The iPhone 5's display...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Sep 2, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

If you look at the display in the video taken by The Verge of the iPhone 5 mockup's display compared to the iPhone 4S's display, you'll notice that it is much darker and the blackness of it is much deeper than that of the 4S... this leads me to believe Apple may be using a different display panel than those used on past iPhone's. Please leave your thoughts below.

Take a look for yourself (skip to 0:43 in the video): http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/2/3286722/iphone-5-mockup-ifa-2012-video#ooid=1lYzdzNTrrucNXZTfoS1hVzajSUKIKyp

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

my comment was mean - I think you are correct

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea that's been established. In-cell technology is used on the new display. And there's a chance that it is IGZO too.

4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was reading through the comments on The Verge and no on else seemed to mention it, but it was the first thing that stuck out to me... figured I'd make a thread and see others opinions/speculation on it.

5. kannesss macrumors 6502a

wait...you're saying the screen on the Mockup, is darker than the iphone 4s screen that isnt a computer generated mockup...

yep. i agree. photoshop is son of a bitch

6. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

The mockup is a real device that you can hold. It's not "made in photoshop". The mockup uses real parts that are rumored to be used in the next iPhone, including the display.

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

Did it ever occur to you that it's much darker and its blackness is much deeper than the 4S because IT'S MERELY A MOCKUP....?

There is no actual screen or guts behind the outer glass. Of course it will look different.

8. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Again, the mockup uses real parts that are rumored to be in the next iPhone, including the display. By the way, relax with the caps. It was unnecessary.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's nothing more than a dummy. No working innards here. See http://www.imore.com/hands-iphone-5-dummy-ifa-2012

10. kannesss macrumors 6502a

so the spent time making a fake iphone with rumors? thats crazy. i never imagined anyone taking that much time for kinda nothing...

my bad about photoshop:D

11. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, damn. That's a shame. Was looking forward to a new display with deeper blacks and whiter whites. Carry on, carry on.

12. james92se macrumors 6502a

Ironic you tell me something is unnecessary after you smugly called somebody else in this thread "dense". Good timing though telling me to relax AFTER you edited out your own unnecessary comment. :)

Anyway, there is no way that particular mock up uses real parts. The fit and finish is pretty poor. The home button is crooked and not flush. It actually looks like the home buttons you see on fake Chinese iPhones.

I would highly doubt a case manufacturer would go through the trouble/cost to build their own iPhone from parts complete with fully functioning guts just for the sake of getting the physical dimensions in order to manufacture cases. I am not denying that real parts are leaking, and while the physical dimensions of the phone in your link is very likely to be exact to the real thing, I just do not believe that phone in your link is built from real parts.

There's a reason they're calling it a mock up. Because it's just a mock up (which by definition inherently means it's not the real thing per se).

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We're still rumored to get a new display with in-cell technology, etc.

14. james92se macrumors 6502a

Does the in-cell technology result in any tangible difference in look? It was my understanding that it merely allowed it to be ever so slightly thinner

15. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I realized I crossed the line and edited it out, no big deal. I thought I had read an article stating that it was made using legitimate "iPhone 5" parts, so I assumed that meant the display. I was proven incorrect by another poster who also posted a source saying it was just a dummy unit.

The in-cell tech might make the display brighter with better colors since not as much light has to be emitted from the backlight in order to maintain the same level of brightness found on the iPhone 4S which uses thicker glass and more piece in the way of the backlight and the actual glass display when compared to a display using in-cell technology. Either way, I'm really hoping the iPhone 5's display has better colors or something, that'd be a nice little feature. That's not to say it already isn't an incredible display, because it definitely is. But better colors is always a plus.

Are you planning on preordering the next iPhone?

16. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've always thought the 4/4S has incredible colors. Though I never noticed until I brought my iPhone 2G out of retirement last month when I sold my 4S but my 4S had a definite yellow/dim tinge to it compared to the original iPhone when comparing side by side. The 4S was obviously much crisper/clearer/etc from
    the retina display but seems dimmer due to the yellowish display compared to my original. Hopefully they fix that

I will be pre-ordering but I'm undecided as to whether or not to buy outright or do the "early upgrade" through ATT for the extra $250 over subsidized price.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why would u be undecided? You'd be silly not to outright buy it. With the early upgrade you'll be paying ~$500 for a 16g after upgrade fees, etc. and you'll be locking into a 2 year deal. Totally not worth it. Spend the few extra bucks and own it.

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

Haha, well, to be honest, kind of dorky - but it's only because I've set a very aggressive credit-card-payoff budget for myself. My 2012 New Years resolution was/is to pay off all my credit card debt this year.

I actually planned all my expenditures/budget for the entire year to have my CC's paid off by year's end. I had allotted ~$850 for the iPhone 5 this next paycheck. BUT - I just unexpectedly had to buy a new IACV for one of my cars which chewed up $200.

So now I've "only" got ~$650 to spend on the iPhone 5 if I'm to stay on budget. I've calculated (assuming prices stay the same) that if I use the early upgrade option through AT&T it'll cost me $633 for the 32gb. If I buy outright it'll cost me $810 for the 32gb after taxes.

So, if I buy outright that's knocking me off budget by $180. I know it's not much but I've had a string of things this year knock me off, and all those little things add up. It's really hard to be strict with it. So that's why I'm undecided. But I'll probably cave and buy outright :p

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

$633 this year and 2 year contract + $810 next year when u want to upgrade again =$1443

$810 this year + ~$320 ($299 + tax fully subsidized 32gig) next year = $1130

If ur like me and upgrade every time something new comes out, you're better off fully buying this year, and getting a full subsidy next.

20. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Lol, just saw a new picture of the front panel of the iPhone 5 on the front page of MR, and its definitely darker than the iPhone 4S's display next to it, and the article says that it is a real front panel, so no more with the confusion if it being a dummy haha. :D

The iPhone 5's rumored front panel looks as black as the border around the display. You literally cannot tell the difference between the display and the black bezels/borders... or maybe its just me and I'm dumb lol.

See for yourself:

[​IMG]