyes:

25. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys, I consider myself an Apple fan. I have an 2 Apple TVs, iPhone, Time Capsule, and three MacBook Pros of various flavors. I'm not in here trying to bash Apple.

The demographic my daughter falls in is critical to the mobile phone market and the ecosystem that surrounds it. And at this age there is little in the way of a fanboy mentality. They are fickle, impulsive and can change trends overnight.

While you may not care what my daughter thinks or even accuse me of lying (which someone just did) the industry as a whole does care if her perception becomes the general perception.

Keep your eyes closed, that way it will pass you by.