The iPhone 6 really looks fantastic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Aug 31, 2014.

?

iPhone 6 design - yay, or nay?

1. Yay!

51.2%
  2. Nay!

9.0%
  3. Undecided - need to see it in person

39.8%
  1. ThatsMeRight, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

*sigh* Another one of those threads...

So, I've seen some threads complaining about the iPhone 6's design... but honestly, I prefer it above the iPhone 5(S) design.

And here are some of my reasons:

- The curved glass looks sleek
    - No big bars for reception
    - It's not square but rounded

The curved glass looks really sleek and, from what I have seen from the leaks, look like an absolutely stunning detail. Just like the chamfered edges set the iPhone 5's design apart, the curved glass will set the iPhone 6's design apart. While definitely not unique to the iPhone, it's a stunning detail.

While the original leaks with the antenna lines didn't look that fantastic, more recent leaks have shown slightly smaller antenna lines - and they are also coloured to fit with the aluminium. In my opinion, this is much better than the big bars the iPhone 5 design has. Also, since there is no glass at the rear, your iPhone has a bigger chance of surviving the impact.
    Note: I get why people might not really love the antenna lines on the iPhone 6, but in my opinion it looks better than those huge iPhone 5 antenna bars.

Third, it's rounded! While the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 definitely look good with its square design, I have always preferred the original iPhone and iPhone 3G(S) - and yes, the iPhone 5C - in terms of comfortability. The rounded edges simply fit the natural curve of your hand so much better.

And on a final note, I get why some people may not like the protruding camera - but I would gladly take it if it means improved camera quality. Also, I don't think it looks that bad. ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rumoured 4.7" iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 5S (right)

2. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I use a case regardless, especially now that I have a nine month old he grabs, swipes, and puts everything in his mouth.

I think the back of the phone has definitely looked nicer, but there are plenty of uglier phones you could be using too. Certainly not enough to keep me away.

Really hoping for a 5.5" and NFC as well.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I like it because its sort of a throwback to the original design with the rounded edges, the first iPhone is still one of my favorites as far as design and feel.

[​IMG]

5. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Yep - I'm onboard with the apparent new look. :)

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I absolutely love it - looks much cleaner than the 5/5s in my opinion.

There were a few pictures floating around of the gold shell earlier today, and the bands are fairly well colour-matched. I think they look great.

7. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Need to see it in person. The thick bands are really unattractive in the leaks. Hopefully they are there for a really good reason (to facilitate wireless charging??) which would make them a bit more palatable.

9. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I don't see why they can't be the same as the current iPhones. Nice and thin.
    http://cdn.iphonehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/iphone-side-SIM.jpg
    Hoping for the best lol

10. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

I definitely need to see it in person. I'll be purchasing it regardless of the design, but I'm not a huge fan of the back. I don't hate it either. I'll probably be throwing a case on anyway.

11. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

That is because the current ones use a different material in the back above and below the bands. Looks like for the iP6 they are doing away with the glass in the back and using metal but then they have to use the thicker bands... at least that is how I understand it.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I need to see the final design first. Then I'll decide.
    I wouldn't mind the bands if they matched the aluminum to the 't'. But it doesn't seem to be the case with all these mock ups.

14. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Yea I get that, but I don't know. They can do much better than those thick bands. I'd prefer glass. Or even the first generation iPhone giant band. over those lines lol

----------

agreed. at least the black or grey one doesn't stand out as much as the gold

15. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

I think it depends entirely on what the final design looks like in person. Some of the earlier "factory leaks" looked really bad, but some of the newer "leaks" are actually looking pretty nice. Maybe it's just because I'm getting used to the design, but I don't hate it. So we'll see what happens September 9 I guess.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Earlier leaks are not factory leaks, they were 3D molds based on leaked design specs. Current leaks are parts coming from the assembly line.

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm not crazy about the lines on the back and the camera is still concerning me (better have a DAMN good reason for it) but overall I do like the look and will be pre-ordering. :cool:

:apple:

18. cnotes2019 Suspended

I'll pass. But my evil twin will purchase both.

19. the caveman macrumors 6502

Why are the photos so dark? Does this guy have an access to light? Cant really see anything

20. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I agree with Forbes, it's awfully ugly.

But I don't care it's just a tool I use. Jonny Ive was too busy traveling or whatever he does when not collecting awards for work done years ago. Or if he did have some involvement he took the easy way out.

Besides it'll need a case to provide scuff protection, therefore it's appearance is of no relevance.

21. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Completely agree with this. The gold & sliver 5S look hideous to me compared to the alleged iphone 6.

22. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

I meant the more recent ones from around the time production started, ones that looked really rough and unpolished. Quite possibly fake, but they weren't all that attractive. The leaks from the last week or so have been looking a lot more polished and "final".

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with you on that.

24. Jfriend33 macrumors newbie

Why? If you don't like it then maybe you should get something else? Just because it's new doesn't mean you have to buy it. All the other kids are doing it though...

As a former apple user from 1990-1997, I do miss their little bells and whistles. But even the insurance replacement cost is too high for something like the iphone.

They are great for people who want simplicity and beauty. But if you want the ability to modify like tethering with Verizon you'll have to look elsewhere.

25. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Every year people complain about how the leaked images look.

Just wait 'til you see some glossy marketing photos from Apple when it is announced, those same people will be drooling.

Personally, I really like the design, it's rounded, minimalistic and looks completely premium. I just need to decide which colour I am getting.